PDA

View Full Version : 2k Vampires..pretty noob

Timk1111
25-03-2008, 10:20
Gday,

Here's the VC list I have planned. Help would be great!

L - Vampire Lord
Wizard (lev 4), Lord of the Dead, Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolate, Flyed Hauberk, Crown of the Damned, Talisman of the Lynci, Black Periapt, Sword of Might

H - Necromancer
Invocation of Nehek, Book of Arkhan

C - 20x Skeletons
F/C, Banner of Dead Legion

C - 20x Zombies
F/C

C - 10x Crypt Ghouls

C - 10x Crypt Ghouls

C - 5x Dire Wolves

C - 5x Dire Wolves

C - Corpse Cart
Balefire

C - Corpse Cart
Balefire

S - 4x Fell Bats

S - 6x Black Knights
F/C, Banner of Strigos

S - 18x grave Guard
F/C

R - Vargulf

PD - 9-10 with periapt (+3 bound spells)
DD - 5-6 with periapt (upto -2 to cast with 2 corpse carts)

TOTAL - 1997

Theres always SOMETHING I wish I could fit in...basicly wish I could fit in some wraiths, but they can wait till 2250 I guess (5 expands to this points level nicely!)

Thoughts? Regards, Tim

DrakenhofGuard
25-03-2008, 20:19
Your a bit short in vampires and will have a moderate magic phase something that vampires kind of need both of anyways working around that i dont understand why you have the talisman of lycni on your lord hes not going to hunt war machines he should be right in the middle of your army

you really only have three blocks that cand do damage and if the black knights run off that leaves you with two the GG and the skeletons in my opinion i would make one unit out of the ghouls and have them tag along with the GG and skellies

personally i would drop a corpse cart and if you change the ghouls to skellies would be convenient for your lord so he can cast IoN easier on them considering your moderate magic power anyways i think that those ghouls depending on what you do with them will make or break your list

Oberon
25-03-2008, 20:30
IMO the banners need a bit of tuning. What are GG or BK going to do with banner of hellfire? They both have magical attacks allready, so the benefit is fire. Maybe for BK, but there are just better banners around. Barrows and warbanner for both wight units, and the dead legion for BK (even small knights can autobreak, yay)... Hate-banner is quite good too. I might drop the other CC, talisman of lycni, one of those banners, and the standard of zombies (they are there to die, anyway), and take more stuff in. Like a vampire (a budget vamp, like dreadknight+periapt, while of course dropping the periapt from your lord, making way for a dispell scroll), or more GG.
The mastery power of the lord is odd now, you have 3 different raisable core regiments, and only one benefits from your power while 2 of them dont and the fourth regiment can't have one... Remove ghouls, add in another skeleton regiment? Or change the mastery power :D

Timk1111
25-03-2008, 21:37
Thanks for the replies guys!

The list has been slightly modified now, too, in the Lord and GG.

What I'd like to ask, is why the need for a 2nd Vampre? What I've done here, is juice a ton of points into just 1, that can pretty much do the job of 2, and works out cheaper....well, thats was the plan.

Dropping a corpse cart wouldeasily be the best way to fit another vamp in. At this stage, tho, I'll have 2 anyhow, since they came in the battalion box...this is also why I included Ghouls (plus the models rock!)

I wanted to flank the Skels and GG with a unit of Ghouls each, protecting flanks, and flank charging them selves, or targeting smaller, skermishers and such. So is this a valis tactic with them? I thought a t4 unit would be suit pretty well to the job. I can see It would be a good idea to raise them past start numbers tho...I'll look into that for sure!

Talisman of Lynci and Banner of hellfire (now removed) were mainly just points fillers TBH. The Talisman is still there, it's simply a 'just in case' thing, and has the surprise factor about it. iT's so damn cheap anyway...

Thanks again, Ill have some things to think about now :)

Regards, Tim

Timk1111
26-03-2008, 09:08
Ok guys, Ive come up with an alternative list, Including a 2nd vamp. See how it is:

L - Vampire Lord
Wizard (lev 4), Lord of the Dead, Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolate, Flyed Hauberk, Crown of the Damned, Talisman of the Lynci, Black Periapt, Sword of Might

H - Necromancer
Invocation of Nehek, Book of Arkhan

H - Vampire
Flying Horror, Avatar of Death, Helm of Commandment

C - 20x Skeletons
F/C, Banner of Dead Legion

C - 20x Zombies
F/C

C - 10x Crypt Ghouls

C - 5x Dire Wolves

C - 5x Dire Wolves

C - Corpse Cart
Balefire

S - 4x Fell Bats

S - 6x Black Knights
F/C

S - 18x grave Guard
F/C

R - Vargulf

PD - 10-11with periapt (+2 bound spells)
DD - 5-6 with periapt (upto -1 to cast with 1 corpse cart)

TOTAL - 1997

Dark_Mage99
26-03-2008, 10:10
9 Power dice is not moderate magic, it's pretty powerful. I don't think the second vampire is too necessary in this list.. but it does have it's advantages. On the other side of things, you said you wanted wraiths... you could get a small unit for the cost of that vampire.

I like your core battleline: skeletons and grave guard make for a strong one. I think it is definitely better to have two units of flanking ghouls than to have one.

Good idea to remove the second corpse cart, I think. Two is always tempting, especially with Balefire... but they start to get expensive, and really as far as the bound spell is concerned, I presume you'll have it chugging along behind the grave guard and skeletons? If so, the second one wasn't needed because the bound spell only needs to reach these guys. Even if zombies go first, they don't do anything. Although the second could have helped with the ghouls, but all in all, one should be dandy.

Have you considered giving your Lord the Wristbands rather than the Crown? If he goes stupid, not only will the unit he's with stumble out of formation, but that's all your magic power gone for a turn and could cost you the game. Normally, I consider the risk worth the reward, but in this case he is a magic powerhouse, and if he goes, you have no magic phase. He would have his armour for protection should he get into combat, and the 3+ against ranged attacks is cheaper. You might not even need a ward save if he's going to be in a unit, though if you plan on launching him out of it it could be handy.

Timk1111
26-03-2008, 14:34
Thanks for the thoughts Dark Mage, and that's pretty much what I was thinking. The main reason for such a juiced up lord, was to accually save a few points in characters. He's pretty good at magic, not bad in combat, and hard to kill with armour and ward. This, spread over two characters, is more points, and both characters aren't quite as good at what they do, than the one combines (unless I just put MORE points into chars, but that's not what i want, really.)

Since I posted the first list, I have changed it a little, giving the Lord Dark Acolote over Forbiddon lore, so it's 10 power dice. Ill fix that up.

You're right about one thing - twin Corpse Carts is soooooo tempting, as well as 2 balefires (their main use here, a bit of magic defense. I might give 2 a go at this stage, since Ill have them in the Battalion boxes anyway (by the time you buy the spare zombies, skels and ghouls, the corpse cart is free :) )

At the very least, since Im buying this whole army all at once, shouldn't be a waste of cash, since that was my main concern.

The Talis of Lynci was just 10 spare points I had in the 1000 point version of this list, so Ive just kept it. It may or may not come in handy, at different stages of the game, but even if i dont use it every battle, it's not points Im freting over, not many points at all.