PDA

View Full Version : Tau tolerance of the Emperor

Kyrios
24-03-2008, 20:34
Have been having some fluff milling about in my head lately (painting abstinence due to wisiting the old folks I guess)
Would the Tau accept that a newly assimilated Imperial world continue to worship the Emperor as a diety?
Or would they tear down his statues and flatten/rebuil his temples and disband the priesthood?
If so would they to it quietly and matter of factly or would they do it publicaly?

Neknoh
24-03-2008, 21:20
they would probably do it publically and execute the priesthood, since the priesthood would not bend to the Tau will

Crazy Ivan
24-03-2008, 22:21
According to Tau propaganda, it's all fine and dandy: (http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/background/4/)

+++ Tracking 0073-0084. Shot refocuses on Slovaz as he stops and turns, the settlement neatly framed in the background. The smile fades from his face as he suddenly becomes serious. +++

“We told them that we could never renounce the Emperor, the guiding light of Humanity, that to treat with the aliens was to imperil our immortal souls.”

+++ Note: He looks deadly serious, voice stress analysis tests say its unlikely he’s lying (3.2%) but such things can be faked. Presumably the unit’s commissar was no longer able to provide guidance for the men by this point. +++

“They told us we could worship who we pleased, that all we need do was play our part in the Greater Good and our culture would be welcomed into the empire. In the Guard our chances of being able to found a world were about a million to one. The Tau wanted to give this one to us just because we’d fought for it. We would have been insane not to accept.”

Kyrios
24-03-2008, 22:27
Great, to lazy to look that one up I guess, thanks Ivan.
But would they accept a 15 m high ivory statue of the light of mankind mightily crushing foul xenos under his righteous boot standing in front of the planetary govenors (tau equivalent) palace or main space port etc.?

Brother Siccarius
24-03-2008, 22:34
Great, to lazy to look that one up I guess, thanks Ivan.
But would they accept a 15 m high ivory statue of the light of mankind mightily crushing foul xenos under his righteous boot standing in front of the planetary govenors (tau equivalent) palace or main space port etc.?

Is it crushing a Tau? If not I think you're in the clear. Over generations they'd covertly change the ideas of the public to make them think it was commemorating a battle against an alien threat, and not just killing Xenos in general.

Remember, the diplomatic section of the Tau is the Water caste they flow around and slowly erode obstacles, not outright smash them.

ICEMANQ
25-03-2008, 02:16
I imagine that the Tau would be happy enough to control a human world, given their 'expanding rapidly' fluff. Religion can be weeded out over time.

Khaine's Messenger
25-03-2008, 02:17
If so would they to it quietly and matter of factly or would they do it publicaly?

They would have already begun eroding the world's beliefs before the "invasion" fleet arrives. Since we're talking actual assimilation instead of outright conquest or quarter being granted to Imperials being fed into a crusade against the Tau, it is quite likely that steps will be taken to create a more pliable image of the Imperium as a whole and the Emperor in specific. If a dissident cult is on the rise, then it may be supported, given sanction, or subverted so as to undercut the Imperial Faith. Remember, a lot of the Imperial worlds taken before the sudden and explosive Third Phase are going to be border worlds where contact was distant already, and on a great many the True/Old Faith may already be dwindling except for worlds closely associated with sector capitals.

The main problem would be when it comes to humans who make it their business to travel between systems; the incoherent way in which the Tau do their business might be off-putting, since one world might be totally devoid of Emperor worship while another would still have a great deal. Which is why they also have to lock down human "spacer" culture through conversion or coin. The blatant treason shown in the intro text for the Tau fleet in BFG:Armada shows that they can be pretty persuasive with regards to convincing Imperials to cast off the aquila.