PDA

View Full Version : Help make non-cheese shooty Skaven

Brothermarcus
25-03-2008, 06:51
Hi all,

I am very attracted to skaven weaponry and the mentality of shooting into your own troops. That being said I want an experience that will be fun (and hopefully funny) for my opponent as well as myself. I also want a list that can take all comers with a decent (and only decent) chance of winning.

I know that SAD armies are some of the most detested, overpowered, and unfun lists to play against. So that's my question - how do I keep the feeling and general hillarity of gun-toting rats without making a cheesy list that wins 90% of game with an unwavering playstyle.

~bm

Necromancer2
25-03-2008, 12:41
4 blocks of clanrats (2 with weapon teams)
2 to 3 blocks of slaves
never more then 2 warlocks
1 unit of Jezzies
1 warplighting cannon

fillout the rest as you see fit.

shartmatau
25-03-2008, 12:45
I've always liked seeing rat ogres. You can get a good number of them too. They aren't the best thing but are fun to see on the board.

Firebreather
25-03-2008, 13:42
I think Necromancer summed it up pretty nicely, and I'll agree with him on that. Honestly, it's not too hard to make an effective non-SAD Skaven army nowadays, especially since weapon teams can be targetted independantly from the "parent units". So you say way less Ratling Guns and the like.

I stick with one large unit of Jezzails myself, around 8 or 9. They're powerful, sure, but they're far from overpowered. To say the least....

A couple of Warlocks is nice, and I see no problems there. A Warp Lightning Cannon is nice, and isn't at all out of place in a normal Skaven army.

Just do your best to keep the horde of scrambling ratmen feel and you'll be fine.

Edit: Oh, and shartmatau I love Rat Ogres too. They look sweet, and occasionally actually do something.

Gimp
25-03-2008, 13:56
A screaming bell is fun to use.

Night Runners can be useful and so can plague rats.

Shamfrit
25-03-2008, 17:01
A Screaming Bell is the best asset a Skaven player has, making the Grey Seer harder to kill, pumping out dispel dice to protect the unit pushing it, and giving your Grey Seer an extra spell per turn potentially, as well as the very random, but potentially game winning Striking Effects.

To be honest, a unit of Plague Monks with Plague Censer Bearers is more worthy of a Rare slot than the Cannon is, especially due to it automatically fleeing after being charged (something Bretonnians will exploit, continuously) and as far as Jezzails go, protect them, they WILL draw alot of attention, even more than the Bell - both however, gives you a solid grounding for alot of ranged firepower.

A unit of 8 Jezzails works well for me personally, flank guarded by slaves (who can flank charge anything that charges the Jezzails.)

Anukex
13-04-2008, 05:27
The one way I kinda uncheese my Skaven army is call out how maney dice im using with my rattling gun. Ya they go ape *#^@ more thanks to me going with 3d6 but I like seeing fuffs of smoak and fur flying everywhere.

fubukii
13-04-2008, 17:42
i do not think wpn teams are very good, too fragile for thier costs and easy to target and kill

THe list i normally run is kinda shooty but not to over the top in 2k

warlord
3 warlocks
4 units of 29 clanrats
4 units of 25 slaves
2 units of 5 night runners
8-9 jezzails
2-3 tunnel teams of gutter runners
2 wlc