PDA

View Full Version : Combi-Weapons

Try Again Bragg
22-03-2008, 11:17
Is the one-shot per battle rule there for the sake of game balance or does it truly reflect these weapons' fluff?

I understand getting only one shot at a time. I could easily see how the grafted-on weapons would drain an energy cell, containment flask, or fuel tank all at once, but (fluff-wise, not in-game) why can't the bearer carry more loads with him/her to take their place? This would not allow them continuous fire, but it would keep their combi-weapon from becoming just a bolter after it's load is through.

Think of the modern day armies of many countries. Soldiers with under-slung grenade launchers carry around more than a single grenade even if they can only load and fire one at a time.

What do you think?

Dragonlv8
22-03-2008, 11:25
Realisticaly they probably should have more than one shot, my guees is for game balance.

Chem-Dog
22-03-2008, 11:27
I think it's largely a game ballance issue, nobody wants to see a high Bs character with a jump pack Melta-ing every tank on the battlefield (he says ignoring the Autarch :rolleyes:)!
As for limited ammo capacity, watch Aliens, all you need is a roll of gaffa tape and you too can have a combi flamer ;)

Faolan
22-03-2008, 11:40
It's about game balance. You find in various places in fluff that, say, a flamer has, fully loaded, about 14s of fire spraying goodness in it before it needs a refill.

Sir_Turalyon
22-03-2008, 11:46
In 2nd edition it was as many shots as you want, as long as only one weapon is fired per turn. Then rules were changed without serious changes in fluff. Eighter game balance, or versions of combi-weapons that fire more shots exist but are very rare. Ase rare as anti-plant missles and Guard seregants with power weapons.

pom134
23-03-2008, 09:13
yea i mean could you imagine a squad of CSM terms firing combi plas everyturn? best anti meq ever

Timber_Wolf
23-03-2008, 13:31
yea i mean could you imagine a squad of CSM terms firing combi plas everyturn? best anti meq ever
well, they exists and are named obliberators ;)
but, actually, they are at least balanced point wise ;)

so, yes. iīve looked through some old stuff and thereīs nowhere stated that combi-weapons are one shot only, so itīs just balance (as remarked before)

Leftenant Gashrog
23-03-2008, 15:01
In 2nd edition it was as many shots as you want, as long as only one weapon is fired per turn.

Actually you could fire both barrels, but only at the same target, and suffered a -1 penalty to hit.

Kruz
23-03-2008, 17:35
It's purely a game balance issue; I think we would see continuous fire in a piece of literature. I am reminded of the America's Army video game. The SF maps allowed you to have an under slung M203 on your SOPMOD M4...but only one round of ammunition per player. This was to prevent everyone form becoming spam monsters. The only player who had more nades was the one who took the "G" slot (grenadier), as this was the designated slot for the squad grenadier and his primary purpose was to blow stuff up. [Be advised that I haven't played AA in over a year and a half...so it may have changed.:p]