PDA

View Full Version : Wanna start a gunline army, any suggestion?

him_15
24-03-2008, 01:10
I've been playing fantasy for over two years, now owning three army: Lizardmen, Chaos and Vampire Count, all feature 2k pts worth of troop.
As you can see, none of these army have any (or less) shooting troops at all.
And I am considering to start a forth army which would rely on heavy gunline..
So what army shall I pick?

Johnnyfrej
24-03-2008, 01:26
Depends on the kind of "gunline" you want.

Empire
-Handgunners, Archers/Huntsmen and Crossbowmen. Good price for units that will hit less than half their shots on average. Can use lots of them for not a lot of points or cash.
-Great Cannons and Mortars. Extremely powerful warmachines. Won't missfire often and when they do the worse is they will kill the machine and not anything else.
-Helstorms and Helblasters. Even more powerful than Mortars/GCs. More prone to missfires also. When they blow you will really feel it.

Wood Elf
-Don't know anything really specific.
-Low model count.
-Lots of powerful skirmishers.
-Can hide in forests and move them closer with magic.

Dwarf
-Better and more expensive then Empire. Their Thunderers are much more survivable then Handgunners and they have T4 with a good save.
-Artillery isn't as powerful as Empire but will almost never missfire. Also can give them runes to do fance stuff like magic cannons.

These are the three most common. I suppose a HE army can make a gunline/magic army if they take hordes or archers, shadow warriors and bolt throwers with mages using HE magic.

-Private Jon

TheLionReturns
24-03-2008, 01:44
I'm not entirely sure WE can be a gunline. You can have a lot of shooting but your low toughness and low armour mean you will lose a shootout with most opponents. WE missile fire is merely for softening enemies before combined charges. Gunline also implies static which is not the way to play WE effectively.

Out of Dwarfs and Empire I would lean towards Empire. I like the unreliability and love the idea of mobile firepower in pistoliers and outriders (although again being mobile does it cease to be a gunline?). I think I might personally get bored with dwarfs a bit more quickly without the extra randomness.

Teran
24-03-2008, 03:25
High Elves can be pretty effective with their RBT's but their archers are far from impressive.

I was at a tournament yesterday and I watched a dwarf warmachine crew take on some squig-something-or-others and beat them down... I've never actually seen a warmachine crew win a fight. I think Dwarfs might be the most fun to try out of those because you can always expand your army into something more balanced and have a tough army to boot, but if you're more interested in splody splody Empire seems to be the king of high risk high reward shootiness.

Though it's not popular mainly for the same reason high elf gunlines don't seem to be, Dark Elves can generate a massive number of shots per turn with their repeater xbows, though they're still low str.

W0lf
24-03-2008, 13:39
Dwaves make the best gunline.
Empire comming close second.

Wood elves are a terribly ineffective gunline. Glade guard are good in moderation, Theirs only so much S3 (S4 poss) bows can do. With no black powder or warmachines its not really a gunline.

Urgat
24-03-2008, 13:40
I suppose the skaven SAD army can count as a gunline?

W0lf
24-03-2008, 13:42
Yep. But tbh 'gunline' that draws most its strength from 15" range ratling guns and magic missiles is a lot easier to neuter.

Leogun_91
24-03-2008, 13:47
Empire
-Nasty artillery that likes to blow things up (including themselves)
-The moast fun handguns in the game
-Effective cavalry shooters

Dwarfs
-Reliable artillery
-Good and really expensive shooters
-Stubborn crew

Highelves
-Their artillery wonīt blow up
-Long range high BS shooters
-MAGIC

O&G
-The opponent wonīt expect it
-Can have up to 6 stone throwers
-Prorbly the chepest shooters avaiable (3pts nightgobbos with shortbows)

Skaven
-I donīt like them and thatīs it