PDA

View Full Version : Martialle Vampire List any good?

Overt_Spy
25-03-2008, 17:47
Hi, I recently got the new VC book, since I tend to buy most of the Army Books, since I enjoy the fluff and artwork (not too bad to have for reference if you think someone might be playing you for a fool in a game. ;) )

Anyways, after reading through it, I really liked the idea of aggressive warrior vampire's that are described in the book, not surprisingly, I really liked Konrad Von Carstein best of the three Von C's.

I am considering doing VC in the future (once I finish painting all my elveses), and you guessed it, I'd want to run an aggressive hit first ask questions later type army (since my Dwarfs play on defense, and my HE are middle road, can stay back but also bring it forward.) I want to know though can VC work as an aggressive type army? I'm not too familiar with undead, and I know magic is a big deal with them, so I'm not sure if it may be a bad idea to rely on actual fighty units.

At the center of my desire for a martialle vampire horde, would be the delicious new Blood Knights. I love the guys, surely the looks, but they seem like they're one of those cavalry units that are going to make an opponent take a gulp when they get placed during deployment.

I don't have my book with me right now, but I was toying around with a 2,000 - 2,500 point list, which would include a Vamp lord with martialle vampiric powers (blood rage seems fun), and another vamp for undead dealings possibly a necromancer too, skellies (I like the models more than zombies or ghouls) some grave guard, and of course Blood Knights.

I was toying with the idea of 2, TWO units of Blood Knights, 9 total in 2,000 - 2,500 point ranges. 4 + a mounted vamp, and 5 by themselves. I know they'd be a huge proportion of points, (the blood knights alone, with no upgrades or command are 495 points.) But I figure they could do their job, they'd certainly face the brunt of all the opponents fire, allowing my other units to advance quite un-harassed, but also since they're vampires they'd be a boon to the undead units around them. Plus I could flank them with something (zombies, or bat swarms??) giving them a little edge in surviving.
I dunno, personally I just want to see the look on my opponents face when they see two units of Blood Knights on the field.

So, how does the idea sound? Will my blood knight idea work, or will they most likely be shot and magic'd to oblivion before they can do good? On a larger scale (ignoring my desire for 9 BK's) can vampire's be run as an aggressive army successfully, or is it a challenging proposition that might not work so well? More importantly, is it cheesy? I don't actual mind running an unsuccessful list, since I like the theme so much, but if it's cheesy, that's something different completely. Thanks

Karhedron
25-03-2008, 18:11
Blood Knights are expensive, for the cost of a unit you can probably get 2 units of Black Knights who will do well against most opponents.

Having said that there are ways to get the most out of your investment. They will be the number 1 target for any ranged weaponry your opponent has so protecting them will be vital. Screening them with Dire Wolves (or maybe ethereal troops) is a good start. One of the protective banners (4+ ward vs missiles or even Regeneration) could be good but will bump the cost up even more.

Buying a Vamp with the Blood Drinker to lead them is a good idea. This works like IoN but cannot be dispelled and makes a very effective way to replenish the unit although it does add another 165+ points to the cost of the unit.