PDA

View Full Version : HE - The Armor of Caledor question

ManusMarines
24-03-2008, 02:41
I have a question about what the rules for this particular piece of armor mean (new player). Does it mean that I have dragon armor with a save that can't be improved w/ shields/etc? Or does it mean that the save it confers stays exactly at that, and isn't modified by enemy strength/etc?

If it's the former, what's the point of purchasing the more expensive Caledor armor instead of just basic Dragon Armor>

alextroy
24-03-2008, 02:47
The Save cannot be improved by adding additional equipment such as a shield or a mount.

Why use it? Because it gives a 2+ save that can only otherwise be reached with Heavy/Dragon Armor, a Shield, and a barded Elven Steed. While it may be 1 point cheaper then Armor of Caledor, it means your on a steed which you sometimes don't want your character on.

EvC
24-03-2008, 10:49
The keyword is "improved". I don't know about you, but I don't consider having your armour save reduced by high strength enemy attacks to be much of an improvement. So of course, it can still be reduced.

superknijn
24-03-2008, 10:55
It's also useful on lords on dragons, as those don't get improved saves for being mounted. Without the Armour of Caledor, the highest save you can get is a 3+ (heavy armour + enchanted shield or dragonscale shield). In fact, the armour of caledor used to be limited to a dragon-mounted special character. (was it Imrik? Can't recall)

marv335
24-03-2008, 12:03
also you can give it to a swordmaster champion.
"Why yes, I will accept your challenge" :D

GranFarfar
24-03-2008, 15:10
It's also useful on lords on dragons, as those don't get improved saves for being mounted. Without the Armour of Caledor, the highest save you can get is a 3+ (heavy armour + enchanted shield or dragonscale shield). In fact, the armour of caledor used to be limited to a dragon-mounted special character. (was it Imrik? Can't recall)

Isnt armour of caledor, on foot only?

riven5
24-03-2008, 15:49
Nope, can be worn by anybody. A friend of mine put it on a Dragon Prince champion. :rolleyes:

eagletsi1
24-03-2008, 16:25
First off Armour of Caledor is more then 25 pts. So you can't give it to a unit champion. A BSB however is fine.

eagletsi1

Xavier
24-03-2008, 16:25
Did you slap him?

And no, eagletsi1, it is exactly 25 points... Funnily enough, most races seem to be getting a 25 point magic armour that gives a 2+ now :p

The_Warsmith
24-03-2008, 16:36
...instead of a 30pt magic armour that gave you a 1+ armour save (flayed huberk, *insert orcs name* dead ard armour ect...)

EvC
24-03-2008, 18:30
Flayed Hauberk is also 2+ save for 25 points in the new book :)
*waits for someone to come in and try and correct him, as is the norm*

24-03-2008, 19:09
Nope, can be worn by anybody. A friend of mine put it on a Dragon Prince champion. :rolleyes:

I almost spit my drink out laughing :skull:

Flayed Hauberk is also 2+ save for 25 points in the new book :)
*waits for someone to come in and try and correct him, as is the norm*

I'll correct you (I'd be wrong but I don't want you to wait to long :D )

SonofUltramar
25-03-2008, 09:25
Isnt armour of caledor, on foot only?

Someone remind me what is Caledor famous for again?

Did you slap him?

And no, eagletsi1, it is exactly 25 points... Funnily enough, most races seem to be getting a 25 point magic armour that gives a 2+ now :p

No really did you slap him because I can't see how your friend thought that was a good idea, popular ones are either the Helm of Fortune, Amulet of Light or Gem of Courage from what i've seen?

Also the Empire get a 1+ Save for the same points as everyone else's 2+ magic armour, woo hoo:)

aenarion67
25-03-2008, 09:41
caledor was famous for being the pheonix king during the sundering. he was the king of the time and challenged malekith to a fight and came out on top killing malekiths dragon and malekith fleed the battle. he was like named "caledor the conqueror" .

what really annoys me is that empire got armour of meteoric iron for 25pts 1+ save. HE gets 2+ save 25pts. but i do suppose immunity to flaming attacks is a bonus like fury of the forge.

yabbadabba
25-03-2008, 10:35
And you have to consider that only goblin characters are as universally pants as empire heroes.

"I have a 1+ save!"
"Yes but I hit before you, am stronger than you, you can't fight your way out of a wet paper bag, and if I say boo you run away"
"Good point. I'll get me coat"

You can't get more average than an Empire Character and that reflects their performance on the field - average.

ehlijen
25-03-2008, 11:26
I think dwarves also get a rune of 1+ save for the caledor armour cost. But then again, their characters come with better armour than everyone else standard (so it's less of a total improvement) and they are known for making good armour in the first place.

SonofUltramar
25-03-2008, 22:10
And you have to consider that only goblin characters are as universally pants as empire heroes.

"I have a 1+ save!"
"Yes but I hit before you, am stronger than you, you can't fight your way out of a wet paper bag, and if I say boo you run away"
"Good point. I'll get me coat"

You can't get more average than an Empire Character and that reflects their performance on the field - average.

well thats one point of view, conversly they have good characters but things like High Elves, Vampires and Chaos Lords distort the picture. When I use Empire I find their characters to be pretty damn good for what they are, support for units on the most part. Its only when you hold them to things like the characters mentioned previously they come off bad but they do cost alot more, usually twice the price at least?

As for the immunity to fire, it can be usefull as you know you can't be hurt but alot of flaming attacks are S4 so you'd still have a 2+ Save which isn't to shabby?

Caboose123
25-03-2008, 23:06
Quite a bit off-topic, but closer than you guys, (:p) why not put him on a steed?

Apart from looks, and maybe models, is there any disadvantage to being mounted? (Thus rendering this armour near-useless...)

Nurgling Chieftain
25-03-2008, 23:30
Great Weapon.

Atrahasis
26-03-2008, 00:29
Apart from looks, and maybe models, is there any disadvantage to being mounted?In addition to the great weapon already mentioned, you can't enter buildings, and if operating alone you only have 90 degree LOS.

Caboose123
26-03-2008, 00:32
Well... true enough! :D

alextroy
26-03-2008, 03:49
Also, while mounted you can't join Skirmishers and your US2, which is good until someone shoots at you and you happen to be operating alone.