PDA

View Full Version : HE Null Stone

ScytheSwathe
26-03-2008, 00:05
Just a quick one, whats you guys take on the null stone. On paper looks to be an interesting piece of kit, especially vs vamps. I particularly like the idea of negating all magic items, then being able to strike first with a great weapon. But at 100pts and requiring a lord just to hold it, is it worth it. Has anyone out there even tried it?

Dranthar
26-03-2008, 00:33
I think even with an High elf Lord armed with a great weapon, you're going to have trouble beating a Vampire Lord without magic items - the T5 alone is a killer, not to forget the 4 S5 attacks coming back at you.

Alathir
26-03-2008, 01:38
Best idea is to give it to a lord on a dragon and give him a lance, thats what I've found.

WhiteKnight
26-03-2008, 04:02
Alathir is right. But instead of a dragon, get a griffon. They are good, and they look awesome, but that's just my opinion. Dragons are still effective as a star dragon. Str 7, WS 7, and a bunch of wounds.

ScytheSwathe
26-03-2008, 10:50
Yeah dragon sounds like a good way to use it, im still not sure though. And a griffon really? I like the idea too, but the model is old, and for 30pts more and the loss of 1I, you get 5+ scaly skin, +1T, +1W, breath fire and a phunky new model.
And anyway back to the item, Im still thinking that gets expensive quick for a one trick pony, and basically stops you getting any real armour save because you cant take magic defence. Which is a shame, because it quite a neat item.

Lucky24/7
26-03-2008, 10:54
It would be takeable around the 70-75 point mark as it could allow for some form of armour. but due to the fact its 100 points I belive makes over uncompetative in a tourney. But could be fun in a freindly game

neo_ebrick
26-03-2008, 17:43
i disagree on a dragon you can choose where you go stay out arrow fire. almost every hero/lord has magic something. if you choose your battles you can make up 100 points very easy by killing one tooled out hero. a lord tooled out should be no problem against a star dragon(without magic armour/weapon) on the turn you charge you get the points.

tom1354788
26-03-2008, 22:56
the lord dragon and nullstone combo is almost the ultimate character hunter, i mean against this even Archorn is pretty much totally dead in one turn! In fact i cant really think of any character that can deal with this!!

But outside of the this use (character hunting) its not the best combo in my opinion for a balanced army.

eleveninches
27-03-2008, 12:04
Doesnt really matter very nuch that its too expensive to give him some more magic items. The null stone would not let them work anyway, as it nullfies ALL other magic items within 6"

the12thronin
27-03-2008, 13:33
The main advantage I see to it is taking out specials and tricked out combos. I've played some with a Star Dragon prince with one armed with lance and it absolutely has to get and stay in combat or the prince is dead with his 4+ save. But it is absolutely killer to any character he's hunting. 4 attacks at str 6 and 6 at str 7 are nothing to be sneered at. Even a vamp would have concerns against it.

Granted it's almost 700 points so it should be pretty nasty.

isidril93
27-03-2008, 15:17
i think that the null stone is almost useless

unless you are on a star dragon your lord will be terrible

and a fully equipped lord on star dragon is better than one with the stone

remember HE are the race that rely on magic items the most to protect their lord

neo_ebrick
27-03-2008, 17:21
i've been looking and i agree give him and enchanted shield and vam braces, 65 points for a 3+ rerollable AS with a 4+ ward save, Awsome saves and 35 points for more magic items.

The Clairvoyant
27-03-2008, 17:38
the lord dragon and nullstone combo is almost the ultimate character hunter, i mean against this even Archorn is pretty much totally dead in one turn! In fact i cant really think of any character that can deal with this!!

But outside of the this use (character hunting) its not the best combo in my opinion for a balanced army.

I'm sure all of the VC players will agree with me when i say "ethereal vampire with walking death and GW".

+1 CR so your outnumber is nullified, 4 attacks at S7. You have no magic attacks to hurt him with.

And half the price of your dragon and lord.

Of course, this is all theoretical. I haven't played against HE since they got a new book so i have no idea what else to expect in the army

the12thronin
28-03-2008, 18:15
Why would you send a guy with no magic attacks to hunt this guy? It's not like the elves are wanting for magic and magical attacks (if you take the amulet of light).

Darktheos
28-03-2008, 18:52
I'm sure all of the VC players will agree with me when i say "ethereal vampire with walking death and GW".

+1 CR so your outnumber is nullified, 4 attacks at S7. You have no magic attacks to hurt him with.

And half the price of your dragon and lord.

Of course, this is all theoretical. I haven't played against HE since they got a new book so i have no idea what else to expect in the army

Agreed I mean if that item negates all magic items in 6" the you are atleast going to keep them tied up in combat if you do no wound since they outnumber but you have a +1 CR.