PDA

View Full Version : Multiwound weapons vs. Ogres

Thanous
25-03-2008, 16:14
If I am using the Flail of Skulls (Tomb Kings, each unsaved wound becomes two wounds) or any other weapon that causes more then one wound, what happens when I'm attacking rank and file ogre troops?

Do full wounds get rolled out and then distributed? Where is the reference to that?

Also, I went looking for it, but was unable to find it, where is the part in the BRB that states how multi-wound weapons effect single wound rank and file troops?

Thanous
25-03-2008, 16:23
FYI, found the multi-wound vs single wound model ref finally. I knew I had read it in there.

Now if someone can help with how to distribute wounds on ogres, I'll be set.

Atrahasis
25-03-2008, 16:30
Page 31 is pretty clear in this regard.

To try to paraphrase : Round the number of wounds caused by each hit down to the number of wounds on the multi-wound model's profile (in the case of ogres 3), then add them up. Remove enough whole models to satisfy the inflicted wounds, and note that a model has suffered the remainder.

So, say your TK hits and wounds 4 times with his Flail of skulls.
We round down the number of wounds inflicted by each hit to the number of wounds an ogre has (3). There is nothing to do here as each hit inflicts only 2 wounds.
Add up the number of wounds - 4x2=8.
Remove 2 whole models (6 wounds) and note that a third ogre has suffered 2 wounds.

Malorian
25-03-2008, 16:31
They just lose the wounds you do. So if you run in, hit twice and both wound, that's a total of 4 wounds, so 1 ogre is removed and another is down to two wounds.

Edit: Oh... ninja'd...

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
25-03-2008, 23:12
nope they take the amount of wounds you casued after multiplyiers it's why Konrad is so disgusting because he can inflict a potential 20 wounds on an ogre unit 6 dead ogres there then

Mercules
26-03-2008, 03:36
nope they take the amount of wounds you casued after multiplyiers it's why Konrad is so disgusting because he can inflict a potential 20 wounds on an ogre unit 6 dead ogres there then

Who are you noping?

Multiwound rank and file would be done the following way:

If the multiwound damage does more than the rank and file model's wounds then you round damage down to that model's full wounds. You then add up all the wounds done and remove as many models as possible and mark any model who has taken partial wounds.

Example Ogres hit by D6 wounds item:

3 Ogres and 2 wounds each doing 2 wounds total = 4 wounds, one dead Ogre and one wounded by 1

3 Ogres and 2 wounds each doing 6 wounds total = 6 wounds, two dead Ogres and a living one, not 12 wounds and 3 dead Ogres.

Necronartum
26-03-2008, 04:01
I'm confused somewhat.

I get the rounding down part if the weapon causes 4 wounds per hit on a unit of wound 3 models.

Example: Three wounds of a unit of ogres removes not 12 wounds, but 3 ogre models (only 9 instead).

However, your second example in the above post seems to contradict your first post on the topic. In your first post, using the Flail of Skulls example, you said that a TK causing four wounds would cause eight in total. Later, when referring to Konrad, you mentioned that six wounds using essentially exactly the same rules for a weapon would only cause six wounds, despite you not having to round down.

Can you see what I'm getting at? Or am I just confused myself. I'm still new to all of this, so my intention is not to argue against you, I will be playing against Ogres myself soon, so wish to fully understand the rule.

Ninsaneja
26-03-2008, 04:39
They mistakenly used the word "wounds" for hits several times.

Here:

2 unsaved hits with a 2-wound-per-hit attack will kill one ogre but still carry a wound over.
2 unsaved hits with a 4-wound-per-hit attack will kill two ogres and carry over no wounds.

xragg
26-03-2008, 05:14
Another way to state this, which is easier to understand in my opinion is:

Your multiwound weapon is capped by the number of wounds the opposing model has on its profile.

Example:
You attack Ogres who have 3 wounds with a d6 wounds weapon. No matter what you roll on that d6, the highest value is 3. Or... a roll of 1 is 1 wound, 2 is 2 wounds, and 3-4-5-6 are all 3 wounds.

If you attacked something with 4 wounds with the same weapon, 1 is 1w, 2 is 2w, 3 is 3w, 4-5-6 are all 4wounds.

Simply put, when you roll a d6 wound weapon against a 3 wound model, you treat all 4's, 5's, and 6's as a result of 3.

Necronartum
26-03-2008, 05:29
When I read the guys paraphrased rules, I thought that was the case. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Mercules
26-03-2008, 13:20
They mistakenly used the word "wounds" for hits several times.

Here:

2 unsaved hits with a 2-wound-per-hit attack will kill one ogre but still carry a wound over.
2 unsaved hits with a 4-wound-per-hit attack will kill two ogres and carry over no wounds.

No I didn't... I was very intentionally talking about Weapons like the Tenderizer, Hellfire Sword, Rending Sword, Sword of Heroes, Rune of Smiting, Fellblade, Weeping Blade, and such where when wounded a model takes D6 or D3 wounds. You have to hit, then wound, they have to not save, and then you turn that wound into multiples as those are the most confusing ones to deal with.

isidril93
27-03-2008, 15:31
you can only kill one model with multi wound weapons...the rest goes to combat res as overkill

EvC
27-03-2008, 15:54
only one model per attack at most, you mean. And you can only get overkill in a challenge, either way.

Mercules
27-03-2008, 15:56
you can only kill one model with multi wound weapons...the rest goes to combat res as overkill

Only in a Challenge, otherwise the extra damage is just... wasted. :)