PDA

View Full Version : Need advices against BoS as VC

him_15
26-03-2008, 19:00
Hi, got a 2k game against Beast of Chaos tmr.
As far as I know, his list is pure beast and based on heavy tzeentch magic, with two units of Minotaur (4 each), three beast chariots, one small bestigor unit, furies and screamer, etc. All of his characters (about 3) are joined in a bunch of Gors an Ungors.
He usually hides his characters along with Gors in wood or anywhere far from enemy, and keeps casting nasty tzeentch magic with more than 10 powers dice. meanwhile, his mobile forces advance slowly to make sure they charge the foes.
My VC is leaded by Count Mannfred, with a Scout vampire and a wight king BSB, other troops include a block of skeleton, zombie, ghoul and grave guard, a unit of dire wolves, corpse cart and Valghulf.
Any useful advices of how to take him down?:)

DarkStarr
27-03-2008, 06:31
Beat him at his own game, manfred is a good choice since he comes w 6 power dice but I think you might want to bring more magic. Vamp magic is good, sounds like your in no big threat early on so you can boost your units up and start nuking him with curse of years, put that spell on his nastest unit and watch them die, but you might want to wait to be pretty sure hes out of dispell scrolls if he brings any at all, if he doesnt your in buisness. there will be no way hell get the charge on you if you use neh, a good choice might be,, manfred, lvl2 vamp, lvl2vamp, and a necro in your corps cart, if you have 3 power stones I think thats around 20 power dice and once manfred gets in close combat with the gg you wont need those power stones since hell start generating more dice so burn your power stones early on and hit him with everything then when you get your army of undead madness on him hes done for. this is more of a defensive strategy early on, so you can get your wolves in position to charge his flanks, you might be able to summon some zombies in front of his chariots and place some wolves nearby with a vamp with lycni for a nice counter charge to take them out, and you can alway nuke them with magic, or hit them with a black coach and fight fire with fire. Your grave guard should be able to take out the minitaurs expecially if your corps cart is near by to give them the always strikes first rule so let him charge you, and if hes to chicken to charge you with them use neh to charge them.

Goldenwolf
27-03-2008, 07:24
Curse of years is good, but he'll dispel it easily enough.

You'll have 6+ dispel dice I am guessing, so give Mannfred the Skull Staff, so +1 Dispel, and take 2 scrolls.

His units that don't go in the woods should die, and if you're close enough cast Raise Dead, and set up a Zombie screen. When you prepare to attack the Big herd, raise a unit of Zombies on the opposite side of your real attacking unit, and Vanhel's them into the herd, then Vanhel's your real unit into them. He will form up faciing the Zombies, and then you can smash into the Rear of his unit with the GG/BK. You get CR +1 Standard, +1 BSB, +3 Ranks +1 Outnumber, +2 Rear, so you start at +8 CR, +6 if you're outnumbered. If he kills 6-8 Zombies and you get no kills you tie, but if you get any kills..... Remember if you are planning on Zapping this unit do it before you Vanhels, and expect him to dispel those like crazy.

I admit the Super Herd strategy is effective, but only if you have another herd or the characters to move to is it at the maximum efficiency.

Dranthar
27-03-2008, 10:52
If a Vargulf charges/is charged by a beast herd, the beast herd needs to set up 4 models wide (since the vargulf is too narrow to allow more). That means no rank bonus, meaning you'll need only 3 kills (1 for their outnumber, 1 for the standard, and 1 for the musician) to beat them in combat, which is you should manage on average against toughness 4 beastmen.

Come to think of it, a lone Vampire with walking death and enough gear to cause 2 kills could do the same...

Adolphus
27-03-2008, 19:52
Not to mention that the vargulf also causes terror too. fear/ terror will also be a great advantage when facing boc, because the majority of his army has average ld, and with the number of tests he'll have to take hes bound to fail a few. I just used black knights in a game this past weekend and the performed amazingly, the look on your opponents face when you charge through terrain unaffected is priceless.

Spirit
27-03-2008, 21:26
Hi, got a 2k game against Beast of Chaos tmr.
As far as I know, his list is pure beast and based on heavy tzeentch magic, with two units of Minotaur (4 each), three beast chariots, one small bestigor unit, furies and screamer, etc. All of his characters (about 3) are joined in a bunch of Gors an Ungors.
He usually hides his characters along with Gors in wood or anywhere far from enemy, and keeps casting nasty tzeentch magic with more than 10 powers dice. meanwhile, his mobile forces advance slowly to make sure they charge the foes.
My VC is leaded by Count Mannfred, with a Scout vampire and a wight king BSB, other troops include a block of skeleton, zombie, ghoul and grave guard, a unit of dire wolves, corpse cart and Valghulf.
Any useful advices of how to take him down?:)

Take konrad, problem solved, he will kill so much (probably a unit of minotaur every turn he is in combat with them)

DarkStarr
27-03-2008, 22:02
Curse of years is good, but he'll dispel it easily enough.

Not if you wait till later in the magic phase when hes out of dispell dice and used his scrolls on other things.

Goldenwolf
27-03-2008, 23:23
You'll have 10 PD, he'll have 6-7 DD, plus scrolls. You won't dominate the magic phase against HE or Tzeentch, and you'll want your Vanhels to go off more than curse. NEVER expect any magic to go off, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when it does.