PDA

View Full Version : Lustria

Feefait
25-03-2008, 19:21
Has anyone played a game in Lustria? Got an in store even I'm aprticipating in this week end and never actually played in Lustria. I'm playing LM and have some skinks, saurus with the spawning to ignore diff terrain, salamanders and terradons.

Just curious about the terrain effects and encounter tables. How they typically affect battles and what not. Thanks!

Crispian25
25-03-2008, 20:20
Lustria can be very interesting. We played a couple campaigns with it the summer it came out, and had a lot of fun with it. The encounters and events can really be nasty, especially for everyone but Lizardmen, with their immunity to some things. In one game, I managed to roll quicksand (pass an armor save and sink) for a unit of 9 knights, and they all sank. We also used some of the alternate rules from White Dwarf (getting monkeys to throw...ewww at you is no fun). Terrain can be a pain, so make sure you have musicians to go into and out of 'loose order' for anything that suffers difficult terrain. I would recommend against fliers, since there are a couple rules which really hurt them (losing distance, having to walk on occasion). Also, shooting can be a pain with all the soft cover bonuses.

Feefait
26-03-2008, 13:25
Terradons should be down to a 10" move. Stil not terrible. I just don't have anythign else to fill it with except maybe Kroxigor. I could do more Saurus I suppose. But my thought is 3 terradons vs. mostly skirmishers should be pretty good. Assuming they don't get shot to death. I just won't have enough painted skinks. And I don't want to go all skink anyway.

N810
26-03-2008, 13:55
Actualy Kroxigor are quite good as they get to charge through skinks...
and have st 7 on the charge.

Avian
26-03-2008, 16:02
We played a map campaign in Lustria and found that we had to heavily modify the jungle fighting rules, because they could have an insane effect in the wrong circumstances.

Take the "pass armour save and die" encounter for a unit of infantry - you aren't going to get away from it any time soon because you are so slow, so even quite basic infantry get so chewed up it's not funny.

Or the "pass leadership test or lose D6 models" encounter for a small unit of expensive models (or even a single expensive model). Hideous.

The list goes on. If you want to have a reasonably balanced game, most stuff had to be fixed.

Link: The Lustria - Jungle Hell Campaign (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/downloads.php?f=campaign_lustria)

guillaume
26-03-2008, 16:44
I love the lustria book.

Easily the best campaign system ever written by GW and some good scenarios.

Obviously, the rules make for a very specific style of play. Indeed the rules need to be tweaked to be more easily played by everyone.

The campaign we had back then we used the following changes:

1- the table was only covererd with 1/3 of terrain, not half or 2/3 as they suggest. We used 8 "regular" shaped forest (10x8 inches).

2- each players had D3+1 encounters, not D6 or the insane number the book suggest. Encounters add flavor to the game, they shouldnt overpower it. D6+2 I think it was, meant that you had more chance of killing units in the encounter turn than in your combat turn.

3- lizzies were not immune to the encounters. That sucked for me, but we felt it was fairer that way.

That's it. Basically by toning down the jungle to a more fun addition rather than a really deadly "third gamer" we managed to have a lot of fun.

But certainly, use the campaign system, use the loose formation (so awesome should be a regular warhammer feature), the encounters turn, and the experience system for your units and characters.

Feefait
27-03-2008, 20:30
Well it is at a store and they are running it straight from the book i think. This way everyone has an idea coming in what to expect i guess. I've decided ot go with Krox over Terradons. Mainly because my terradons are not painted and I have only 3. I am going to bulk up my saurus and bring 1 unit of krox. with the amount of skirmishers we will be facing they should be deadly. The amount of terrain should give them some shooting defense too.