PDA

View Full Version : What is something you want to happen?

Varath- Lord Impaler
24-03-2008, 00:09
In the background?

I know that 40k has a VERY good background, and i dont want any huge change to destabilise it. But there are a few things i do want.

I want a Tyranid fleet to infiltrate its way into the solar system. I want to see the most arcane and powerful weapons of the Imperium brought to bear and used to destroy this.

Heartened by this victory, the High Lords of Terra declare a large scale guardsman recruitment from ALL of its worlds, to fuel a number of new crusades to capture and recapture Imperial worlds in all directions.

I dunno, i want to see the Imperium flex its muscles again.

What is it that you want to see happen in the background?

weissengel86
24-03-2008, 00:25
personally i want to see the thorians successfully reincarnate the emperor and i want to see a new great crusade proclaimed by the reincarnated emperor.

I want to see a HUGE hive fleet attack but only after a huge necron fleet intercepts it resulting in an apocalyptic battle that annihialates the majority of the necrons and tyranids with the tau stuck in the middle

I want to see the imperium with the help of the reincarnated emperor launch an assault IN the eye of terror and destroying 2 or 3 chaos legions entirely with the emperor defeating abaddon and annihilating his soul

I want to see the eldar defeating the dark eldar in many key battles

Firaxin
24-03-2008, 00:40
I want some faction, don't really care which, to fight its way to Terra. I want them to get into the throne room itself, where the Emperor sits. I want them to point their guns at him.

Then I want him to stand up.

I want to see the unfettered awesomeness that is the Emperor. I want him to nigh single-handedly wipe the invading force from the face of the planet.
I dunno. Just a little something that I can point to when some generic opponent boasts that his/her greater daemon / hive tyrant / warboss /god / etc could easily defeat the emperor he needs is to get a single cultist in with the Emperor to end the Imperium. And I'm tired of people saying the Tau are the largest threat to the Imperium.

I wouldn't want it to replace the current setting, but maybe just a glimpse of a future setting where basically everything has been reversed. I want those arrogant blue-skinned bass-turds to have their empire be eliminated and be forced to seek shelter under the umbrella of the imperium. I want there to only be one craftworld left, to really accentuate the 'dying' aspect of the Eldar (and, like the Tau, I want it in Imperial space), I want the Imperium to be pushed back to just the Solar Segmentum, where they'll restructure their military so that they're actually elite and modern. I want the nids to take over the east/south of the galaxy, and I want chaos to take the north of the galaxy (Segmentum Pacificus can stay, I suppose). Something that just throws everything on its head I guess, I'm just really tired of the deadlock everywhere such that nothing ever happens. Pretty much any upheaval would make me happy, so long as something like Terra dying and the last human survivors leave in a convoy guarded by the last battlestar looking for long lost relatives doesn't happen.

Vult
24-03-2008, 02:37
Move the story forward! PLEASE....40K is a stagnant universe! Something needs to happen. They need to start moving on with the story. I have heard people say that you "can't" advance the story...and that is totally ignorant. It is a science fiction game...you can do anything your imagination can think up.

My personal feelings...

Let the emperor's corpse die, so that he can be reborn. The High Lords of Terra know what will happen if his body dies. If the Emperor is reborn he will again rule and they will not be the ones with the power. They keep this from happening because they fear his wrath when he finds out what they have been doing. The untold millions of psychers that are "sacrificed" to him every day is a farce and the truth is that the High Lords are using the power they get from these psychers to keep the Emperor's spirit sedated to the point that he can not work against them.

This would be one hell of a huge step forward. But that is just one option. Just about anything that caused Warhammer 40K to become Warhammer 41K would be a welcome improvement.

Kissaholic
24-03-2008, 02:40
I think it would be cool if Horus killed the "false" emporer

Varath- Lord Impaler
24-03-2008, 02:46
Hmmmm, lots of people who want the Emperor reborn.

Might i ask why? It means the Imperium will become stronger than any other force in the Galaxy, like it was before the Heresy.

I think small things are needed, nothign that makes the galaxy really different, but something that shows something we havent seen before.

WallyTWest
24-03-2008, 03:43
I would like to see the Imperium suffer the side effects of the previous campaigns (A3,EOT,M5) with the dawn of the new millennium. A fracturing of its power, the universe becoming a more diverse place with significant Xenos and Renegade empires rising from the ashes.

Vaktathi
24-03-2008, 04:23
Personally, what I'd like to see most is an Imperial Guard victory over something. Not just barely holding off the myriad horrors of the universe and being slaughtered in vast numbers and holding only through tremendous sacrifices of blood, or being forced into retreat or stalemate by their various opponents, but an actual, overwhelming Imperial Guard victory over something, and preferably something other than Orks. Something to give Guard players a victory to rally around, showing the Imperial Guard defeating it's foes in open battle through cratering the battlefield and burying their enemies with shell, bullet, bomb and las-beam, leaving the enemy shell-shocked and scattered, fleeing for their lives before an armored tide of death and battle cannons and the unstoppable march millions of boots from an untold number of grim faced Guardsmen driving their foes from the field of battle. Just about every other race has something like this, save for the Guard (at least against notable opponents). The Guard just too often serves as the whipping boy whenever a faction needs to look hardcore and powerful for a short story in WD or a codex.

Also, I'd like to see the Necrons play a greater part rather than just some vague awakening force. It'd also be nice for the current races to expand a bit to have more reasons to come into contact with each other. As is, having Tau encounter the Chaos legions probably isn't going to occur often, lets make a great background reason for something like this. I'd also like to see the Dark Eldar take a greater role than simply "lolkinkybondagepirates".

Varath- Lord Impaler
24-03-2008, 04:53
Personally, what I'd like to see most is an Imperial Guard victory over something. Not just barely holding off the myriad horrors of the universe and being slaughtered in vast numbers and holding only through tremendous sacrifices of blood, or being forced into retreat or stalemate by their various opponents, but an actual, overwhelming Imperial Guard victory over something, and preferably something other than Orks. Something to give Guard players a victory to rally around, showing the Imperial Guard defeating it's foes in open battle through cratering the battlefield and burying their enemies with shell, bullet, bomb and las-beam, leaving the enemy shell-shocked and scattered, fleeing for their lives before an armored tide of death and battle cannons and the unstoppable march millions of boots from an untold number of grim faced Guardsmen driving their foes from the field of battle. Just about every other race has something like this, save for the Guard (at least against notable opponents). The Guard just too often serves as the whipping boy whenever a faction needs to look hardcore and powerful for a short story in WD or a codex.

Read Gaunts Ghosts :D

But apart from that, what i think is most criminal is the Imperial Guard codex. It has 5 Artworks spread through the book, all from the battle of Tyrok fields. Its one of the only Imperial Guard victories which is spoken of in the WHOLE DAMNED BOOK.

I would love to see the Imperial guard defeating an opponent through sheer tactical expertise and the intelligence of its officers and sergeants.

Also, I'd like to see the Necrons play a greater part rather than just some vague awakening force. It'd also be nice for the current races to expand a bit to have more reasons to come into contact with each other. As is, having Tau encounter the Chaos legions probably isn't going to occur often, lets make a great background reason for something like this. I'd also like to see the Dark Eldar take a greater role than simply "lolkinkybondagepirates".

I think the first thing weve seen of Necron advanced technology rising is the Forgeworld Necron cannon thingo (name escapes me for the moment) it really highlights the power the necrons have.

Also, Dark Eldar really should be more of a threat. I think they should raid and pillage worlds until they collapse entirely, then come in and set up new cities connected to the Webway, perhaps even stealing them entirely and placing them inside the webway in their whole state. That would be sweet.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-03-2008, 06:33
And I'm tired of people saying the Tau are the largest threat to the Imperium.

I like the idea of the Emperor curbstomping someone, but what people are spouting this silly nonsense here?

Move the story forward! PLEASE....40K is a stagnant universe!

I don't think it should be done, and the universe is far from stagnant... unless you're telling me ten thousand years (and that's just for the Imperium) isn't enough rich background? :eyebrows:

The universe as it stands is on the brink of great happenings. To have those happenings occur would ruin the atmosphere.

It means the Imperium will become stronger than any other force in the Galaxy, like it was before the Heresy.

Well, truth be told, the Imperium really is still the biggest kid on the playground, but yeah, the Crusade was an even better era.

A fracturing of its power, the universe becoming a more diverse place with significant Xenos and Renegade empires rising from the ashes.

Because this isn't already present? The Imperium only covers the rhetorical 'million worlds' in the galaxy (though IMHO it would really be more). There are billions of planets in the galaxy. The Maelstrom, the fringes, the vast tracts of space lost since the Heresy, and the ground lost daily to a thousand gnawing threats are crawling with everything you mention.

And if the Imperium's power isn't fractured enough already...

Varath- Lord Impaler
24-03-2008, 06:49
Because this isn't already present? The Imperium only covers the rhetorical 'million worlds' in the galaxy (though IMHO it would really be more). There are billions of planets in the galaxy. The Maelstrom, the fringes, the vast tracts of space lost since the Heresy, and the ground lost daily to a thousand gnawing threats are crawling with everything you mention.

This is why i want a few more crusades to appear. It could be more reasons for background battlefields while Imperial players can finally say "Look, the Imperium isnt only losing worlds, it gains them too!"

Simon Sez
24-03-2008, 09:32
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated map showing smaller scale problems the Imperium faces, even if its just a ring of 3 stars with "Xenos incursions" on them, just to let the player know there's more than just Chaos, Orcs, Nids and Tau in the big bad galaxy. Not to mention it would give people more exuses to push for a Codex: Minor Races.

Lord Damocles
24-03-2008, 09:58
Realisticly vast changes can't occur (emperor being reborn / Void Dragon awakening / Nids' reaching the Sol System etc.) without the whole 'feel' of the setting changing.

With this in mind, what I want to see is the timeline moving forward by 1 year:eek:. Yes, just one year; and each 'real world year' moves the 40K date forward 1 more year.

This way no fundamental changes are needed, but worlds can be recaptured or fall, crusades can be launched, the stories behind player's characters can advance etc. without everything happening in 999.M41. It's getting hard to find reasons for my Blood Angels to have taken part in Armageddon III, the 13th Black Crusade, and Medusa V without spending most of their time in the warp going from place to place.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-03-2008, 10:07
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated map showing smaller scale problems the Imperium faces, even if its just a ring of 3 stars with "Xenos incursions" on them, just to let the player know there's more than just Chaos, Orcs, Nids and Tau in the big bad galaxy.

Yeah, though they should know this already. There's stuff in the aliens section of the background part of the rulebook about other, less influential alien species.

Not to mention it would give people more exuses to push for a Codex: Minor Races.

Probably what GW, unfortunately, doesn't want. Oh, for Chapter Approved... :cries:

Killgore
24-03-2008, 12:52
I want war on Mars, a conflict that will effect every world in the imperium

or another age of apostacy (spl?) where loyaltys are torn across the imperium

Lexington
24-03-2008, 13:01
I want everything to stay just the way it is.

(well, okay, I want Eldrad to wake up, Dallas-style, from the terrible dream that was the 13th Black Crusade, but I don't see that as particularly likely)

Drachenfell
24-03-2008, 13:42
I'd like to see the Tyranid's completely overwhelm half of the galaxy, perhaps the 14th Black Crusade breaking Cadia and moving forward. The Imperium on the verge of utter collapse. Then the Void Dragon wakes up, obliterates most of Mars and begins a war with the tech priests.

Then when all seems completely lost, the Emperor waking up. That'd be bad ass. But that's probably the ultimate like end game I'd like to see. It'd be good to see if GW does anything in terms of moving the game forward.

malika
24-03-2008, 13:50
Not to mention it would give people more exuses to push for a Codex: Minor Races.
We already got a Codex Tau and they are pretty much a minor race. I would love to see more of that stuff. Perhaps go down the Necron route (without them being led by Gods who are responsible for every bit in the galaxy) in which GW introduces a few models, fluff and rules, not enough to be their own fully blown army but cool for small scenario's (Kill Team) or as allies. Depending on how popular they are GW could expand them into a full blown Codex or leave them as such.

Personally I don't want to see these big changes everybody here is on about, don't advance the timeline, no Tyranids wiping out the galaxy or the Emperor finally waking up. I would love to see GW/BL/fans (lets face it, we can do our thing too) explore the past some more. We don't know that much about the Age of Apostasy for example, it would be super cool to see that civil war explored (please don't turn it into the over-simplified conflict of Chaos-Imperium) or more on the War in Heaven, to name two big conflicts. What about looking into wars in which the Imperium isn't involved at such as conflicts between the Orks and the Tau/Kroot, or perhaps Eldar of the Biel Tan Craftworld whiping out Ork infested worlds so they can build their own colonies?

Neknoh
24-03-2008, 14:00
With the release of Apocalypse, I want apocalypse, simple as that.

Heck... I might even write a story about itof my own... aye... almost as if though I have to.

What I want to happen would be this:

Leviathan advances, consums a lot of worlds and heads staight for Sol and Terra, cutting a bloody swathe across the imperium. This causes the High Lords of Terra to call upon every availeable man, be he boy or elder, ship and gun within the entirety of the imperium. I want an enormous space battle that would allow for a reintroduction of Battlefleet Gothic with new releases and such to support it.

The two fleets would line up just outside or arround Pluto, and an apocalyptic battle would indeed take place. The Imperium would bring everything to bear. And during this space battle, the Imperial fleet would be pushed back slowly. I do not know how many legions of guardsmen would be there, but they would be vast, and they would all be stationed on the planets of the Sol stystem where they would make a noble stand, oblitterating wave upon wave of Nids, however, as the fleets are pushed further toward Terra, several of the Guard legions are left on the planets to fend for themselves, defending against endless hordes of Nids whilst the passing hiveships bombard the surfaces.

The battle then comes to Mars, where the mighties of the imperial titans are awakened and the titan legions of the Adeptus mechanicus enter full on war on the surface.

Let us not forget that these battles are not battles for territory or anything, each and every human and abhuman are fighting for the Emperor, they would all be fighting to a man.

We then throw in some form of Deus Ex Machina device, however, not something silly allong "Hiho, I brought my fleet allong, hope we aren't late", that would come earlier and only buy a minute or two of respite. No, I am talking about something like the Emperor having this epic battle of wills with the hivemind and finally winning, but we cannot call it a decisive win, instead, The Emperor merely manages to break the link between Leviathan and the Hivemind.
This effort from the Emperor however causes rifts to open on the ground of Terra where we finally get to see the bodyguards of the Emperor (their name elludes me atm) do what they do best in beating off the Daemons and sending them packing. The three ordos of the Inquisition would also get involved in this as well.

The Imperial Navy, the Astartes and the Imperial Guard now beat off the invading bugs, massive losses have been taken, but the zeal of the emperor now burns stronger than ever.

During this HUUUUUUGE battle, Chaos has made a move and started taking over world, beating off small tendrils of Leviathan or splinterfleets from planets, saving them and causing those planets to join them etc. On the other side of the galaxy, the Tau has done something similar, seizing the opportunity to expand their empire through negotiations, threats and all out battles as well as saving some worlds from imminent bug infestation.
The orks have just been multiplying like mad since they've gone unkulled during this time and they are happily picking fights where they can find them, nothing big though, a few infestations here and there.
The Eldar have desperately fought to defend themselves and taken heavy losses, however, they are also given some mighty fine and shining victories.
We will also see how a few PDF forces of the Imperium that were left at key planets have managed to stomp out a few threats, nothing big, but some good and clean victories would be nice.

Now, with all this developing in the universe, and with the entire might of the Imperium gathered in one place, despite being weakened, new crusades are started to reclaim the worlds which were lost and beat back the foul Xeno scum once and for all.

Next campaign is therefore the massive reclamation campaign of the Imperium where GW would actually let the Imperial players affect the storyline and shape the new empire.

This also leaves the door open for a few new things:

1. All out open war between the weakened Imperium and the now stronger Tau Empire

2. Genestealer and Chaos Cults in a lot of places, very nice material for Inquisitor or Necromunda-esque games as well as good material for new BL books and fleshing out the Inq. Ordos, especially the Ordo Xenos.

3. Full on orc Waaagh, since noone will really consider the Orc threat due to the Tau and Chaos legions.

4. Awakening of another C'Tan and new Necron Forces through this Orc Waaagh wouldn't be wrong.

Basically, a removal of the stalemate and pushing the Imperium even MORE toward the extreme religious etc. part whilst upping the desperation and darkness of the universe as well, I mean, there will be LOADS of opportunities for people to make armies themed on retrieving their homeworld, crusading for the Imperium, being the last from their world etc. etc.

jibbajabbawocky
24-03-2008, 14:57
I'd like to see the Dark Eldar get at least some page time.

Also, I like keeping the setting "frozen" as it makes it easier for new players to catch onto what's going on, and having seen what many other gaming companies have done to their settings when they try and keep time moving. (Shadowrun, I'm looking at you.)

leo_neil316
24-03-2008, 14:58
I want to see an imperial commander like Macharius pop up again and I want to see the guard stomp someone, preferably the tau.

I am -so- very sick of the 'tau win' attitude g.w and especially forge world have.

Anyone read the second aeronautica book? Tau launch a big 'ole deep striking sneak offensive deep into imperial space and a huge battle of britain style war plays out on a lightly garrisoned, mostly water, production planet. Which the imperial guard eventually win, the tau experimental stealth ships are scuttled or killed, their commanders slain, their hidden secret base assaulted by battalions of guardsmen and their taint clensed from the world.

And right at the end of the book? A paragraph who's sole purpose is explaining how, despite all of them dying, the tau won anyway.

Seriously I cheered when I read 'the war of dakka' in the new ork 'dex and saw the tau loosing for once, -especially- to the orks.

So yeah, I want the imperial war machine to recover from leviathan (orks killed it and necrons thinned the orks back out after) and the thirtenth black crusade (Cadia retaken and chaos bottled back up by, obviously extended with the eye of terror expansion, defences) and go...

'What're all these worlds around here? What do you mean some bunch of xenos captured them? Didn't we send a crusade that way? Lack of reinforcements due to all the other stuff happening? Well we've got some breathing room now, lets teach those blue gits that you don't screw with the imperium of man.

And this time it's a proper crusade, not the barely half a battlegroup effort the last one was.

Drachenfell
24-03-2008, 15:43
Being a Tau player I never got the impression that they were a very small empire against all odds kinda thing. Instead they tend to win every battle (Sorely dissapointed with the Imperial Armour book) where they miraculously walked over space marines, imperial guard and a group of titans with apparent ease.

I like the Tau. I think they're a great little race. But I'd like to see them as a backs up against the wall people. Where there is a great deal of loss at their first venture into the galactic forum. Rather than this current trend where Tau are so vastly superior. >.>

Though we all know ze Tau are just a Necron deceiver product. Y'know... The whole forehead thing they got going...

:P

Aeolian
24-03-2008, 16:01
A lot has happened within a few hundred years of the current date anyway.

Macharius was recent for one.

I also don't need GW explicitly telling me there are things like renegade human empires or even undiscovered human empires.

Firaxin
24-03-2008, 16:01
Tau has done something similar, seizing the opportunity to expand their empire through negotiations, threats and all out battles as well as saving some worlds from imminent bug infestation.
No, the Tau need to lose. Big time. They're more arrogant than the Eldar, which is a bad thing.

Next campaign is therefore the massive reclamation campaign of the Imperium where GW would actually let the Imperial players affect the storyline and shape the new empire.
GW will never let the players decide the storyline because then pretty much everyone would declare crusades against 'a certain race' and GW wouldn't risk any of the races being eliminated.

1. All out open war between the weakened Imperium and the now stronger Tau Empire
<snip>
3. Full on orc Waaagh, since noone will really consider the Orc threat due to the Tau and Chaos legions.

Tau Legions?!?!?!

This is the kinda person I'm talking about, Imperialis_Dominatus.

I think an Adeptus Mechanicus codex should be released.
And I think we should finally see the secrets of The Dark Age of Technology.
Silly Tau keep saying they're more advanced than us...

Archangel_Ruined
24-03-2008, 16:12
They can't bring back the emperor as he'd be too hard is what half of me wants to say, but then again they've mooched the C'Tan in. However, if the emperor dies it's bad news for mankind, if a C'Tan dies he just nips off to another body. I think GW could stand to kill off a few characters in the fluff, as it doesn't take them out of the game. There wasn't anything to stop them killing Abadon, Ghazkull, Yarrick or any of the big centre pieces of the last few campains. I'm looking forward to the next wave of the necrons, as in fluff terms they're waking up in stages so the next codex should have some new shinyness and hopefully a bit more character in the army. I'd like to see something happen with the dark eldar, even if it's just killing them off as I'd rather they become folk-fluff heroes than limp on with crap models and so out of date they're bent rules.

Neknoh
24-03-2008, 16:17
Ah yes, it wasn't written in the best of formulations I'm afraid :p

Basically, I meant the Tau as a separate group, not connected to the use of the word "Legions". Guess I should've written "due to Tau and the Chaos legions" I would love to see the tau loose, a proper crusade into their new territory to merely beat them the hell out of there. Let the Imperial Guard and Navy stomp them good for once.

EDIT: And by "letting gamers decide", I honestly think a crusade where the gamers would direct the crusade would be ace. No complete destruction of an entire race or anything, merely a good pummeling (IF the Imperial players manage this) of a race which many Imperial players feel pummeling.

Luckywallace
24-03-2008, 16:42
What I would like is for the Void Dragon to be directly encountered on Mars... but not go on some rampage and start destroying things.

There are heavy hints that the Adeptus Mechanius on Mars worship the Void Dragon as some sort of deity and even "feed" it. Rather than the dragon just get up, stretch its wings and go ona grouchy rampage how about a single Inquisitor goes to Mars looking for corruption, finds out about all this, maybe even has a direct encounter with the Void Dragon (the way some have had encounters with The Deciever), but yet nothing "big" happens from it.

Essentially the Void Dragon would have the Imperium by the family jewels (a quick trip to Terra, kill the Emperor and the astronomican blinks out... no more Imperium)... but yet the Dragon is very happy chilling out on Mars where he is. Interesting.

Wolf Scout Ewan
24-03-2008, 18:42
My personal feelings...

Are the same as mine. The Emporer in response to the touch of a human being awakes, regenerates and leaves the prison of his throne.

"That... was only supposed to be temporary."

Neknoh
24-03-2008, 18:43

¤steaks WFS' idea¤ ¤whistles innocently¤ I have a looooong story to write :p

Kissaholic
24-03-2008, 20:24
Hmmmm, lots of people who want the Emperor reborn.

Might i ask why? It means the Imperium will become stronger than any other force in the Galaxy, like it was before the Heresy.

Well I would like to see how the space marines reacted and wonder if there are any other people could rise to the job and if the space marines would even survive or would they be wiped out entirely because they felt there was no use to fighting there leader would be wiped out

Kandarin
24-03-2008, 20:26
I want to see more cases of antagonism and outright warfare between the forces of the Nightbringer and the Deceiver. So far, the Necron fluff has painted the Necrons and C'tan as an unstoppable force of absolute omnipotence and invincibility. The only plausible reason why they haven't already crushed the entire galaxy already is that, like Chaos and the Orks, they have factional infighting that cancels their threat somewhat.

Vult
24-03-2008, 20:55
Why is everyone always against change in the 40K story? I just dont get it. The issues of balance and all that go out the window when you are talking about fluff. I mean we are not going to see the emperor played in any games....probably never even see primarchs on the table (that is if the fluff changed and they came back). But even if you did see Leman Russ stride the field again...then of course Fulgrim would decide that it is time to leave the eye of terror with his other 6 daemon prince primarch brothers. Then the Tyranids would decide to show their new fleet and their newest bio engineered GeneCarnatyrant. Its not always a bigger is better thing either. Its simply the fact that something needs to break with the story. There is to much "it was a draw" bull crap. Im sorry but Abaddon would have destroyed Cadia by now and THEN he would have got his ass handed to him on Fenris! The next obvious step on the way to Terra. Come on there is just to much story not being told!

Cade
24-03-2008, 21:26
I want the Imperium to find a central STC database, get loads of shiny new toys and go kick ass in the Second Great Crusade.

Move the storyline on, guys.........this constant draw, draw, draw stuff is getting OLD.

Vult
24-03-2008, 23:48
Move the storyline on, guys.........this constant draw, draw, draw stuff is getting OLD.

AMEN to that brother!

Firaxin
25-03-2008, 00:15
Forgiven, Neknoh. ;)

Chaplain of Chaos
25-03-2008, 01:03
Move the story forward! PLEASE....40K is a stagnant universe!

No offense Vult, but if you read that it's funny. Ya know.. cause 40k is.. a stagnant universe...

I would like to see the Emperor flex his muscles as well, perhaps not just "OMGWTFPWN" everyone but perhaps become a true power in the warp.

Either that or I want some of the Daemon Primarchs to kick Abaddons armoured rump out of the way and persecute a real Black Crusade.

mjolnir
25-03-2008, 01:41
What is it that you want to see happen in the background?

Plot advancement. A little will do.

Vult
25-03-2008, 02:23
No offense Vult, but if you read that it's funny. Ya know.. cause 40k is.. a stagnant universe...

I would like to see the Emperor flex his muscles as well, perhaps not just "OMGWTFPWN" everyone but perhaps become a true power in the warp.

Either that or I want some of the Daemon Primarchs to kick Abaddons armoured rump out of the way and persecute a real Black Crusade.

HAHA okay your right...but at least it seems like the majority of people on this thread seem to be in favor of some form of advancement!

Imperialis_Dominatus
25-03-2008, 04:48
As far as advancement goes... Hellebore has a nice sentiment on that that you can find in my sig. ;) Just sayin'.

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-03-2008, 04:54
Hmmm.

Here is some thing i would like to see.

Eldar: should attack the Tau, i would like to read a story where these 2 incredibly Technologically advanced civilisations fight each other. I want the Eldar to win becuase of experience.

Imperial Guard: Crusades, need i say more. One to the Tau worlds, one to face the orks, one to fight Leviathon. And i want victories dammit!

Necrons: Some infighting with the Ctan would be cool, but mostly i would like to see Necrons become alittle more active in the universe.

Orks: I want stories of the Orks fighting the Tyranids. That just seems like such a cool brawl to me.

Space marines: not much, really. The rest of the universe wants a go.

Tau: I want them to fight, and lose. I want them to realise that they are small small beings in a big galaxy and they arent ready to fight it yet. They only win when the enemy isnt looking.

Tyranids: I think a few losses for the nids would be good too. They are bugs who are fearless. Alright thats pretty tough. But they arent invincible, not by a long shot, and they should be beaten back.

Lexington
25-03-2008, 05:29
Why is everyone always against change in the 40K story? I just dont get it.
Because the story is, at this very moment, set just before everything goes to hell. The Great Chaos incursion is just around the corner (or was, and then it happened, and was entirely disappointing), the Tyranids are beginning their slow and inexorable advance, and the Star Gods and their Necrontyr slaves are awakening into a universe once more filled with life to devour. Prophecies tell of a dark age approaching, signs of the end times pop up constantly, Primarchs are said to be returning, and returning soon, etc. Things are about to happen, and that's much more exciting, because it entices the imagination.

Also, what happens if it sucks? I've watched the Iron Kingdoms move from an interesting world on the precipice of war to a mildly amusing world at war to an utterly boring world at a stalemate, and the less said about Battletech, the better. Eventually, big fantasy/sci-fi worlds with advancing storylines become a Marvel Comics-scale mess of continuity errors, twisted plots and ridiculous storylines, and I think the Black Library's given us enough of those already, thanks. Heck, GW already seems to be doing all it can to forget the 13th Crusade and Storm of Chaos like a pair of alcohol-soaked benders, and good on them for it - they were prime examples of how moving your main plotline forward can be an enormous, embarrassing mistake.

As it is, 40K in it's frozen state is an invitation to do your own thing. The universe doesn't need to move as a whole (worlds hardly do that coherently, much less galaxies), and there's a possibility of a bajillion stories to tell in 40K as it stands now. Why do you need GW to move things along for you, when they've left you all these hooks to explore on your own?

(better answer - because we're just one year away from having to rename all of our stuff 'Warhammer 50K', and that would be a pain!)

Kyrios
25-03-2008, 10:49
Agreed, I think the anticipation of things to come is much better than anything GW could actually think of.

Speaking as a Tau collector, yeah we would need our flat faces kicked in for once.
The smallish nature of the Tau Empire is not sufficiently enforced in the fluff and could need some back up.
In forge worlds defence however, they do state that the Imperial effort consisted of leftovers from the build up in the Cadian sectro and was hadly noticed in the Administratum while the Tau effort was more like the major combat operation in the Empire at the time and still could not engage the Gue'la in open battle.
However this is easily forgotten once you get into the campaign.

Back OT I would like to see, Imperials thrashing Tau, the Tau evolving a more sinister twist on their community and more Taros like (ie. its not the fate of mankind and or the galax) backgrounds and stories.

Iracundus
25-03-2008, 10:59
Realisticly vast changes can't occur (emperor being reborn / Void Dragon awakening / Nids' reaching the Sol System etc.) without the whole 'feel' of the setting changing.

With this in mind, what I want to see is the timeline moving forward by 1 year. Yes, just one year; and each 'real world year' moves the 40K date forward 1 more year.

This way no fundamental changes are needed, but worlds can be recaptured or fall, crusades can be launched, the stories behind player's characters can advance etc. without everything happening in 999.M41. It's getting hard to find reasons for my Blood Angels to have taken part in Armageddon III, the 13th Black Crusade, and Medusa V without spending most of their time in the warp going from place to place.

This was what was done previously in older editions of 40K, and what they should go back to doing again. It allowed for gradual change (by change being additional detail being added to each race's background), without huge upheaval in the overall situation. The huge upheaval scenarios some people are concocting are the types of things that will never happen precisely because it would overturn the status quo too quickly. Gradual change on the other hand like how Behemoth, was followed by Kraken in 2nd ed. and then Leviathan in 3rd ed. or how Tycho went from normal BA Captain to scarred Phantom of the Opera mask wearer to finally dead on Armageddon 3., however should happen as it then gives the impression of movement without truly threatening any one race or army.

Vult
25-03-2008, 11:21
Because the story is, at this very moment, set just before

Also, what happens if it sucks? I've watched the Iron Kingdoms move from an interesting world on the precipice of war to a mildly amusing world at war to an utterly boring world at a stalemate.

Im sorry....did you just describe 40K? Yes I think you did.

Okay...I do not find 40K boring...but I honestly think anticipation becomes an annoyance if you never see any of what you are anticipating. I guess I just have plot line blue balls *shrug*

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-03-2008, 11:50
Okay...I do not find 40K boring...but I honestly think anticipation becomes an annoyance if you never see any of what you are anticipating. I guess I just have plot line blue balls *shrug*

Well we have alot of time to fill in between the Heresy till now, and also the other races such as the war in heaven, etc.

malika
25-03-2008, 12:27
Okay, we have to fill in at least 10 thousand years of history for about a million worlds just to cover the Imperium. Then we have all that stuff that happens in between and around it all. Then there are the other races who each have a gigantic history as well, not to mention the at least 65 million years and the time before that with the War of Heaven. Saying that we have to move forward just because there isn't anything interesting anymore is just a lack of creativity in my humble opinion! :o

Lexington
25-03-2008, 12:34
But there are so many plotlines! The openness of the 40K universe allows, nay, encourages you to create characters and micro-settings of your own! At any given time, there are a million wars and a billion plots to follow, all on your own, and without messing with the established facts of the galaxy. Why rely on the established Movers and Shakers to do things when you can have all this fun independently?

I just don't get this urge on the part of so many players to bring everything in line with a thundering, galaxy-shattering narrative. 40K's a setting, not a storyline.

Well we have alot of time to fill in between the Heresy till now, and also the other races such as the war in heaven, etc.
I still think that's going a bit far - what about the smaller things? There's something like 900 Space Marine Chapters that have, at best, a name and a color scheme, or even less. Ork tribes infest the galaxy, and if you don't know the fun of making up a warboss and his supporting characters, lemme tell you, you're missing out. Eldar have all sorts of unexplored characters just begging to be created and given a personality. Heck, the Imperium of Man contains a million worlds, and we have details on, what, maybe a hundred? Two hundred? Seems like the current setting of 40K has more than enough for players to explore and do their own thing with. Check out the Anargo Sector project if you want to see a group of players creating an entirely believable and vibrant setting with all sorts of plotlines to explore. You can affect millions of lives in 40K, and plausibly have it be less than a burp in the universe. That's part of the fun of 40K.

jibbajabbawocky
25-03-2008, 13:05
The problem with Massive Upheaval (tm) is that, inevitably, it will not be acceptable to a good number of people.

Lets take the hypothetical Imperium Civil War that lots of people want. What would happen if your two favorite Space Marine Chapters, or IG Regiments, ended up on opposite sides? What if your favorite Chapter, or character or planet got destroyed? Oh, that's a nice Dark Angels army you have! Too bad they got wiped out last year, so you really can't play them in tournaments, unless you want to look like that sad guy who's still using his Squats as proxy IG/SMs.

You play Iron Warriors!?! Haven't you heard they rebelled against Chaos, so they can't take Defilers or Chaos gifts anymore? Well, you could always use that Deamon Prince as a showpiece now, I guess.

And these problems get WORSE over time, as things keep changing.

There'll have to be at least two Space Marine codices, one for loyal and one for rebel, since they'd probably have different equipment and such afterwards. etc, etc.

Iracundus
25-03-2008, 13:35
Which is why I in the above earlier posts tried to explain that storyline change does not necessarily equate to Massive Upheaval. The latter is an example of the former but the former does not mean the latter.

The problem with "filling in the holes of the past" is that we already know in broad swathes what happened, and also some races did not become active until recently. The Imperium is still "ra ra go kill the xenos" , Chaos doesn't accomplish a major foothold out of the Eye until the 13th Black Crusade, the Necrons don't start waking til the Age of Apostacy at the very earliest (and they're still in the process of waking even now in the "present"), the Tyranids don't show up til only 200 or so years before the present, and the same with the Tau's empire.

Imperialis_Dominatus
25-03-2008, 21:05
First off, I'd quote Malika and Lexington but all I have for them is 'Quoted for truth.'

Agreed, I think the anticipation of things to come is much better than anything GW could actually think of.

Agreed... not too confident in them myself.

Speaking as a Tau collector, yeah we would need our flat faces kicked in for once.

Awesome! I'll get started right away!

Let's see... my renegades were buzzing around the Eastern Fringe one day, avoiding Imperials... all of a sudden they saw a bunch of blue fish-men with hooves and S5 basic weapons (:eyebrows:) pushing around humans and such and trying to get them to submit to xenos ideology. The Chapter says '**** this, we may not be Imperial but we're still humans dammit' and leads the humans in a massive uprising on that world spearheaded by the renegade Astartes themselves. Such an uprising, even if crushed, will still provide insurgents for decades to come... :D

Im sorry....did you just describe 40K? Yes I think you did.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Iron Kingdoms. :p

Yeah... advancement isn't always good... especially when used to sell product (damn you Blizzard! Damn you! *shakes fist at the sky angrily*).

Haha, plotline blue balls... interesting description. If your pain is that bad... looks like 40k fluff is, in fact, serious business. ;)

Burnthem
25-03-2008, 21:20
I want some faction, don't really care which, to fight its way to Terra. I want them to get into the throne room itself, where the Emperor sits. I want them to point their guns at him.

Then I want him to stand up.

Pure win. Enough said. :D

I dont want the timeline brought forwards, as mentioned by others there is 10,000 years of history to play with, why mess with the whole atmosphere when there is so much to explore in the past?

But if i had to have something happen, it would be the current favourite of the Emperor waking up/reincarnating/whatever. Totally unbalancing and fan-boyish i know, but he'd kick some serious ass.

Shamfrit
25-03-2008, 21:23
The Hrud.

I want them to be Skaven, not conveniently rat like wyrd totting teleporting sub-terranean fanboys. I WANT THEM TO BE SKAVEN!

Not much else to say really - think of all the Skaven Elitists that won't play 40k because of no Horned Rat love, you'd be awash!

Moostikal The Confused
25-03-2008, 21:36
I'd like the squats to re-emerge, just long enough for one of them to run over and smack the tau with the 'stick of common sense', which results in them winding there effin collective neck in and start pickin on someone who wouldn't be realistically able to wipe them out in a matter of months if they put the effort in(i'm on about the imperium here and no, it doesn't merit a capital i).

If one of the deamon primarchs would remove the thumb from his/its anus, kick abaddon the disappointing into touch, eat cadia (GW has stated in the guard codex that other guard regt's copy cadias look so they CAN keep there models), go on a merry dance of destruction and, i dunno, take the Maelstrom from that cap'n jack wannabe huron and maybe DO SOMETHING.

Also, it would be nice if the eldar whingers would realise that the imperial fist character of Lysander(he's cool so he gets a capital) is stated to be long dead yet still has a statline and get over the whole dead eldrad thing.

Just as an aside, i'd like to see a short story about an explorator team going to, reaching and 'exploring' the Dysons Sphere below the galactic plane. Wouldn't have to be very long once they got there, 'doors open and maybe give then a few hours before ******* out at what they find then die.

I don't want the main state of affairs in the fluff to change, just the players get a shuffle and maybe add to the madness.

Meh, what do i know, i've got a week off work and i'm sober for some reason.

Fulgrim's Gimp
25-03-2008, 21:55
I'd like to see the following:

The Tau become more susceptible to corruption, or explore Farsight's turning from the Ethereal's more. Virtually no warp prescence in my book does not mean immune to Chaos,just harder to corrupt.

The Red Corsairs being destroyed utterly by the Imperium perhaps after being manipulated by the Word Bearers.

The Chaos Legions taking the forefront in wars against the Imperium and providing a military and moral threat to reflect their background in the HH novels.More incursions by daemon primarchs would be good.

The 13th Company returning with their mysterious leader to act as force outside Imperial control and to put the fear into the Chaos legions (perhaps destroy a few renegade chapters on the way)

The dark eldar being well detailed and their background fleshed out properly.Perhaps greater links to the necrontyr or ritualised Chaos Worship of Khorne for incubi only, like the relationship DE have with Khaine in warhammer

Near human races coming to the fore such as maybe the Interex (or squats/varyngyr) as possible allies/threats.

More personality to the necrons

squeekenator
26-03-2008, 09:49
Tyranids: I think a few losses for the nids would be good too. They are bugs who are fearless. Alright thats pretty tough. But they arent invincible, not by a long shot, and they should be beaten back.

Ummm... what? Every Tyranid invasion so far has been beaten by a combination of fanboyism and handwavium. What's that noise? Oh, it's the sound of the 1st company beating a Hive Fleet while Imperial scientists who struggle to make a toaster reverse engineer a disease made by the ultimate masters of biotechnology and force-feed it to something 100 times their size.

Drachenfell
26-03-2008, 10:00
I've never had a problem with the Ultras stopping a fleet. They are space marines. And fluffically space marines are sorely bad ass. But I also think that the Tyranids have been pretty favoured otherwise in terms of victories. Which is okay. They're meant to be unstoppable.

Arne these meant to just be scout fleets anyway? And a galaxy sized fleet on its way through the void?

ICEMANQ
26-03-2008, 10:06
I want to see Praetoria rise up from the ashes of history and conquer the Eye of Terror! Maybe then GW would actually release plastic models for them.

Also, I want to see the Emperor arise from his throne, even more powerful than he was during his heyday. Accompanied by music from Battleship Yamato. That, or the Flight of the Valkyries.

Tapio
26-03-2008, 10:11
Oh man, I seriously think there's no way Da Emperors getting up anytime soon. Besides, it would be like "The Mummy" all over Terra, or what would YOU do if this thing (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/2/28/Sanctum.jpg) suddenly rose up and started to pwn b***hes left and right?

Tiamat
26-03-2008, 10:21
The triumphant return of the Senei, the imortal descendents of the Emperor! How cool would it be, massed civil war as factions battle for a legitimate succession to the Golden Throne! You could even have some factions allying with Xenos (Tau and Eldar in particular) to gain an advantage. I know that realms of Chaos described them as infertile, but some mix of IVF and cloning would solve that I reckon.

That and the wholesale obliteration of the Necrons. There are too many "we are the greatest evil in the universe" badguys, and somehow they manage to tame the untamable warp by seperating it from real space. The whole point of the warp is it cannot be mastered, yet somehow they can manipulate it to the extent that they can remove it. And just who is the greatest schemer in the universe? First Tzeentch is suppose to have everybody dancing to his tune, now GW retconned (retroactive continuity, means they change it but just pretend it's always been like that) it so the Deceiver is number one, can they please make up their minds and removed this day glow usurper! One less ultimate evil wouldn't be a bad thing. They're just Chaos Androids from the old Space Crusade game anyway, do we really need these second rate, B-movie, terminator wannabees?

In case the above isn't clear, no I don't like them. If you do then :p is all I have to say to you.

squeekenator
26-03-2008, 10:25
I've never had a problem with the Ultras stopping a fleet. They are space marines. And fluffically space marines are sorely bad ass. But I also think that the Tyranids have been pretty favoured otherwise in terms of victories. Which is okay. They're meant to be unstoppable.

Arne these meant to just be scout fleets anyway? And a galaxy sized fleet on its way through the void?

Stopping the fleet was fine, but all the actual bugs getting killed by a Titan Legion and the 1st company is complete male cattle excretory products.

Tapio
26-03-2008, 10:46
And just who is the greatest schemer in the universe? First Tzeentch is suppose to have everybody dancing to his tune, now GW retconned (retroactive continuity, means they change it but just pretend it's always been like that) it so the Deceiver is number one, can they please make up their minds and removed this day glow usurper!

Harrumph, care to give me an explanation as to why you left The Laughing God out of the "greatest schemer" contest?

Tiamat
26-03-2008, 10:51
Harrumph, care to give me an explanation as to why you left The Laughing God out of the "greatest schemer" contest?

Sorry, I'm not so hot on the current Eldar history.

I remember when the war in heaven was just between the Eldar gods with Vaul on one side and Khaine on the other, and when the old ones were destroyed by Chaos, not the Terminator Wannabees.

I hate retroactive continuity. Rewriting history. Couldn't the Necrons just have been somekind of newly discovered robot species that didn't have uberpowerful gods, or better still, a dormant AI left over from the Dark Age of Technology, like an evolution of the old Ironmen.

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-03-2008, 11:13
Pah. In my mind it'll always be:

1: Tzeentch
2: Cegorach
3: The damned newbie Deciever

That's my take.

Tiamat
26-03-2008, 11:24
Dominatus I like your thinking,

I mean recently in the fluff it's been,
"Ha! I am the Deceiver, and I have everybody dancing to my tune, everything that happens is my responsibility, I make all things in the galaxy happen as I want them to, arn't I great?"

Why is it never,
"Ha! I am the Deceiver, and I have everybody dancing to my tune, everything that happens is my responsibility, I make all things in the galaxy happen as I want them to DAMN THAT BUGGER TZEENTCH HAS GONE AND STUCK HIS NOSE IN AGAIN AND STUFFED IT ALL UP! He's just pissed about the time I got his favourite minion eaten by Nids!"

The writers don't seem to be making any effort to set these great conspirators in opposition to each other. They appear to have handed it all to goldie locks on a plate.

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-03-2008, 11:31
And fluffically space marines are sorely bad ass.

Fluffically.... heheh. And sorely badass. I like your style.

Yeah. :rolleyes: Makes all our games futile, doesn't it? Unless you're a Necron player. Then you've got Gods who pwnxor 4LL running around, basic guns that blast Land Raiders, one of your Gods in the smack dab center of the Imperium, and, of course, innumerable and unstoppable warriors. :rolleyes:

That roll eyes is pretty much how I feel about Necrons.

I want to see Praetoria rise up from the ashes of history and conquer the Eye of Terror! Maybe then GW would actually release plastic models for them.

Praetorians? Meh. The sun has set on the Empire, dude.

Also, I want to see the Emperor arise from his throne, even more powerful than he was during his heyday. Accompanied by music from Battleship Yamato. That, or the Flight of the Valkyries.

I agree. After ten thousand years of trillions of humans worth of worship, he damn well better be powerful.

"Ha! I am the Deceiver, and I have everybody dancing to my tune, everything that happens is my responsibility, I make all things in the galaxy happen as I want them to DAMN THAT BUGGER TZEENTCH HAS GONE AND STUCK HIS NOSE IN AGAIN AND STUFFED IT ALL UP! He's just pissed about the time I got his favourite minion eaten by Nids!"

So it was the God-Emperor damned Deciever who lost us the Squats? :mad:

*shakes fist at the sky*

That bastard will pay! In the blood of his loved ones and in the sorrow of his destruction I shall see him bow! Despair, so-called Deciever, for I am your doom! Doom! :evilgrin:

Shamfrit
26-03-2008, 13:44
Is there any focused fluff or background on Cegorach that actually indicates his presence/influence in the universe? It might just be a case of the unknown, how do we know if something is powerful if we don't know where he is...or isn't that power in itself?

Drachenfell
26-03-2008, 15:16
fluffically is a great word. Glad you like. ^_^ I always imagine Ultramarines with pink cheerleader pompons when I say it out loud.

Tapio
26-03-2008, 16:28
Is there any focused fluff or background on Cegorach that actually indicates his presence/influence in the universe? It might just be a case of the unknown, how do we know if something is powerful if we don't know where he is...or isn't that power in itself?

It was he who caused Nightbringer to go a "little nuts" and eat other C'Tan. And he's screwed with even more powerful entities, always disappearing from the scene and leaving them in the dust just for shi*s n' giggles.