PDA

View Full Version : Re-Conscripted to the Council of Thirteen

Lord Obsidianus
22-03-2008, 23:48
I've never ventured into the fantasy forums since I rejoined but the call of the council is present once more.

I'm thinking of running a fantasy campaign(Mighty Empires) and want to run my skaven with it.

I haven't played the rats since 7th was released and though i ahve the rulebook I don't know all of the intimate details.

What I charge to all who would help me is to help me build a list and let me know whats changed in the last couple years rule wise.

I'd like to build a 1000, 1500 and 2000 point list.

Here are the models I have access to with the possibility of adding a few more but nothing drastic.

Char.
Grey Seer(currently converting cause I don't like the stock model)
2x Warplock Engineer(one for storm daemon build, one converted with a globe)
Cheiftan(equipped with ambiguous weaponry that I can argue is any combination)
Battle Standard
Plague Priest(fancily converted Censor bearer)

Core
3 x 30 units of clanrats
Giant rats 42 models(6 packmasters and 36 rats)
Ratling gun
Warpfire thrower

Special
30 Plague Monks
4 Rat ogres & handlers
13 Eschin models(most with 2 hand weapons, but can represent knives or stars easily)(also have a bunch of other models I could build to add onto this unit)

Rare
Lightning Cannon
8 Plague Censors

Let me know what you all think could work; I wish I had the money, patience and time to make some slave units work but at this point tahts not feasable.

Thanks

Lord Obsidianus
22-03-2008, 23:51
I should probably say that my expected opponents are Dark Elves, High Elves, Brettonians, Empire and perhaps Vampires(VC not as likely as the .others)

W0lf
23-03-2008, 00:05
Get some jezzails and another engineer.

3x 30 clan rats.

One unit has seer and warlock other 2 have warlock (or something similar).

Throw in some jezzails and its good times.

Lord Obsidianus
23-03-2008, 00:10
Get some jezzails and another engineer.

3x 30 clan rats.

One unit has seer and warlock other 2 have warlock (or something similar).

Throw in some jezzails and its good times.

This quote makes me a little SAD...

jezzail aren't a bad idea though, which special would you all reccommend to replace with them? The rat ogres?

Is the skaven assassin worth it? I've always envisioned an assasin with warpstone stars being skitterleaped by the seer right next to the enemy mages and giving me complete magical supremecy.

xragg
23-03-2008, 00:26
This quote makes me a little SAD...

jezzail aren't a bad idea though, which special would you all reccommend to replace with them? The rat ogres?

Is the skaven assassin worth it? I've always envisioned an assasin with warpstone stars being skitterleaped by the seer right next to the enemy mages and giving me complete magical supremecy.

The skitterleaped assassin + warpstars can work great. I did it with an assassin lord once (clan eshin) with warpstars/cloak of shadows and killed 2 mages and an empire special character standard bearer. I still consider it a special trick to make my opponents worry. I only plan to do it every so often just so they worry about it all the time.

Rat Ogres are overpriced for how easily they die and give such poor results. I use my rat ogres to bolter my slave numbers, calling them slave bosses, and using no more then a 1:10 ratio. They do nothing different other then each ogre base represents 4 slave bases. If not for this, my ogre models would have so much dust on them from lack of use.

Tunneling teams are a decent special choice versus certain armies and would do good against the elf bolt throwers.

Jezzails definately grab an opponents attention and even more if they use multiwound beasts like dragons.

Shamfrit
23-03-2008, 00:35
Brass Orb on the Assassin, can backfire alot more, but it can also take incredibly large chunks out of...

Well, anything.

W0lf
23-03-2008, 00:44
I dont play skaven. Just face them reguarly.

Jezzails are invaluable and 2d6 S5 destroys armies. Thats pretty much all i (need) to know.

Oh and warp lightning cannon(or 's') are pretty mandatory :P

Lord Obsidianus
23-03-2008, 01:06
Right on.

I love the idea of using the ogres as slave bases.

One idea I ahd for slave units was to use other races models as slaves, specifically the kind of things that skaven may be able to bully such as skinks, goblins, gnoblars and the occasional man at arms.

I don't have a large budget so I'm thinking if I get a box of each I should be able to convert them into slaves.

Lord Obsidianus
23-03-2008, 01:55
If I was to do units of slaves, what is an ideal size for those?

are 20 slaves sufficient or do you need 30?

Fall from grace
23-05-2009, 22:05
When using slaves 20 is a big enough unit as the slaves are only going to hold up most things til something nastier hits then, I'm thinking PCB's, Warpfire Throwers and Warp Lightning here.

Don't want to go giving more points than necessary now, do we.

havoc626
24-05-2009, 03:30
I find units of 30 are good, as it gives you a few more numbers for the enemy to get through (assuming that the slaves don't run, that is, which is more than likely) More numbers in slaves are good because it gives more wounds before the squad starts losing Ld because of loss in ranks and also there is less of a chance for the unit to panic.

20 can also work, and it is effective as I know some players perfer having them like that. To each his own and all that jazz.

Fall from grace
25-05-2009, 00:35
I just hate giving away the extra 20pts when I gas/burn/electrocute them (delete as appropriate). Ratling Guns are also nasty when fired into enemy units fighting slaves.

I don't worry too much though as slaves are meant to die and in their noble sacrifice however involuntary, they serve to further my plans of Skaven domination.

fubukii
25-05-2009, 18:08
21-25 slaves no more or less.

you want at least 21 because 1 points for needing to take 1 extra wound to panic is totally worth it.