PDA

View Full Version : 1800pt dwarf army

havoc626
23-03-2008, 01:54
I have a team battle against some Brettonian players, with my ally being Wood Elves. I have about 1800pts to spend on the Dwarfs. It is a 3000pt battle, but the Wood Elf player has a max of 1200pts, so I have a little more to spend than him, and he is only taking 1 Lord, no heros.

So far, I've made two army list, both about the same points. Any opinion on which would do better, or recommended changes, will help.

Army List 1

Characters

Thorek Ironbrow - 505pts

Thane 1 - Oathstone ,Battle Standard, Strollaz's rune, Stoicism and Sanctuary - 205pts

Thane 2 - Shield, Rune of Brotherhood, Rune of Alric the Mad and Rune of Fire - 132pts

Core

Dwarf Warriors x 24 with shields and full command - 241pts - Joined by Thane 1

Quarrellers x 10 - 110pts

Quarrellers x 10 - 110pts

Special

Miners x16 with full command, steam drill and blasting charges - 256pts - Joined by Thane 2

Rare

Organ Gun - 120pts

Organ Gun - 120pts

Total - 1799pts

Army List 2

Characters

Dwarf Lord - Shield, Shieldbearers, Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer and Rune of Fury x2 - 298pts

Thane 1 - Shield, Oathstone, Master Rune of Alaric the Mad and Rune of Cleaving - 162pts

Thane 2 - Battle Standard, Master Rune of Valaya, Strollaz's Rune and Rune of Slowness - 295 pts

Runesmith - Shield, Rune of Balance and Rune of Resistance - 147pts

Core

Thunderers with shields x 10 - 150pts

Special

Ironbreakers x 14 with Full Command and joined by Dwarf Lord and both Thanes - 262pts

Rare

Organ Gun - 120pts

Organ Gun - 120pts

Total - 1804pts

Dead Man Walking
23-03-2008, 16:02
I would not take a special character in an 1800 point list. I also would never bring miners to a brittonian fight. Brits will be halfway across the table in turn 1, on turn 2 when the miners -might- appear the brits will be slamming into your front line. You cant start them in your deployment zone because they suck when charged, espeacially by lancing calvary.

You should sit down with your ally and determine a strategy. The wood elf player excels where dwarfs dont and vice versa. If I were you I would have the elf player going offensive on the flanks (Dryads) and march blocking the brits (The scout rare elves, great eagles, warhawk riders) and magicing trees into the path of brittonians.

On your end you should be fielding artillery and units designed to survive hardcore charges, and that means hammerers with immune to fear and terror and taking ldrship on 1d6. Slayers, Dwarf lord on shieldbearers with GW and lots of defensive runes. You will want the master rune of challenge but make sure to ask if your target is immune to psyche before you challenge them. The master rune of challenge is for the pegasus knights, they are there to chew up your artillery so you want to stop that from happening. A BSB is essential to reroll break tests. 1 Runesmith should be all you need.

Place a cheap bolt thrower with rune of immolation in front of your army, designed to do a couple wounds and roll stubborn if any survive the charge, if not they go nuclear and cause lots of wounds to the charging unit. (Think land mine.)

You should be the rock, let the elf player be the fast moving annoyance. If they field archers they are wasted on brits (lucky if they cause a wound all game.) but dryads with thier wardsaves and lots of attacks should help. I assume they dont have many choices in what to field though.

Dead Man Walking
23-03-2008, 16:03
Take your quarrelers and put them in your lawn if you lack lawn gnomes. Bring riflers to a lance fight. :skull:

havoc626
23-03-2008, 23:13
Thanks for the advice, I've taken as much of what you said into account as I can, and I'll talk to the WE player on what he should take and our tactics before the day of the battle.

Syrus101
24-03-2008, 05:33
Little prob...

I'm the Wood Elf player and unfortunatly I have bugger all for Wood Elf units... :'(
I have a Battalion, a spellsinger, and a Highborn...

but thats it...

so I don't have any Great Eagles and the like :(

Dead Man Walking
24-03-2008, 22:43
That's why I mentioned that I doubted that the woodelf player (you) had a choice in what to field, its usual when someone has only 1k or so in an army.

The problem here is that your facing the one army that you really dont want to face with arrows, one with high armor and fast moving/hard hitting enemies.

My suggestion is to see if you can proxy models. You get dryads and thats great. You get lots of archers, if you can proxy 10 as dryads and some as waywatchers. If you have 20 bucks you should slap down a great eagle. The battailion also comes with wild runners, the problem with these guys is that they as forest spirits can't run from a charge. If you can proxy these guys as Glade riders you will be well off. Glade riders can get into charge range and then flee from a charge and then rally and move right back into charge range to keep reducing brit charges.

For example you move into a brit charge range of 16 inches, lets say you are 10 inches away, they charge. You flee (at least 7 inches on 3d6 or they destroy you and go full 16!) and rally then move again into charge range to flee again. This forces the brit player to either move 9 inches or fail charge for an 8 inch move. The more turns the brittonians spend out of combat the less chance they have of winning.

But if you can not proxy your not horribly off. Go for the flanks tactic, with scout archers popping up behind your enemy and reducing marches. WIld riders should rush the flanks drawing off the enemy. I would even put the archers out there to get charged but make sure they are facing a direction to send the brittonians as far away from the dwarves and thier artillery as possible. Basically your 1200 points are sacrificed to keep the dwarves alive, selling thier lives for the over all win. Move in ways to irratate the brittonians. Also you want wild riders to charge brits, not the other way around. Brits suck unless they are charging. They have lots of armor but wild riders hit a lot and pretty well. Your fighty hero/lord should get a strikes first weapon if you can manage it.

Syrus101
25-03-2008, 00:08
Actually the battalion give you 5 Glade riders, 16 Dryads, 24 Glade Guard, and I bought a Highborn and a spellsinger...

I see you're point, if they allow it I could have some Tree kin if you think that'll help... or proxy the Glade Riders as something else, or proxy the Scouts as Waywatchers...

unfortunately my opt are rather limited but I know we will figure something out,

oh my hero/lord could be a shooty/CC type

CC would have Daith's Reaper (re roll any failed hits and re roll any successful Sv)
with Amber pendant (always strikes first in combat) I might be able to combine it with a Great Sword
or
a shooty type with Bow of Loren (can shoot as many time as A in profile) and Arcane Bodkins (no Sv shots) so either I think would be a great help against the Bret's...

and I cant really buy anything...
1st not enough money at the moment
2nd 30min drive to get to GW...

if you could add any more suggestions would be great :D

Syrus101
25-03-2008, 00:40
are you sure that Forest Spirits can't run from charge? nothing in the whole WE book says that...

Sarael
25-03-2008, 04:34
Shooty Lord vs Brets. Multiple shots + no save = dead small unit of knights, or at least removed rank bonus from unit about to charge. Remember, the lance has to have 6 models to get 5 to attack (he can't take a casualty from the middle) so even a single casualty to shooting is effective. Also, if the Brets bring any peasants, have the elves focus on them while the dwarves open up on the knights. I ditto the suggestion on the kabooming bolt thrower: it could open up a HUGE hole in the knight's offensive.

Syrus101
25-03-2008, 06:00
thanks Sarael I'll take it to heart

anyway I'll give you guys a run down on my current list

Spellsinger: 130pts Wt Divination Orb (ad one free dispel dice to attempt), Calaingor's Stave (when using tree singing forest moves D3+2 and can cast it mone then once per magic phase)
5 Glade Riders: 120pts
10 Glade Guard: 120pts
10 Glade Guard: 120pts
5 Scouts: 85pts
8 Dryads: 96pts
8 Dryads: 96pts

767pts +Highborn (so about 1000pts)

well that's all I got.... (a bit of a bugger actually...)

havoc626
25-03-2008, 06:00
Rune of Immolation is a definate. It is well worth the points. I just never thought of using it that way.

Syrus101
25-03-2008, 06:08
If I give my CC highborn the Alter Kindred I get +1 A and M + I get boosted to 9
so he can move...

I thought a CC character for my part so I could do more damage on the flanking or supporting a defensive position...
If I take a close look at the magic items I might be able to combine both Highborns... (to a degree)

Dead Man Walking
25-03-2008, 11:08
Forest spirits are immune to psychology. I am pretty sure that means they can not run from a charge.

Syrus101
25-03-2008, 11:25
yeah you're right...

Syrus101
30-03-2008, 00:07
well today is D-day...

best fighting trousers on