PDA

View Full Version : 500 VCs

==Me==
23-03-2008, 04:01
Howdy folks, another Fantasy impulse buyer here:cries:

I picked up the new Vampire book to be prepared, but I may end up picking up an army of them.

Here's a little army that I came up with. Best part is, it all comes from just the Battalion.

Necromancer-Raise Dead, Invocation of Nehek, Book of Arkhan, mounted on Corpse Cart
Skeleton Warriors-20, full command, Banner of Hellish Vigor
Corpse Cart-unholy balefire
Crypt Ghouls-10, Ghast

That's 498 points. The necro sits on the cart summoning zombies and healing the skellies, using the book to keep things moving. The skellies provide the main block and can still march with their standard. The ghouls flank and tear apart anything they see. Zombies pop up to cause mayhem as usual. 3 PD and 2 bound spells means trouble for anyone at such low point levels and all them fear causers moving at a pretty good clip will catch some off guard.

What do you think? Is the list hamstrung with no Vampire? Is it a good start for a bigger army?

Thanks in advance.

koningswulf
23-03-2008, 04:37
looks solid enough for a 500pt army.
The main problem with it is the lack of protection on your necro.
A flying unit or flying hero might rather easy nail him on a long lance :mad:
other than that dilemma i think it looks good.

Saben
23-03-2008, 07:10
The Corpse Cart is pretty good protection for the Necro isn't it? I assume he's riding it...

Sarael
23-03-2008, 08:01
A cart is not good protection for a necro. I'd rather have mine in a unit.

Your strongest attack is from an S3 poisoned ghoul. Remember that.

At this level, I'd rather have the hand of dust, even though I consider the book a mandatory piece in my armies. Then again, we consider 500 to be ideal for skirmish games.

==Me==
23-03-2008, 14:26
Hand of Dust does look pretty nasty, I could drop the ghast and skelly champions to pick it up. Would the army be in trouble without Vanhel's? I couldn't see giving up either raise dead or invocation of nehek for it, which is why I picked the book in the first place.

Alternatively, I can ditch the cart for a tricked out Vamp (tomb blade, eternal hatred, 2+ save, etc) to hang with the skellies. Trying to make this list as cheap as possible, but still effective.

Thoughts?

Avaron
23-03-2008, 18:29
if you plan on marching at all I would grab the vamp instead of the necro. the vamp is still a level 1 wizard with invocation and one other spell so you dont give up much casting power.

and that could create a nice unit of zombies to support your army.

Lord_Crull
23-03-2008, 18:37
I'm soory but the new rulles state that the army general must be a vampire witht he highest leadership.

==Me==
24-03-2008, 04:04
D'oh, I saw that as I was browsing through ==My== book.

With that in mind, I came up with something a little different. Forgive any errors in power/magic items names.

Which of these two looks better?
Vamp-Master of the Dark Arts (+2PD), Flayed Hauberk, Sceptre de Noirot
20 Skellies, standard, musician, Banner of the Dead Legion (or War Banner)
Corpse Cart-unholy lodestone

Vamp-Unholy Acolyte (+1 magic level), Lord of the Dead (skellies), Flayed Hauberk, Sceptre de Noirot
15 skellies, Magic Banner
10 Ghouls
Corpse Cart-unholy lodestone

Count Romero ( ;) ) will just raise ridiculous numbers of zombies and overwhelm the enemy in rotting flesh. The Hauberk is to keep him alive and putting his S5 to use, if necessary. Corpse Cart makes it even worse :D

Is this too much for a small game. I could probably make something a little more reasonable, but the insane amount of zombies is quite amusing.

Saben
24-03-2008, 04:27
Dark Acolyte (+1 magic level), Lord of the Dead, Flayed Hauberk, Sceptre de Noirot

I like this Vampire payload a LOT more. Casting on skellies with a 3+ instead of 4+ makes a HUGE difference. It'll be worth more than an extra PD in the long run (you average 2.66 successful casts compared to 2.5 successful casts). Also you get an extra spell compared to Master of the Dark Arts. I'd consider dropping the ghouls in favour of a second skeleton squad, though.

I guess it depends on if you want more of a skeleton horde or a zombie horde, though. MotDA is better for focusing on zombies obviously (2x Raise Dead {4 dice}, 1x Invocation {1 dice}/ turn probably) but you can get quite a decent size army with more of a skeletal focus while still raising a lot of zombies (2x Invocation on skeletons {2 dice}, 1x Raise Dead {2 dice}).

==Me==
25-03-2008, 03:59
I'm going to go for that setup I think, for the versatility (zombies or skellies, and 2 spells+IoN) and the added ghouls.

Now, if I were to expand this to 1k points, I was thinking something like this:
List as is stands (maybe swapping Sceptre for Tomb Blade)
+Vampire-flying horror, avatar of death, wristbands of black gold (love the model and he makes for a nasty chariot killer and flanker)
+Wight King-BSB, War Banner (cheap +2 combat res, 3 KB attacks, T5, and the nifty BSB abilities)
+Grave Guard-14, Banner of the Dead Legion (giving the Skellies the Banner of the Endless Nightmare)

Lots of expensive things, but it adds some needed killing power and still stays pretty cheap with the luverly plastic GG. Add in 5 PD+unholy lodestone for zombie/skeleton induced mayhem and it looks like fun. If it's that bad I can swap the 2nd Vamp for a Necro and something cheap (more ghouls, spirit host, etc) or Black Knights.

On a related note, is it advisable to buy skellies/GG without commands in the hopes of using IoN to pick up them up for free? Seems like a good way to save points, if risky.

Thanks for the help so far :)