PDA

View Full Version : VC generic tournament list 2000pts

Lordmonkey
23-03-2008, 02:51
Hey all,

This is a generic Vampire Counts list i'm working on. It's only had a single game so far (using the new book), but it's designed to be able to handle all comers.

Lord: Vampire Lord, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Master of the Black Arts, Dispel Scroll, Lord of the Dead - 340

Hero: Vampire, Infinite Hatred, Hand of Dust - 175

Hero: Wight King, Sword of Kings - 100

Hero: Necromancer, using Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Black Periapt, Book of Arkhan, Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone - 205

Core: 19 Skeleton Warriors, hand weapons, shields, light armour, Full Command, Banner of the Dead Legion - 197

Core: 19 Skeleton Warriors, hand weapons, shields, light armour, Full Command, War Banner - 197

Core: 21 Zombies, Standard, Musician - 96

Core: 20 Zombies, Standard, Musician - 92

Core: 5 Dire Wolves - 40

Core: 5 Dire Wolves - 40

Special: 3 Fell Bats - 60

Special: 19 Grave Guard, hand weapons, shields, heavy armour, Full Command, Banner of the Barrows - 283

Rare: Varghulf - 175

Total: 2000pts

The army utilises 3 main fighting blocks (gg and skellies) as an "anvil". The graveguard hold the centre, and flanked by the skeletons. Each unit is supported by a character, and will usually take on most enemy infantry in straight fights. The zombie units are deployed closely on the flank of each skelly unit, in order to flank the infantry engaged in the front with the skeletons, and this is aided by the necromancer with his two casts of vanhel's danse macabre (inc. the book) per turn, and whos corpse cart sits behind the main 3 combat blocks, lending further magic support. The lord acts as combat support for a skeleton unit, picking on basic troops, and stays away from any enemy characters. His main job is to heal-bot both skeleton units with IoN on a 3+. The dire wolves and fell bats are warmachine hunters, and are aided by the varghulf when necessary (who also allows the wolves to march).

The general plan is to advance as a line with the board edge on one flank, pouring power dice into the zombie tarpit on the other. By deploying the wolves and bats first, i can typically place my units so that they line up vs their intended targets. In this way, i can tarpit enemy threats using the zombies, and line up the graveguard and skeletons vs units containing expensive characters and heavily armoured infantry.

Vs combat-heavy armies, I wait for the enemy to come to me, and raise as many skeletons as i can. Then when they are close, I will either receive the charge with the skeletons, and follow up into the flanks the next turn, or counter charge using vanhel's danse macabre on zombies to flank them by suprise, and break out other tricks such as the 12" suicide vampire charge with the hand of dust on expensive cavalry (2d6 str 5 hits reduces most cavalry to a 4+ save, which can often wipe them out with lucky dice!),

What do you think?

DrakenhofGuard
23-03-2008, 03:07
I wonder if you could skimp out on unit sizes in an attempt to raise them up in the first couple turns, i know your not maxed out on magic or anything but i think it is possible to drop the sizes a bit and maybe raise the direwolves to 7 that way if they get shot a bit they can still be effective or max out on your vampire;) i like making my vampire the big heavy duty eggs in one basket guy but its up to you in the end

koningswulf
23-03-2008, 04:53
I am not to keen on Hand of Dust for 50pts its way to hard to get of but if it works is good admitlely. Also contrary to drakenhofguard i think its better to have full units from start so to be combat rd. That way you wont be surprised when hit by a fast army or hit hard by a gun line you can still heal them up then instead of losing the unit.
I would ditch the zombies tho they are crap and often make you lose combats instead of winning them. They are I think mainly there to be raised and act as decoys, speedbumps and machine hunters. far better get a solid block from skeletons or ghouls.
Myself I prefer the ghouls with 3ws 4T 2A and poison .
I suggest you get one unit of ghouls instead and get either the sword of might or battle for your Lord very good for 15pts and Also get the spectre of Noirot to get those d3+9 zombies rolling behind opponents back instead for your dispscroll.

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 00:28
Ok, update. I have streamlined the list a lot, and remember, it is designed for use as a general "take all comers" list, rather than a "this is how i win" list. please post and let me know what you think :)

Characters:

Lord: Vampire Lord, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Infinite Hatred, Dark Acoloyte, Lord of the Dead, Book of Arkhan

Hero: Vampire, Avatar of Death (2 Hand-Weapons, Heavy Armour)

Hero: Vampire, Avatar of Death (2 Hand-Weapons, Heavy Armour)

Hero: Wight King, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Kings, Battle Standard

Core Units:

19 Crypt Ghouls, Champion

16 Skeleton Warriors, Command

13 Skeleton Warriors, Command

5 Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart, Unholy Lodestone

Special Units:

3 Fell Bats

19 Grave Guard, Hand Weapons and Shield, Command

Rare Units:

5 Blood Knights, Standard, Champion, Flag of Blood Keep

Total: 2000 points

Power Dice: 7
Dispel Dice: 6

So the four infantry blocks hold the center of the battlefield. They are each led by a character, and during deployment I aim to "line-up" my wight king to meet an expensive enemy lord in hand to hand combat for some 5+ killing blow fun :D Any character can pretty much support any of the four units, except that my lord will always be in a skeleton unit. The idea is that the lord will spam 3+ IoN in the first few turns to reinforce the two skeleton regiments, while the two thralls deal with replenishing any losses incurred from shooting on the graveguard and ghouls. So, this is a solid core which, once built up in the magic phase, will be reasonably difficult to take down.
The corpse cart will deploy behind these units in a position where as many of each unit can benefit from its lodestone and bound spell as possible. It will only actually get into combat if things get desperate.
The Blood Knights will range out on one flank, supported by the wolves and the bats. I recently saw a clever trick in this thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134336) posted by W0lf, which i think will work rather well to control frenzy and make the most of this expensive cavalry unit. These killing machines will head straight for the biggest, meanest regiment the enemy has and tear a big, vampire-shaped hole in it. I like the idea that this flank will attract a lot of attention from shooting, which will leave my core to slowly build up strength as it advances. And if the core attracts the shooting, then the knights will likely roll up the whole battleline.

One thing i'm not entirely sure about is what is to be done about dragons. i think the raise dead spell will be best here, to create a tarpit, but then that is relying too heavily on magic I think.

Sarael
29-03-2008, 08:38
Hatred and Acolyte on the same character??? Sure, vampires can be VERY flexible in their abilities, but you're leaving yourself weak in one area by being stronger in another, which you don't need to begin with as you've got 2 melee vamp heroes anyway, along with a WK. I'd ditch IH for FL or MotBA, give him the helm of commandment, and make the lord a super support unit.

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 21:13
I'd ditch IH for FL or MotBA, give him the helm of commandment, and make the lord a super support unit.

Thanks for the comment :)

The Helm of Commandment is defintiely tempting, but it's likely the he will be in combat for most of the game, which makes this item redundant. While he is designed to support the core of the army with IoN spam, he isn't supposed to be a heavy caster - his real role is an all round leader that will hold the army together. I took Infinite hatred because it balances out his contribution to close combat - if he ends up fighting for his life due to some cheesy trick, he will need to kill things to stay alive. Infinite Hatred means that i'm a lot less likely to lose him due to bad dice rolls and as a bonus it helps me judge the outcome of a combat more reliably (also the reason why I chose it over the sword of battle - reliability over risk).

heinrichvoncarstein
29-03-2008, 21:53
I would make that wight king of your bsb and ditch maybe some more skeleton warriors seeing that you have lord of the dead. imo i would make the lord a ressilent caster with good combat values i.e:
Crown of the damned, flayed hauberk, sword of might or battle, bound spell
Master of the black arts, dark acolyte, lord of the dead.

Lordmonkey
30-03-2008, 06:36
I would make that wight king of your bsb and ditch maybe some more skeleton warriors seeing that you have lord of the dead.

I might do this, considering I have the model - edited :D

Crown of the damned, flayed hauberk, sword of might or battle, bound spell
Master of the black arts, dark acolyte, lord of the dead.

It's a powerful caster build, but I didn't want him to be too magic heavy. Taking both MotBA and Dark Acoloyte is a bit overkill on the magic phase. Having played around with both, I can say I prefer 1 power dice and 1 dispel dice over 2 x power dice.

Also, Crown of the Damned scares the hell out of me. It's just bound to go wrong at exactly the wrong moment :rolleyes: