PDA

View Full Version : Fell bats or bat swarms?

mav1971
26-03-2008, 19:28
As a new vampire count player I was just wondering what the more experienced undead player thought of these 2 units. Which is better in your opinion and why?

Thinking of doing a unit of 5 or 6 fell bats or a unit of 3 or 4 bat swarms.

AnotherZach
27-03-2008, 02:53
While i'm not hugely experienced I'd say its not a matter of one being 'better' than the other. The two units are used for vastly different purposes, mainly because the bat swarms only fly 10" and the fell bats get the full 20".

Fell bats are mainly war machine hunters. Low unit strength prevents them from doing any serious flank charging or destroying of fleeing units (although you might be able to manage it with Summon Creatures of the Night).

Bat swarms are basically mobile zombies. They move a bit faster, but their profile is just as awful (weapon skill aside). Turning them into a tarpit with Summon Creatures of the Night might be a decent plan. Flank charging with them could be a liability but is possible in a pinch. They also aren't bad at going after march blocking light cav and scouts who show up behind your lines.

Jampire
27-03-2008, 03:43
I think Bat Swarms are terrible in comparison to Fell Bats.

Fell Bats have '20 fly, and are at -1 to hit. Compare to '10 fly, and terrible models, I know what my choice is.

Adolphus
27-03-2008, 20:12
bat swarms are worthless imo, unless you have a fluff reason or like the models i'd say always go for the fell bats, they are just far more flexible

nurgle_boy
27-03-2008, 23:59
bat swarms are worthless imo, unless you have a fluff reason or like the models i'd say always go for the fell bats, they are just far more flexible

now now. A swarm is a swarm, and they are bloody good at tarpitting, as well as almost always being able to move the 10 (due to no march block). as has been said, summon creatures of the night could make them an everlasting unit, capable of holding a nasty killy enemy unit up for the entire game, or sitting on an objective doing very little. Yes, spirit hosts can do the same, but why have 1 swarm unit, when you can have 2?

As has been said, fell bats and bat swarms each have their individual uses. Fell bats, imo, are a must, since flyers seem to be a VERY useful addition to any army. Their only disadvantage compared to other flyers, is the ability to flee from charges, but being able to take multiple, cheap units, and res them, makes up for this in the long run, as does their multiple wounds. I always run a unit of 4, maybe 2. at 4 they are still fragile, but still easy to maneuver due to their large bases, and not having too many. their -1 to hit from shooting is also very good, meaning they can always destract from the rest of your army, as well as die a little bit less. As a last resort, you can always ram a unit to drop a wound off a wizard, but the lack of attacks makes them a bit iffy at this...

Thats my tuppence on the subject anyway.

NB.

Spirit
28-03-2008, 01:38
Ever thought of running 5 instead of 4?

That way you don't need summon creatures of the night to bring them back up to US 5, which kills the units fleeing into them.

Adolphus
28-03-2008, 03:46
Yeah I know they can have their uses I'm just saying if you have to choose between fell bats or bat swarms...imo fell bats are the better choice they just have more potential, and yeah swarms are great tar pits but isn't that what we have zombies for :p

Lordmonkey
28-03-2008, 04:01
Fell bats dude. War machine/wizard hunters is what every VC army needs!

Lord_Byron
28-03-2008, 07:29
Neither.

;)

Spirit
28-03-2008, 10:03
I hope your not being serious byron...

mav1971
28-03-2008, 13:43
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll go with the fell bats.