PDA

View Full Version : wight kings (over looked)

tribal
26-03-2008, 15:13
so i was just wonderin why i dont see many wight kings in vc army lists when there so good just want peoples opinons and different combos
my personal fav is a wight king with great weapon and the accursed armour and the cursed book but the main component comes from the vamp with helm behind him lending him his ws
so stats ws 6 s 6 t 6
theres not alot going to stand up to that for just 130pts
let me know what you think

Lord Dan
26-03-2008, 15:19
The only problem with the helm of commandment is if your vampire makes his way into combat. Then you're stuck with a WS1 Wight King. I personally just make him a BSB, but I love my 3 wound, T5 hero. :)

Firebreather
26-03-2008, 15:23
I'm no VC player, but I see the Wight Lord as an excellent choice, although certainly not a no-brainer. Which is a good thing, if not a great thing. He's tough as nails, killy, and dependable. Very nice.

Now if only my Skaven could find a way to enslave one of them, and use him as a BSB....

FigureFour
26-03-2008, 17:49
The only problem with the helm of commandment is if your vampire makes his way into combat. Then you're stuck with a WS1 Wight King.

Ummm . . . Why would he be WS1?

Spirit
26-03-2008, 18:01
Ummm . . . Why would he be WS1?

The accursed armour gives you -3 ws, -3 init and +1 toughness.

And on wight lords, i love them, in 2k, i always have one in my knights, he just makes such an impact.

But i give him the hand of dust. He is still better than almost all heros in combat, can go toe to toe with lords anyway, and no one expects a killy hero like that to have a 2d6 S5 bound spell, so they don't save dice for it!

SilverWarlock
26-03-2008, 19:03
I'm no VC player, but I see the Wight Lord as an excellent choice, although certainly not a no-brainer. Which is a good thing, if not a great thing. He's tough as nails, killy, and dependable. Very nice.

Now if only my Skaven could find a way to enslave one of them, and use him as a BSB....

I prefer my skaven BSB in the back rank of the unit than any other BSB who has to stay up front.

For the Wight king with accursed armor, isnt there still a banner of the barrows type item (banner where all wights hit on 3+ regardless of WS) because that would be more reliable than the helm.

untimention
26-03-2008, 19:13
It is a fantastic choice and was mentioned in March UK WD.

Vampires do have magic on there side and so for smaller games this can be critical against some armies.... whereas yes in larger games 1500pts wight lords are fantastic, cheap and a troop chopper

W0lf
26-03-2008, 19:45
Power dice are very much needed.

I love the wight king and always encourage him yet never seem to include one in my lists.

Its invaluable to have the casting heros and if i want a hero with no magic im sorry but Konrad just wins out.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
26-03-2008, 19:50
Most threads I read have nothing but praise for the Wight King. I think it is possibly the best Hero, point for point, in the game.

I have 1 in my list and have considered as second. T5 W3 and KB for 75pts is just sick.

Karhedron
26-03-2008, 22:38
In any other army the WK would be a steal. However the fact that he is not a caster can be a crucial factor since VCs rely on the magic phase to power them. An extra vamp provides an extra PD, an extra caster and the ability for all untis within 6" to march. In most cases this will tip the scales in favour of the vamp unless you are very strapped for points.

tom1354788
26-03-2008, 22:42
Long reply: apologies!!

I think there are basically two set ups for the Wight lord, there are others such as the ones you mention but I think these are by far the best:

1. BSB with the sword of kings in some black knights.

Just amazingly killy, you can add another magic item such as the cursed book as well if you wish, and this guy can take down most armyís lords.

The downside is that as you are taking a magic item you cant take a magic banner, this means for your unit of Black knights you are torn between only being able to take the Banner of the dead legion (for the out numbering auto break) or the one that allows you to march as if there was a vamp nearby.

Solution: Take the banner of the dead legion then vanhels them into combat. (But you must have a vamp or necro nearby)

2. BSB (mounted) with the drackonhof banner in a unit of infantry (probably grave guard). Normally I hate giving expensive banners to BSB's as usually there easy to kill for easy VP's. But with toughness 5, 2+ AS, and Regeneration with 3 wounds this guy is going to stick round, and the unit he is with as well.

Downside: With this option, (well its amazing!!) but it is very expensive for a "cheap" character, also its very very tempting to shove your lord in that unit as well to receive the regeneration effect as well, this can make the unit extremely expensive and really turn it into an "all your eggs in one basket" type thing. Something im not a fan of.

Solution: either donít put another character in the unit, or in a minimum size unit of skeletons(to keep the costs down) only put a very magic heavy vamp lord in there, (as a uber killy one is probably overkill) then ION your unit size up.

I think your Wight king has to be a BSB to be able to justify his inclusion in a game of 2000 to 2250 points. Not because heís not great, he is! I agree with the other poster that he's one of the best hero characters in the game.

The problem is that vampires are just so important and expensive with Vampire Counts now, and there are other things you MUST have. Such as the lord, and a second vampire / Necro for magic support. So if you include a Wight king as well then you are going to be spending an awful lot on characters, and I think I can only justify that if he's a BSB, and even then its a tough call over another vamp or necro.

Thatís just my 2 cents, I may be wrong! I probably havenít played enough games with the new rulebook to pass myself off as an expert on Wight kings but I do find them difficult to include in normal size games.

Sadly in saying that I only like them as BSB's, in my army I have a Vamp as a BSB, as I just love this combo. Plus I have converted a great mini to represent this from the Konrad model:

Vamp, Infinite Hatred, Walking Death, Tomb blade and Flayed Hauberk in a unit of skeletons.

Goldenwolf
27-03-2008, 07:16
The Wight king is good as he can also ride with the Black Knights, and with the Obligatory Sword of Kings has killing blow on 5+

Karhedron
27-03-2008, 09:14
The Wight king is good as he can also ride with the Black Knights, and with the Obligatory Sword of Kings has killing blow on 5+
If you take this option though you are not benefitting from the cheap +2S on the charge provided by the lance. I would probably save SoK for a WK on foot.

dzungia
27-03-2008, 10:06
For the wight king I take Sword of the Kings for 5+ killing blow and Nightshroud, in order to avoid dying before hitting :) And I do not use BSB.

Zethal
27-03-2008, 12:13
I think it is possibly the best Hero, point for point, in the game.

I have 1 in my list and have considered as second. T5 W3 and KB for 75pts is just sick.
Him or the Tomb Prince, with the same stats and my will be done for 100pts.

But in the VC army it is hard to resist taking the magic power of the Vampire.
That and I prefer S5 T4 to S4 T5, but the extra wound is awesome.

tribal
27-03-2008, 12:23
so there we go it appears everyone likes the wight king which they should but im having the same problem as everyone else 2000pt game he just dont fit i need the magic as its just so important
yeah he could take down a vamp count and cost half the pts but he aint no wizard so conclusion GW should make him a level 1 wizard lol lahlah lalaha in my dreams
so im trying an army with an uber magic lord and 4 wight kings all with bound items n guna c how that wks

Spirit
27-03-2008, 17:02
I prefer my skaven BSB in the back rank of the unit than any other BSB who has to stay up front.

For the Wight king with accursed armor, isnt there still a banner of the barrows type item (banner where all wights hit on 3+ regardless of WS) because that would be more reliable than the helm.

There is still a banner of the barrows. But its now +1 to hit, not "hit o 3+"

Which is good, because combine it with the helm of command and your looking at 2+ to hit!!

noneshallpass!
27-03-2008, 21:24
Didn't notice the t5 at fisrt, but it's very nice!

I would like one as a BSB with the 2x US banner, maybe with 6 BK with war banner, but I also wan't three vampires for some magic... And I don't want 1k in characters, so there will be three of them only I think.

But on the other hand I'm not shure about where to put the vampires either. I usualy have them with a block of skeletons, and now I would have to have 3 of them.

There seems to be some options in the new list, and thats good I guess.

tehhelios
27-03-2008, 22:18
I didnt need more than 7 magic dices in last edition VC and I dont see anything that changes that with the current list, the large amount of magic is not something you have to have really, its just FOTM on this board.

With the right stuff in your list its an awsome character for the points,

EldarBishop
27-03-2008, 23:19
I use my WK w/SoK and Enchanted Shield for a nice 1+ save to lead my Black Knights. Granted he loses the +2Str from not having a lance. However, I have found that if the combat goes more then one round (which it does more often then I'd like it too), the SoK helps greatly and you will be glad that you have one instead of a lance.

Lordmonkey
28-03-2008, 03:59
In the last game I played, the battle was going terribly. I was faced with a tree spirits army, which including Drycha, so i've got Treemen deepstriking all over the bloody place. As a last ditch effort to get a draw, my Wight King armed with the Sword of Kings charged solo, out of his unit and past the blocking treeman, to face her. If I could roll a 5+ to wound, his sword would both negate her aura save and slay her outright.

I rolled 2 hits...

I rolled to wound...

A 1 and a 2.

*^&%!!!

I was unlucky, but it could (should) have been different. The Wight King is capable of slaying most enemy lords in single combat, and it is for this reason that players will keep their generals away from him. Use this to your advantage. Put him with your skeletons and that unit will only end up against basic troops with no character support. Either that, or they lose a hero :D

soots
28-03-2008, 06:14
Agree with most people, hes great, but the vampire is better

Goldenwolf
28-03-2008, 07:18
Vampires are better statwise, but cause Black Knights to lose their ethereal mount status. As mentioned earlier, when armed with Sword of Kings, most people flee from him with characters, so you can cause some havoc when you swing around the flank :)

Kar, you do lose the +2S you'd have with a lance, but when people see that Wight King swing towards their 300+ point character, they run like the wind