PDA

View Full Version : Need a chapter name for my DIY marines

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 18:45
As my title suggests I need a name for my DIY Space Marine army. They are primarily a shooting army and are painted with Catachan green and shining gold, as I typically use the SEE BUT DON'T BEE SEEN trait. Disadvantage is usually Flesh over steel. I change the second trait depending on who i'm fighting.

Bookwrak
22-03-2008, 19:22
Bolter and Chainsword has a name generator for Space Marines chapters, although the last time I used it, I ended up with the Thunder Hippos.

The Laughing Man!
22-03-2008, 20:02
The best thing to do is think of a descriptive name (marauders, rampagers, destroyers) or an element/colour and a animal/limb/object as these are the most comon naming conventions, for example: Iron Hands, Black templars, Blood ravens, etc, etc.

I also find it helps to think up everything else before a name, if you think up the origins, combat doctorine, organisation, etc before a name you'll often find that a name will become obvious to you from the background you've written, picking a chapter symbol that you like will help a great deal also.

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 20:03
I used that generator and got the same stuff. Needless to say, none of it felt right.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2008, 20:05
The Raging Dandelions.

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 20:09
The Raging Dandelions.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....... I am at a loss for words. :wtf:

Serious names are better, thank you.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2008, 20:29
Hey, thats more serious than the Rainbow Warriors...

Besides, you're not serious about your own chapter, so how can you expect anybody else to be? Why else would you change your traits?

Vedar
22-03-2008, 20:35
I always liked "Murderous Hamsters", but that might just be me.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2008, 20:39
Miniature Giant Space Hamsters?

Lord Malorne
22-03-2008, 20:40
What's your favourite colour? What mythical beast do you like? ...Black....Dagons...Black Dragons :D.

McBain006
22-03-2008, 20:46
Hmmm, Sneaky, Shooty, wear green... something Robin Hoodish?

Silvarius
22-03-2008, 20:49
jungle leopards or golden tigers?

Neknoh
22-03-2008, 20:51
Shadow Paws

Green Arrows

Green Shadows

Shades of Green/Death

Try Again Bragg
22-03-2008, 20:56
Mighty Ducks!

Careful, you might get sued. :P

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 21:07
Hmmm, Sneaky, Shooty, wear green... something Robin Hoodish?

The Men In Power Tights?

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 21:13
How about Viridian Hunters or Viridian Stalkers

smokingmonkee
22-03-2008, 21:19
My vote is for Purple Rain.

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 21:23
My vote is for Purple Rain.:wtf:

Sorry don't get this one either. I'm going to put this on the B&C as maybe there I will get some serious answers. Not that I don't enjoy a good joke.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2008, 21:28
Why do you want somebody else to name your chapter? Its hardly going to be your chapter if 1) you don't use the same rules every game and 2) somebody else named it.

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 21:37
Different parts of the chapter specialize at different types of fighting. And I want some suggestions or how anyone else named their army for ispiration. Also, your opinions on the names Viridian Stalkers would be appreciated.

syntax234
22-03-2008, 21:38
flaming wild aardvarks?

Captain Uriel
22-03-2008, 22:17
flaming wild aardvarks?:wtf::wtf::mad:
OMG is every body drunk.:cries: I want to know what you think about the Viridian Hunters as my chapter name.

The Laughing Man!
23-03-2008, 03:10
Different parts of the chapter specialize at different types of fighting. And I want some suggestions or how anyone else named their army for ispiration. Also, your opinions on the names Viridian Stalkers would be appreciated.

TBH thatís a pretty poor excuse for changing your list depending on your opponent which is in turn poor sportsmanship.

I am guilty of it myself I used to change my lists like that when I first started the hobby now however I find that taking on all comers with the same list to be very satisfying. Especially with Marines as they excel at it.

Viridian Hunters IMO is not such a great name for two reasons 1) your space marines are not viridian and 2) Quite a few people wonít know that viridian is just a fancy name for a certain shade of green, Marines tend not to be fancy they are blunt and to the point for example if the Black Templars where instead called The Obsidian Templars or the Red Corsairs were The Vermillion Corsairs while both are cool names in their own way they just donít have that harsh bluntness working for them. Also it of course means that your marines are basically called The Green Hunters although an easy way around this would be to change the spelling and make it their homeworld, Veridian for example.

Captain Uriel
23-03-2008, 03:14
I like that, Veridian is the homeworld, thank you.

I've thusly decided on Veridian Angels, as opposed to hunters.

The extent of the changes I make to my list are whether I use infiltrate on my basic marines or not. Choosing whether to do this based on the opponent is not cheesy at all.

Lord Cook
23-03-2008, 03:19
Mantis Warriors? - To fit with the green.

Serious names are better, thank you.

You can't ask for chapter names on Warseer without bracing yourself for a healthy dose of semi-funny humour. You walked into this one IMO.

Captain Uriel
23-03-2008, 12:51
Mantis Warriors? - To fit with the green.

You can't ask for chapter names on Warseer without bracing yourself for a healthy dose of semi-funny humour. You walked into this one IMO.

1. The Mantis warrior are an actual chapter and I wish to play a DIY chapter and have already started on it's background story:):)

2. Yes, I suppose I did, oh well. I had a thread a while ago for a Dark Eldar Lord anf got things like: Fist McHardcheese or Big McLargehuge, or Fuzzy Underpants etc.:D

The Laughing Man!
23-03-2008, 14:46
The extent of the changes I make to my list are whether I use infiltrate on my basic marines or not. Choosing whether to do this based on the opponent is not cheesy at all.

It really is. Changing anything is, besides I can't think of a enemy I wouldn't wan't to use infiltrate against.

five01st
23-03-2008, 16:24
Why do you want somebody else to name your chapter? Its hardly going to be your chapter if 1) you don't use the same rules every game and 2) somebody else named it.

How do you know he is actually going to use the name. The OP might just be looking for inspiration.

Different parts of the chapter specialize at different types of fighting. And I want some suggestions or how anyone else named their army for inspiration. Also, your opinions on the names Viridian Stalkers would be appreciated.

Some of these names are really good. Although, chalk it up to bais, but while I like the Stalkers part, I don't like the Viridian. It seems a bit of an odd color that I never quite liked. Still, I think I'll use the Stalkers ending for my chapter's name.

Konstantin
23-03-2008, 18:27
Bolter and Chainsword has a name generator for Space Marines chapters, although the last time I used it, I ended up with the Thunder Hippos.
Thunder Thunder Thunder Cats HOOOOOO.
I vote for Thunder Cats.

Captain Uriel
24-03-2008, 00:54
I've decided on Veridian Angel, now to wri te the story, oh god.

The Laughing Man!
24-03-2008, 13:38
Thunder Thunder Thunder Cats HOOOOOO.
I vote for Thunder Cats.

The thunder cats symbol would be a pretty badass chapter badge come to think of it.

leonmallett
24-03-2008, 13:46
It really is. Changing anything is, besides I can't think of a enemy I wouldn't wan't to use infiltrate against.

I am inclined to agree with The Laughing Man! and Slaaneshi Slave that any change of traits to fit the opponent has little to do with background/theme/fluff, and almost everything to do with leveraging a competitive edge.

I say this as a player with two homebrew chapters - one of which I chose disadvantages to fit the history rather than the least limiting ones, whilst the other uses the Blodd Angels list. To change on the fly as it were is little to do with consistent background.

leonmallett
24-03-2008, 13:50
I've decided on Veridian Angel, now to write the story, oh god.

Veridian Angels sounds good, as did Veridian Hunters in my book (Stalkers sounds a bit Eldar-ish in my mind).

Good luck. With homebrew there is a lot to think about - chapter symbols, squad markings, company markings, chapter organisation (how closely they adhere to the Codex astartes in this regard) let alone background and fluff reasons for any significant divergance. Any plans for a project log?

Lieutenant Ranik
26-03-2008, 04:30
Well... I use a Chaos Space Marine Chapter called the Forsaken Sons. Thier background comes from a DIY chapter I created called the Beloved Sons... Its not Imperial, but the "parent" chapter is. Personally I like "Sons" rather than "Angels" because its a more humble name IMHO, an admirable quality among Space Marines. Of course its all up to you so... just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Aun'aart'al
27-03-2008, 06:14
my marines are an Iron Hands successor chapter, so I just took Iron from Iron Hands, and I took a powerful creature from stories - a Dragon - and came up with the Iron Dragons Space Marines :D

Victomorga
27-03-2008, 22:38
oh, I remember your DE thread. I was, to put it delicately, not very helpful (until the end, when I think I redeemed myself).

I like "the star cobras" or "galactic cobras."

but sticking with color in the name: I think viridian sounds a little weak. as greens go, I would say "emerald".

the emerald cobras
the emerald stalkers
the emerald centurions
the emerald destroyers

I'm not a big fan of more "angel" chapters.

do you have a logo yet?

(PLEASE someone post, I hate to keep editing)

how about a one-name title, like "the annihilators"?

or you could use a glittery dollar sign as your logo, and be "the ca$h money millionaires." your officers could have gold teeth, and you could convert 4-finger rings for them.