PDA

View Full Version : Black Knights and Hellsteeds

TheDudeGuyMan
26-03-2008, 10:23
Ok, so I really want a vampire to join my black knights, but I don't want my black knights to lose their invaluable ethereal movement. So what if I have a vampire mounted on a hellsteed join the unit? He's not ethereal, but he can fly over any terrain they encounter, and the knights could use their ethereal movement to phase through it. Thoughts?

Oberon
26-03-2008, 10:26
The only problem: a character mounted on flying mount may not join units :) And by the rules BK lose their etherealness if non-skeletal steeded character joins them.

EvC
26-03-2008, 10:31
Well a model on a flying mount can't join units, so that can't work. Plus the Black Knights lose their ethereal movement when any Vampire joins the unit, so it wouldn't work even if a Hellsteed Vampire could join the unit...

Spirit
26-03-2008, 14:53
Just put a wight lord in the unit?

Problem solved. Vampires have many many other places they can go (like scouting, for example!)

theunwantedbeing
26-03-2008, 14:55
Vampires cant take the same sort of steeds as black knights have, so you need to put a wight lord in the unit, or not at all.

Wolfblade670
27-03-2008, 03:26
Besides I can just imagine a unit of etheral Black Knights with a with their vampire master riding through a wall, with the spectral horsemen and their master's steed passing through leaving the Vamp plastered on said wall. :D

T10
27-03-2008, 07:40
Ok, so I really want a vampire to join my black knights, but I don't want my black knights to lose their invaluable ethereal movement. (...) Thoughts?

In this case you cannot both have your cake and eat it too.

-T10

GodHead
27-03-2008, 16:50
Damn vampire book for being so inflexible and not letting people make the list they want!

They're all a bunch of fascists at GW I tell you! FASCISTS!

Lordmonkey
27-03-2008, 18:27
I guess a Wight Lord would probably be a better all-round choice to lead Black Knights anyway. Same number of attacks, but can benefit from Banner of the Barrows, to hit on 3's, or even 2's if your charging ws3 or less. Plus he gets killing blow ^^ :D

Having said that, it does suck that vampires can't have ethereal steeds. I don't see how it could ever be abused.

Lord Inquisitor
27-03-2008, 18:41
Wight Lords aren't mages though. Nice to have a character totting around with the knights that can heal them up. But it is one reason why you would ever take a Wight King over a Vampire

Here's a related question:

If I stick a Vampire on a Nightmare in a unit of Knights and stick him right at the edge of the unit... can the unit still travel through terrain as long as the Vampire doesn't actually go through the difficult terrain himself? It would allow the unit to still hide behind terrain as long as the vamp is poking out the side...

Oberon
27-03-2008, 18:42
No, the whole unit loses their etherealness if joined anyone without skeletal steed. It does not matter whether the character would need etherealness while moving with them or not.

Darktheos
27-03-2008, 19:18
Do They lose it if you make the Vampire ethereal?

Oberon
27-03-2008, 19:53
Ethereal vampire may not join Black knights, as they are not ethereal. they just move like they were... This is a rule without holes :P

Pac
27-03-2008, 21:06
And even if the vampire could join the blacknights the steed has to be etereal.
If he has no steed the you can move only 20 cms...

But you can't :D

Xavier
27-03-2008, 21:36
They're all a bunch of fascists at GW I tell you! FASCISTS!

Sig worthy. :)

The Clairvoyant
28-03-2008, 12:33
Well, apart from the rules stating that you need to have a skeleton steed in order for the black knights to keep their ethereal movement, a vampire cannot have a skeleton steed, an ethereal vampire cannot join the knights because the unit only has ethereal movement rather than true etherealness, an ethereal vampire cannot ride a mount at all anyway, a hellsteed cannot join knights because its a flyer and even if it could fly over woods while the knights went through it, a character cannot leave and join a unit in the same move.

But apart from that, why can't i have my ethereal black knights led by a vampire?

EvC
28-03-2008, 12:59
You can. You'll just be sacrificing one of their great abilities if you do so (and possibly losing out on 1" of movement if the vamp has a barded steed).