PDA

View Full Version : Starting new army

Cadian Desert Guard
23-03-2008, 06:49
Just wondering if you could help me decide which army to go with for Warhammer... My local gaming store is starting a builder campaign and I've been looking to get back into it for a long time. anyway I've narrowed it down to 3, but suggestions are always welcome...
I am looking for an army that is not cheesy, or very common (such as VC players atm are overwhelming the store), I also like armies that are good all around, no gunlines, or hordes of gobbos, etc. and the final thing I look for in an army is supply of plastic models. Fluff is nice too. If this list rings any instant bells please post them.

Thanks for the input

Sarael
23-03-2008, 07:55
The best thing about O&G is everything. They have some of the best fluff, there's no reason they can't fight anybody (they fight EVERYBODY, even themselves), and they can produce almost any tactic in the game: all cavalry army with core wolf riders and hard hitting orcs on warboars, elite infantry black orcs & big uns, goblin hordes, artillery bowlines, big monsters, or a fully well rounded approach with several different unit types. The drawback of this flexibility is Animosity, but if you plan properly then the worst you'll feel from it is a lost turn from a single unit. Or, you could always include Azhag...

koningswulf
23-03-2008, 08:33
As for getting a good starter army thats mainly a thing about your playstyle and flexibility to learn several phases rather than a few armies being easier.
A army commited only to melee like a chaos Khorne or a gunline army of dwarfs or a all out magic army from High Elf might be fun at start but in the end most players like to be able to have a balanced army that can do well in every aspect of the game.

If I would suggest a army I would suggest Wood Elfs.
They have great mobility something thats vital in this game
along with good leadership also vital.
Hard melee troops like treemen, tree-kin, wardancer, dryads to mention a few. They have superior shooting potential.
Great magic potential. Nice skrimish and flyer units and
a lot of different combinations of army.
The army also doesnt have any war machines.
Its a straight melee, shoot and use spell army.
The army book is very well done and I am sure you would do well with them as soon you have gotten the first grips of the army.
Good luck

Aurellis
23-03-2008, 11:33
I think Lizardmen or Vampire Counts could be a great idea. Both have a plentiful supply of plastics and are very competitive.
Also, they're not the most used armies out there so you won't have to feel feel like the millionth high elf player at the club ;)

Conotor
23-03-2008, 11:53
Id say take skull pass, and then add on some orcs.

W0lf
23-03-2008, 11:57
its all about the orcs.

so much choice and 6 Pts for an orc with a shield is an insanely good deal.

Cadian Desert Guard
23-03-2008, 17:43
I noticed that orcs were very cheap... but is that a good thing, I mean if you already have 60 goblins can orcs hold their own agains other infantry? such as marauders or Empire Halberdiers?
as for the wood elves, thats a good idea, I'll look into them as well.

Lizardmen and VC, my friends collect both of those armies, and they are the majority of who I play against so I think that would get kinda dull, I must say tho I have looked at the Lizardmen before and have been intrigued.

thank you everybody for posting.

Sarael
23-03-2008, 20:40
Orc Big Uns can hold their own against pretty much anything, point for point. Sure, things like chosen chaos warriors of khorne will destroy them, but chosen of khorne destroys EVERYTHING, so it's not any different. Ditto for black orcs (basically big uns who ignore animosity).

You still haven't said what type of army you want. Elite infantry? Cavalry (heavy or light)? Magic? Basically all you've said is you don't want a gunline or a horde list.

If Chaos Knights remain a Core slot when the Mortals book is released, they will be a very powerful list still (I expect their points cost to go down). I've played all cav armies before and they are always fun & strong, without the cheese of auto hits and things like that. My old VC list actually had 3 groups of 20 wolves as my core choices (how I miss those days).

neo_ebrick
24-03-2008, 18:12
sorry everyone but you all know that high elves and the new rules are the best.
first! you dont have to spend a lot of money on core, yes spear elves and ASF with 3 ranks do very well against most all core units,
second! a unit of 5 DP with a war banner and a noble as BSB is one of the harder hitting Cav units in the game now
Thrid! the new elite inf. WL PG and SM are all good at diffrent parts. there now a army of versility
He are going to be very hard to beat against seasoned players, start with them and youll fall in love!

Cadian Desert Guard
25-03-2008, 00:33
Sorry about that I need to be more clear... I want an army to be able to crush enemies in close combat. I like some range, and I wont go with chaos, there are already 4 people doin chaos so I cant go with them... anyway any suggestions would be welcome.