PDA

View Full Version : NORSCA, ARABY, CATHAY Will they ever have armies?

TreManor
25-03-2008, 14:24
Hello all I am new to the Warhammer setting. I played the old Playstation games back in their day, and loved them. I am currently reading the Gotrek and Felix first Omnibus by William King and I absolutely LOVE IT! I like the Warhammer world but I do not like much of what is currently availible as army choices. I am particularly interested in Arabian fantasy, CHinese / JApanese fantasy, and Norse fantasy and I was wondering if there might ever be armies based on these three mythoi.

Am I the only person interested in this or is there a running demand for it?

Neknoh
25-03-2008, 14:32
there is on Norse, it's the Chaos list, focus heavely on Marauders and do quite a bit of modelling and you should be fine.

For the other three, best advice would be Empire using Dogs of War to get what you want, Djinns and Oni could easely be Ogre mercenaries, whilst warrior monks of überness could ALSO be represented by Ogres (lone man on 40mm base, just point it out beforehand)

isidril93
25-03-2008, 14:45
there is an araby army in warmaster and for norse there are marauders and kislev

Gazak Blacktoof
25-03-2008, 14:55
There's a big demand from players for the eastern human armies, and to a lesser extent a norse one, GW are limited in what they can achieve though because of economic and logistical reasons.

Depending on where you play games (or are going to play games) you can make your own army lists instead of waiting for GW to do it.

You can get historical and fantasy models that can represent any vaguely human nation conceivable and certainly for those in the warhammer background that are based around actual nations on Earth. An empire or dogs of war army list is usually the best set of rules to use as a basis for a human army if you're going to use models to count-as other models.

If you can get an army together and have an accepting gaming group they might let you design an army list rather than using counts-as rules for ever, that's what I'll be doing with the human auxiliaries I'm adding to my tomb kings army.

TreManor
25-03-2008, 15:13
Well I am personally more interested in the market for this kind of thing. I am a professional sculptor, and I am about to launch my own line of figures. I want to do some kind of different stuff and was wondering if there was a market for it amoungst wargamers.... Specifically Warhammer gamers.

snyggejygge
25-03-2008, 15:20
Norse is indeed part of Chaos right now & have even had their own armylist a very long time ago (& back then they weren´t a popular army), so I doubt you´d sell many of those models, probably more people interested in using them as marauders or Kislev troops then.

Gazak Blacktoof
25-03-2008, 15:33
Well I am personally more interested in the market for this kind of thing. I am a professional sculptor, and I am about to launch my own line of figures. I want to do some kind of different stuff and was wondering if there was a market for it amoungst wargamers.... Specifically Warhammer gamers.

In that case realistic (not manga) eastern fantasy would be the best bet.

Bregalad
25-03-2008, 16:12
There are hundreds of Cathay and Araby threads, some with fan-made army books. Have a search.

Necromancer2
25-03-2008, 17:34
Norse is Chaos.

I hope they do a Araby army... it would be nice to see more Humies with elemental magic and fly carpets!!!

TreManor
25-03-2008, 18:09
There are hundreds of Cathay and Araby threads, some with fan-made army books. Have a search.

Will do, Thanks.

Norse is Chaos.

I guess I do not see it. I mean I think it represents the most vile aspects of Norse culture, but the Norse also had Honour and Nobility as well. Or mayeb I am just confused. Chaos just seems to be a bunch of bloodthirsty flesh wearers hell bent to kill anything that happens to cross their path. I guess I am looking for the more noble side of Norse Myth and culture, and I just do not see any in the Warhammer world.

hope they do a Araby army... it would be nice to see more Humies with elemental magic and fly carpets!!!

Yes that would be cool.:)

snyggejygge
25-03-2008, 18:32
I guess I do not see it. I mean I think it represents the most vile aspects of Norse culture, but the Norse also had Honour and Nobility as well. Or mayeb I am just confused. Chaos just seems to be a bunch of bloodthirsty flesh wearers hell bent to kill anything that happens to cross their path. I guess I am looking for the more noble side of Norse Myth and culture, and I just do not see any in the Warhammer world.

Well Norsemen in warhammer isn´t exactly Vikings, they´re just based on them, besides Khorne is as much about martial honour & pride as he is about mindless bloodshedding.

Feefait
25-03-2008, 18:35
Norse in our world may have been "honrable" but in Warhammer they are typically allied, or part of Chaos. But it is the portion that breeds the argument that Chaos isn't really evil becaus eit has norsemen or whatever. Now there is also a Norse settlemnt in Lustria which should have little to do with Chaos I believe.

Araby is one I've always wanted and there are indeed threads debating where they are or if we will ever see them. Even though it owuld be cool, GW needs to shore up what they've got first in my opinion. For the Araby army list... I tried to find some and only found the new armies thread. Which is cool in and of itself, but if anyone has found a thread with a list for the current world/rules that would be cool.

Cherrystone
25-03-2008, 18:57
Norsca has its own culture, society and myths but can be represented with Chaos maraurders though that wouldnt include all the unique types that would be present. 3rd edition and then 4th edition had a full armylist (in a citadel journal sometime in the early 1990s), GW produced many models back in the 80s.

Nippon also had its own list (3rd edition) and miniatures.

It shouldnt be too much of a problem updating these stat lines and rules to the current version (with the pts value being the only sticking point).

You could use these old lists to see what miniatures to produce.

Bregalad
25-03-2008, 20:32
Here is the fan-made Cathay Codex:

Okay, so I've finally finished talking with the devs and I have the go-ahead. Behold, warhammer armies: cathay. This isn't just a list. This is a book.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/17d6c704-fd8f-4c22-9a45-52c8946cf958/Warhammer-Armies:-Cathay.pdf

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out on this project, which has taken almost five years from first idea to completion. Especial thanks to the members of this forum who helped out- rabid bunny, malika, juddski, bubble ghost, balloon dog, anachristica, Taven and others who I no doubt forget but were just as helpful. ESPECIAL ESPECIAL thanks to juddski for his amazing work in illustrating most of the book.

I'd like to now point out that yes, this is a fantastical representation of the ENTIRE EAST. Not just cathay, this list was designed to create both nippon and steppe lists with minor variations, which forced the inclusion of some entries. I was also careful to include the ability to create more 'historical' lists. You can do it easily enough if you want, but for those who want the crazy ass stuff, it's there in force. Also remember that this is a representation of CATHAY, not china or japan. Cathay, culturally and thematically, is a melange of cultures as far apart as the middle east and korea, not just china, just like every other human army. The aim was to create a list that could satisfy both the history buffs and the anime fans at opposite ends of the spectrum, and in that end we have more or less succeeded, remember, if you don't like it, you don't have to take it...

I'd also like to point out that this list has undergone over a hundred playtest games against many armies over the years and is pretty darn balanced, fairer than many of the official lists IMHO. The advantage of online publication is we can get your feedback and update the list constantly, so please, tell me what you think on here, via PM, or via email at thereisnosaurus@gmail.com, hatemail included. I'd also be deeply greatful if you could inform me if you spot any inconsistencies caused by the new rules, as this will save me a year or so of re-proofreading.

I will be endeavouring to get this list a published spot on warseer where it is permanently available and continue to improve upon it as people play games. I have, as I said, been talking with the devs a bit on this, and I'm fairly sure there will be no official cathay for a while. However, given how impressed they were with this, I'd say it's a safe bet to say you won't find a better list for cathay for a long, long time.

TreManor
25-03-2008, 21:30
Thank you very much for that Bregalad

Mercules
25-03-2008, 21:35
Check out this "Cathay" list based around a Bretonnia Rules but with converted models to turn it into a Cathay army. It is very well done.

Grand Army of Cathay (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/bretonnians/painting/wd314_davetaylor/default.htm)

Lord Raneus
25-03-2008, 22:30
Given that there is a Warmaster army for Araby, I believe them to be the most likely candidates for a book; indeed, I want them to get one the most! :D

rodmillard
25-03-2008, 22:38
I am currently working on a converted araby army for the conflict doubles tournaments, using 1/2 counts as empire and 1/2 counts as DoW. I would LOVE to see a proper army list, but this is a long way down my wish list and is probably even further down GWs product plans (unfortunately). On the other hand, (not intending to start a flame war, or derail the thread into how much CD need a book more...) I can see Araby coming out before Chaos Dwarfs.

Personally, I would like an "other lands" book to cover the existing Dogs of War units as well as armies for Kislev, Cathay, Nippon, Norsca and Araby. There is no reason for the warhammer world to have 8 separate human books, but keeping the Empire and Brettonia as their own lists and then releasing the other 6 as one book (possibly a campaign supplement, akin to Storm Of Chaos) would do it...

Pokpoko
25-03-2008, 22:40
Chaos just seems to be a bunch of bloodthirsty flesh wearers hell bent to kill anything that happens to cross their path.add "thieving slave-owning bastards" and it fits the viking description just fine:p

Bregalad
25-03-2008, 23:19
Actually they were fine gentlemen, only with the bad habit of nailing monks to the door of their monasteries :p

Caboose123
26-03-2008, 00:12
Chaos just seems to be a bunch of bloodthirsty flesh wearers hell bent to kill anything that happens to cross their path.

Tempted to sig this :p

And is nailing monks to monastaries really a bad habit... oh.... i gotta go! :D

ThousandPlateaus
26-03-2008, 00:19
Actually they were fine gentlemen, only with the bad habit of nailing monks to the door of their monasteries :p

And what better use for a monk? :)

lilljonas
26-03-2008, 03:04
Norse used to be even more refined in the fluff than it is now, and further separated from Chaos. That's where the confusion stems from, I think. Especially for those who haven't looked at old Citadel Journals or the old RPG. This can still be seen in for example Blood Bowl, where they have a separate team with a very different look than the current Chaos Marauders in WHFB. They used to be more like vikings, exploring with their longships, raiding towns, trading and such. Their settlement in Lustria was pretty damn non-chaotic.

Badbones777
26-03-2008, 04:36
[QUOTE=
I guess I do not see it. I mean I think it represents the most vile aspects of Norse culture, but the Norse also had Honour and Nobility as well. Or mayeb I am just confused. Chaos just seems to be a bunch of bloodthirsty flesh wearers hell bent to kill anything that happens to cross their path. I guess I am looking for the more noble side of Norse Myth and culture, and I just do not see any in the Warhammer world.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more-one of the richest and most evocative, not to mention impactful (is that a word?...it is now!) sources of culture and myth (which to an extent is what feeds everything GW DO, i mean the whole Horus Heresy thing is more or less a biblically inspired story of betrayal by ones favourite!) not to mention the potential for great minis and obvious wargaming appeal, and nothing! Not a sausage!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing mate!

Admiral Samuel Eden
26-03-2008, 07:23
I'd love to see a Cathay army list.
Shame, I think GW are missing out on something big here.
It annoys me that theres such a huge gap in the warhammer world.

Brother Siccarius
26-03-2008, 07:45
Norse used to be even more refined in the fluff than it is now, and further separated from Chaos. That's where the confusion stems from, I think. Especially for those who haven't looked at old Citadel Journals or the old RPG. This can still be seen in for example Blood Bowl, where they have a separate team with a very different look than the current Chaos Marauders in WHFB. They used to be more like vikings, exploring with their longships, raiding towns, trading and such. Their settlement in Lustria was pretty damn non-chaotic.

Actually that's pretty much how they're depicted in some of the fluff from the current army book. I remember at least one passage in there where a Norse tribe is trading and talking with a group of empire traders, and they explain the plight of their kin who've turned into spawn, a perfectly normal and pleasent conversation. It'll really depend based on just how connected to chaos the tribe is. Heck there's even a part about a tribe calling on an ancestor, who's become a demon, in order to ask for it's blessing in battle, not unlike some pre-battle Norse rituals.

Though the closest thing you'll find to a unified non-chaos norse army is Kislev, which is based on Russia, though Russia was settled by the Norse to begin with.

Woden
28-04-2008, 16:43
Heres a fan based norse list I stumbled upon its for 6th ed but should work fine for the friendlies.

http://www.darkshadowgames.com/Downloads/Warhammer%20Armies%20-%20Norse.pdf

Hope that helps Ya, I loved the 3rd edition norse thing, and think it would be great to have a norse based army being the last vestiges of northern honour trying to defeat the chaos marauders in 7th ed

Andy