PDA

View Full Version : Army of the Witch King?

Eryx_UK
24-03-2008, 21:45
I'm tempted to get into LotR minis purely because the idea of a simple wargame appeals more at this point than WFB. However, if I did I fancy playing an army of the Witch King - basically thinking something akin to a mix of undead (spirits, barrow wraiths and the like) and orcs & evil men.

Is this possible and if so which source material would I need to get?

Thanks.

Rabid Bunny 666
24-03-2008, 22:45
Not much of a LOTR buff, but the Necromancer one seems like a good place to start, also, the new WD says something about a Ringwraith army, could be worth waiting for.

rodmillard
24-03-2008, 23:17
Ruin of Arnor and/or Fall of the Necromancer would give you the options you need.

Eryx_UK
24-03-2008, 23:43
Thanks very much for your advice.

Soulless Enigma
25-03-2008, 00:54
Also, the core rulebook might come in handy ;).

Eryx_UK
25-03-2008, 02:12
Also, the core rulebook might come in handy ;).

I'm trying to find one cheap on Ebay.

I have been told that theres a difference between the paperback and hardback versions. Something about one having units that don't appear in the other or other supplements?

Dr Death
25-03-2008, 09:44
Yeah- the paperback only includes heroes and units that appear in the film while the hardback includes heroes and units that appear in the book (as well as ones made up by GW) as well. Supplements include the stats for book/made up models as applicable

Dr Death

Necron god
25-03-2008, 10:03
cool my gondor can kick witchs bums now =D go for it

also i have a small version of the newest rule book =D

Neknoh
25-03-2008, 11:32
Hrmm... what more, except for:

Big Blue Book
Ruin of Arnor
Fall of the Necromancer

I would also suggest you pick up the sourcebook for The Two Towers (the new book, not the old red cover), for access to Spectres and some very nice scenarios etc.

Necron god
25-03-2008, 15:55
Also some models to play the game ;)

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
26-03-2008, 00:06
yeah uin of arnor has all the spirits that you nedd to have apart from castallens there in fall of the necromancer

Eryx_UK
26-03-2008, 00:11
I popped into my nearest GW today and had a demo of the game. I was impressed with the LotR game, far more so than with WFB and picked up the rules and Ruin of Arnor.

I'llk save some cash and pick up some figures in the near future.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Eryx_UK
26-03-2008, 20:24
After reading through the Arnor sourcebook it mentions that as allies I can use the Monsters of Middle Earth. However, I can't find that book on the GW website. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Mkstein
26-03-2008, 20:53
Monsters of Middle Earth is all the REALLY big gribblys and such that GW have - Guluahvar (sp?), T' Balrog, Dragon etc... with the profiles all in different places. It's a list found in Legions of Middle Earth, a book I would really recommend you get - once you get it, a whole new world of gaming is opened to you.
Also, all those lists of Armies wou can ally with a lists - not entire races etc... a single sourcebook contains from 3-7 army lists, hence why in the RoA you get the Grey Company, Arnor and others.

Hope that helps.

Eryx_UK
26-03-2008, 20:59
Thanks very much, that explains it a lot better than the GW staff did.

Guard Of The Citadel
26-03-2008, 21:51
Thanks very much, that explains it a lot better than the GW staff did.

Yeah I got that too, I have a feeling the GW staff hate LOTR as I had a old ripped up LOTR rulebook thrown at me and my friend by one of the staff members a few weeks ago and it was a 1st Edition rulebook, the first one they made, I said afterwards you could of given that to me :evilgrin:

HsojVvad
27-03-2008, 03:17
In the little book, the one you get with Mines of Moria, you also get the undead, the one where Aragorn went into the caves to get to help out at Pelenor Fields in RotK. That army was forgotten to be put in the big book.

You should be able to download it at the GW web site.

Mkstein
30-03-2008, 14:27
Also, it's now in Gondor in Flames.

Cheers Eryx. Now, just get building!