PDA

View Full Version : A newby question

spartan116
26-03-2008, 03:37
Okay this last weekend me and a couple buddy played a few unit based battles. And a question came up that no one could answer with 100% sureness. It says that skeletons are armed with a hand weapon, light armor, and a shield. Now this combination gives them a 4+ save. Now the question is if i buy spears for the unit do they still get the 4+ save (for HW, LA, and shield) and are allowed to attack with the spear in CC?

siphon101
26-03-2008, 03:44
Okay this last weekend me and a couple buddy played a few unit based battles. And a question came up that no one could answer with 100% sureness. It says that skeletons are armed with a hand weapon, light armor, and a shield. Now this combination gives them a 4+ save. Now the question is if i buy spears for the unit do they still get the 4+ save (for HW, LA, and shield) and are allowed to attack with the spear in CC?

I need to make a clarification. light armor, hand weapon, and a shield gives you a 4+ save from melee attacks to your front, only. It is 5+ from flank/rear charges, range attacks, and anything like that.

Melee attacks from the front only give the save bonus when handweapon/shields.

Now, how it works for spears is this. When that unit with spears engages in close combat you choose how they will fight. You may have them fight with handweapon/shield OR spears/shield. However that choice lasts until that combat ends.

In other words, if your skeletons get into a fight, you can decide whether to use hand weapons or spears, but you are stuck with that choice until the skeletons are done fighting. Once they get into combat again, you may choose again.

And when you make that choice remember, you ONLY get the extra benefit if being attacked from the front.

Mercules
26-03-2008, 03:45
Here is what happens. They can decide which weapon/combo they wish to use at the start of the combat. They are stuck with whatever they decide through the whole combat though, meaning that if neither side breaks or is wiped out, they will have to use that same weapon/combo next turn.

If you decide to use the HW, LghtA, and Shield then their save is 5+ and 4+ against CC attacks from the front, notice, only the front. If you decide to go for Spears they they have an AS of 5+ and the second rank can attack. Remember some items replace others and thus cost no points while some can just be added in. I believe they just add on to the choices with Skeletons so you could pick whichever seemed best for that combat.

spartan116
26-03-2008, 03:59
I see. Thanks for the clarification.