PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle, I need help!

xmichaelx
09-10-2005, 21:21
Can anyone help me with my nurgle army, i need something good against shooting and i was thinking about making furies, one unit of 20 furies.But i wondered if there was somthing better than furies.And if someone has some good tips, let me know.
Thx and Grtz
Michael

branchwrath
09-10-2005, 21:26
20 Furies is overkill to an extreme...

Though it is the only type thing Nurgle could really take against shooting... There's always a decent sized unit of Marauder Horsemen, give them flails and when they reach combat, splat (usually)!

Arnizipal
09-10-2005, 21:41
For fliers/skirmishers like Furies, I think 8-12 will do.
IIRC Furies have decent Leadership, so they won't easily panic when taking casualties. They also cause fear and have a ward save, meaning that small numbers can still be effective.

If you think you're going up against a really shooty army, you can always take another unit.

branchwrath
09-10-2005, 21:54
I believe Furies are 0-1

Arnizipal
09-10-2005, 22:03
Oops, my bad :o

User Name
09-10-2005, 22:14
many small units of warhounds to block Los and charge warmachiens... they can do allright against them in small numbers,

Minutaurs insted of knights as they have 3 wounds and a 4+ save for being nurgle.

Screamin Daemon
09-10-2005, 22:40
ummm what? where did the dwarf discussion come from???

Back on topic...20 furies??!?! holy crap that's alot. I take 5. I've never seen more than 10. These guys are great for annoying things and taking out warmachines, but I wouldn't invest 300 points for 20. They just don't have the staying power to be used as a hitting unit, and more than 10 skirmishers is dirty, and hard to move around.

If anti war machine is your problem, the take warhounds. They are cheep and fast, and 5 of them can generally take out enough of the crew to win combat. They will not, however, be able to beat a regiment of crossbows or guns. I suggest you take marauder horsemen with flails for that situation. Both units are cheep, and good at taking out small things.

Minitors and knights would definetly do the job, that is overkill for a gun line...

xmichaelx
10-10-2005, 21:02
Okay,
thanks for the help,but i still think i should get a big unit because i often play 3000pts against a high elf player and he play's dirty (6 repeater boltthrowers,72 archers 3 mages,etc.) and i dont think horseman or warhounds even get over the middle of the table.and because nurgle is a slow army.I shoud get a big unit of furies to compensate the speed and to be able to kill some crew at the 2nd turn.don't you think?

Arnizipal
11-10-2005, 20:42
When it comes to fast cavalry and skirmishers/fliers it's better to take quantity over quality. If you take a big unit of furies and nothing else, and you fumble one dice roll you can forget about taking out warmachines and mages.
That's why it's best to take multiple smaller units. Even when facing 6 repeater bolt throwers it's still hard to take out two units of marauder horsemen, a unit of warhounds and a unit of furies in two turns.

xmichaelx
12-10-2005, 18:25
When it comes to fast cavalry and skirmishers/fliers it's better to take quantity over quality. If you take a big unit of furies and nothing else, and you fumble one dice roll you can forget about taking out warmachines and mages.
That's why it's best to take multiple smaller units. Even when facing 6 repeater bolt throwers it's still hard to take out two units of marauder horsemen, a unit of warhounds and a unit of furies in two turns.

Yes but furies is 0-1 unit :-)
so it's one unit.

MarcoPollo
14-10-2005, 22:22
Take a unit or two of cheap beast herds. I used to have the same problem with my slaanesh army and all my expensive troops used to get shot up and there was no punch left by the time my units got to the front lines. With these cheap skirmishers, you can really allow your more expensive units to take one round of shooting before they get the charge off.

Of course now I use a beast army of Khorne and do some ambushing and that really takes out alot of my opponents war machines. But a beast army of Nurgle with ambush would be quite good too. You can still have all your favourite mortal troops. But making it ambushable with lots of herds to protect them will certainly put a crimp in your High elf opponents plans.

BoosterX
29-10-2005, 15:54
Yes but furies is 0-1 unit :-)
so it's one unit.

"Originally Posted by Arnizipal

That's why it's best to take multiple smaller units. ...still hard to take out 2 units of marauder horsemen, 1 unit of warhounds and 1 unit of furies in............... 2 turns."

So thats multiple smaller units for warmachines...
Maurauder Horsemen = 1
Unit of Warhounds = 1
Furies = 1

So I see 3 units being smaller and, well 2 more units than one giant batch of furies.

So where are you seeing more than 1 unit of furies again?

lol

Savnock
01-11-2005, 21:52
All good points from the previous posters. I play Nurgle too, and find warmachines to be a problem, but rarely archers, etc. Dwarf handguns are much nastier.

To summarize:
-Furies are not worth it in units of over 10.
-Multiple small units will eventually get to the shooters. At 3000 points, you can afford at least 6 anti-shooter units (ideally 8), and if he's concentrated on taking these out, your hand-to-hand units (at least 2000 points worth) should arrive relatively unscathed. These units can be retasked as flankers when the CC part rolls around, after the enemy shooters are either neutralized or force to defend themselves close in.
-Warhounds are disposable, an will both draw fire/distract your opponent, and block LOS/act as meatshields.
-If you're not playing a pure mortal army, beast herds will do you well, even if they're not ambushing. The Ungor die to shooting but take a while to do so, and then the Gor can deal with any weedy Elves once they get in close. Only problem is psychology, so either go for 3 or 4 small units, or 2 large ones heavy on ungor.
-Finally, don't get psyched out. Grit your teeth (fangs?) and keep wading in- eventually, you'll get stuck in and murder him. Don't get down when you get beaten. And try playing a few smaller games to try out the tactics mentioned in this thread- a 3,000 point game is a big time investment for trying out new things.

Now go get that pointy-eared b*stard.