PDA

View Full Version : Both models have reroll ability

Xirathnix
26-03-2008, 19:17
My VC has the infinite hatred my opponent has a chaos lord with armor that rerolls all hits. What order do these go in.

I strike reroll all misses then all hits or

I strike reroll all hits then misses or

Active player decides or

roll a die to see.

theunwantedbeing
26-03-2008, 19:20
You cannot re-roll a re-roll.
Page xiii

So infinite hatred allows you to re-roll missed attacks
The armour of damnation makes you re-roll hits

So you roll to hit.
All the hits are re-rolled, as per the armour of damnation rule.
All the misses are re-rolled, as per the infinite hatred rule.

As all the dice have now been re-rolled, no further re-rolls are allowed so this is the result that stands.
In short, you roll to hit...then pick up ALL the dice and roll to hit again.

Angelwing
26-03-2008, 19:22
first option for me. This is one of those odd combinations where a re-reroll might be justified.

Mordante
26-03-2008, 19:38
i have always played it that you first determine the # of successful hits. So the VC rolls to hit, rerolls any missed. Then all resulting hits are effected by the armor, so get rerolled. Never had anyone argue that that was incorrect.

Jack of Blades
26-03-2008, 20:16
This was FAQ'ed (can be found at the GW page), and IIRC, you first re-rolled any misses, and then you re-rolled all the hits (including the re-rolls).

theunwantedbeing
26-03-2008, 20:19
The FAQ also ignores the re-roll rules......
My way is the correct way of doing it as it follows the rules.

Yes it seems silly to re-roll all the dice but thats what happens!

Cromenon
26-03-2008, 20:30
So, to say it easy, each rule cancel the other, isn't it?

Masque
26-03-2008, 20:57
So, to say it easy, each rule cancel the other, isn't it?

Almost. If one side could force re-rolls of successes and the other would get to re-roll failures twice you would still roll all the dice then pick them up and roll them one more time and be done.

Leth Shyish'phak
26-03-2008, 21:42
As Jack Of Blades said, it has been FAQ'ed. You re-roll misses first, then you re-roll all of the hits (inculding those that were re-rolled after missing).

Yehoshua
26-03-2008, 23:43
Official errata/FAQs override rules in the books . . . otherwise the errata would be meaningless. That's about as obvious as you can get.

Since the errata in question is a Chaos FAQ, answering a question about Hatred and the Armor of Damnation, it clearly applies.

One might argue that it wouldn't apply to some ability other than hatred that allowed a model to reroll one or more hits, but I'd probably follow the FAQ as long as the defending model had the AoD.

Nurgling Chieftain
26-03-2008, 23:49
Official errata/FAQs override rules in the books...Doesn't mean they're not totally retarded sometimes. :cool:

Braad
27-03-2008, 06:40
Sometimes weird situations ask for weird solutions.

Though I agree that GW always says that re-rolled dice can't be re-rolled again, and thus unwantedbeing has the most logical explanation, we can't ignore the FAQ and have to follow its judgment.

warlord hack'a
27-03-2008, 10:44
but this FAQ was for 6th edition right? SO no longer valid in 7th, end of discussion. In the 7th edition this has not been FAQ-ed yet so I stand by Theunwantedbeing, reroll all the dice (so just roll them once).

Gazak Blacktoof
27-03-2008, 12:25
but this FAQ was for 6th edition right? SO no longer valid in 7th, end of discussion. In the 7th edition this has not been FAQ-ed yet so I stand by Theunwantedbeing, reroll all the dice (so just roll them once).

I would think its in the current chaos FAQ. It wouldn't really make a difference to me its a workable solution to exactly the same problem. The mechanics haven't changed.

One might argue that it wouldn't apply to some ability other than hatred that allowed a model to reroll one or more hits, but I'd probably follow the FAQ as long as the defending model had the AoD.

I'd follow it for all re-reroll procedures. I'd always look for a precedent.

theunwantedbeing
27-03-2008, 13:44
In the same FAQ it says that a character on a daemonic steed does not benefit from the immunity to psychology given by the daemonic steed.
You'll have to follow this rule as well if you are allowing those re-rolls to get re-rolled.

warlord hack'a
27-03-2008, 14:24
nicely put, So the FAQ is outdated, so we use 7th edition rules only, which do not allow us to reroll a dice more than once, which brings me to believe that all dice should be rerolled, so to save the time needed to roll just roll once (as the first roll is irrelevant just skip it, just make sure your opponent knows before you roll that this is the only roll you will make to hit)..

decker_cky
27-03-2008, 14:35
It's a 7th edition FAQ, so you have to follow it. Notice how it has the khorne frenzy not giving extra attacks ruled in it?

Gazak Blacktoof
27-03-2008, 14:43
In the same FAQ it says that a character on a daemonic steed does not benefit from the immunity to psychology given by the daemonic steed.
You'll have to follow this rule as well if you are allowing those re-rolls to get re-rolled.

The way ITP works has changed but if somebody insisted on it then fair enough*. Not that I have any daemonic steeds anyway...

The way re-rolls work as a mechanic hasn't changed.

*The way frenzy works from the mark of khorne is also different due to specific wordings.

If players have been playing the game long enough to know the 6th edition rules concerning the blocking of ITP and frenzy transfer they'll probably also be smart enough to know that those rules no-longer exist and so don't realy apply according to the current rules.

I wont get drawn into a debate over which is the right way to play the game as there are arguments both ways and its OT for this thread. Our group looks at the intent of rules and precedents as well as the written rules but our group is very small and its easy to find "best fit" solutions rather than using blanket RAW.

Xirathnix
27-03-2008, 19:14
This was FAQ'ed (can be found at the GW page), and IIRC, you first re-rolled any misses, and then you re-rolled all the hits (including the re-rolls).

TY Jack for the correct answer and yehoshua for where to find it. The FAQ is there for a reason and clearly spells out how to play thus overriding (ignorantly) the reroll rule.