PDA

View Full Version : Ork hair pieces

dblaz3r
27-03-2008, 01:05
Ok so I'm not a big fan of the ork heads with the hair piece on them and while cutting them off I got to thinking about what they actually are.
I seem to remember that in the 2nd edition codex they explained that the orks had all types of squigs for all types of things. It said that one particular breed of squig was used as a hair peice. By biting onto the head of an ork, presto you have your stunning do. Is this still the case? I don't remember reading about it in the new codex.

I seriously can't imagine an ork with his hair down and a generous bowl cut flowing in the winds of battle :D

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-03-2008, 01:19
You have almost just encouraged me to model a bunch of orks with outrageous hairpieces. A lot of the older background stuff was just plain ridiculous or silly for all the races. Some people liked it better that way, and there are those who view the dark and skully version we have today as just as silly, but in aunintentional kind of way. I doubt highly they use the "squig wig" background for ork hair in this edition.

dblaz3r
27-03-2008, 01:37
hmmm, so where pray tell do these sprouts come from? And if it is hair then does that make an ork a mammal? Or is it fur?

Hellebore
27-03-2008, 01:46
As far as I know, the squigwig is definitely still in the background. Orks are naturally hairless so they have no means of growing those narly do's.

Hellebore

sabreu
27-03-2008, 01:57
A better question; why does everyone need a topnot? Bleh!

On topic though, the hair squig is still in the picture. Really, just think of a parasite that happens to resemble a single thread of hair. Take a bunch, apply to wanted area, and presto: Bad hair style! Or a particularly groovy beard!

dblaz3r
27-03-2008, 02:01
*contemplates a mob of beard knotted boyz* :D

Rabid Bunny 666
27-03-2008, 02:19
What you should do is have 2 Orks with squig wigs (squiggs?) snarling at each other to the confusion of the orks.

Gensuke626
27-03-2008, 02:29
Hair squigs - I think they're still around, and technically the "Hair" isn't really hair or fur...it's the creature's gills.

Orks are not Mammals, they are Fungus...with Teef...and choppas.

Kymar
27-03-2008, 04:20
Has anyone actually seen a grot or snotling with hair?

Any parasite that can live on an ork should be able to live off the smaller guys, and I think they'd look hillarious with hair.

bosstroll
27-03-2008, 08:40
"yer haves ta trim da hairsquig sometimes, or it will fly in your face when yous firing da shoota"
-courtesy of the 2nd ed ork codex ;)

Orks as a weirdo mobile fungus, thank Mork the funny is back in the codex.

sigur
27-03-2008, 09:53
A better question; why does everyone need a topnot? Bleh!

Because bold = boring?:rolleyes:

Hairsquigs are a thing of orky fashion, flashiness and status. If an Ork finds his Gretchins or even his Snotlings wearing hairsquigs, he's going to rip it off their skalp and use them himself or sells them. Maybe it's also about smaller greenlings being less 'ard than Orks so wearing hair squigs would be too uncomfortable for them to wear.

In the colour pages of Codex Orks 2nd edition, in the picture which shows the metal Gretchins with autopistols and close combat weapons, the dude in the middle has the leathery things on the side of his helmet painted yellow. For years, I thought he had blonde hair which, in my opinion, made him look especially vicious.

Tiamat
27-03-2008, 10:15
You have almost just encouraged me to model a bunch of orks with outrageous hairpieces.

Tee hee, Ork afros!

Skirnak
27-03-2008, 10:58
You have almost just encouraged me to model a bunch of orks with outrageous hairpieces. A lot of the older background stuff was just plain ridiculous or silly for all the races. Some people liked it better that way, and there are those who view the dark and skully version we have today as just as silly, but in aunintentional kind of way. I doubt highly they use the "squig wig" background for ork hair in this edition.

I think the hair squigs are back for this edition, considering that they re-introduced a lot of the 'silly' stuff they dropped for 3rd. For example, flash gitz and stormboyz are now what they used to be, rather than generic Orks with certain equipment. Then there's the Shokk Attack Gun; I don't think Orks have followed that straight-faced trend, which makes the army pretty characterful.

I'm pretty sure the hair squig was mentioned somewhere in the codex...I'll get back to you later on that.

malika
27-03-2008, 11:29
I remember that a friend of mine once modelled Orks with dreadlocks! :evilgrin:

Kveld-Ulf
27-03-2008, 21:12
Has anyone actually seen a grot or snotling with hair?

Any parasite that can live on an ork should be able to live off the smaller guys, and I think they'd look hillarious with hair.

I have a model somewhere of a Grot with a topknot. I need to get around to painting it one day (doesn't even play Orks but has a bunch of the models :wtf:)

This does sound like a very interesting conversion to do though. I can just imagine an Ork with a really nice beard, or some flowing (not quite) locks of hair.

Archangel_Ruined
27-03-2008, 22:45
Hair squigs are great. Orks aren't fungus, they're a mish mashed genetically engineered race involving spores and hard wired DNA knowledge. Orks are a mess, or viewed more accurately, a perfect species. I must say, however, my favourite squig from the back ground has to be the face-eater squig. Now that's a mans sport...

Logarithm Udgaur
28-03-2008, 01:14
I always figured the "hair" was just fungal sprouts, such as most molds. In fact since orks are supposed to spore off all over the place, it would make since for their "dandruff" if you will, to create more boyz.

Lockjaw
28-03-2008, 02:11
Hair squigs - I think they're still around, and technically the "Hair" isn't really hair or fur...it's the creature's gills.

Orks are not Mammals, they are Fungus...with Teef...and choppas.

orks aren't fungus, they're animals with a symbiotic algea in their DNA

Grimbad
28-03-2008, 05:51
"An Ork's genetic make-up contains fungal and algal strains..."
-codex: orks, page four.

Lockjaw
28-03-2008, 23:36
it contains fungal and algeal strains, doesn't make them walking mushrooms

Archangel_Ruined
29-03-2008, 00:10
Nobody read my post then? Ah well, they have the best aspects of many 'species' mooched into them, which is why they're 2m tall, muscled fighting machines that spread unconsciously, are drawn to strife and instinctively know how to make technology far more advanced than the imperium or even the eldar have access to (tellyportas as they call them are almost webway projector beams, muchos cool). Their whole make up is designed to ensure wherever orks appear there is already an orkish ecosystem that can support them. Hair squigs fit into that ecosystem somehow...

dblaz3r
29-03-2008, 02:06
I'm going to have to hunt down a 2nd edition codex it's been a long time since I last read all the fluff in the book. Out of all the different squigs my favourite was the face eater, best way to seperate the real orkz from the grotz :)

baphomael
29-03-2008, 02:23
I'm going to have to hunt down a 2nd edition codex it's been a long time since I last read all the fluff in the book. Out of all the different squigs my favourite was the face eater, best way to seperate the real orkz from the grotz :)

Nah, ya need to get ya mitz on waagh! da orkz. Now that is old skool

(although, obviously the whole bit about 'da dropz' has changed a bit, since gorkamorka was released suddenly orks lost their ability to sexually reproduce).

Archangel_Ruined
29-03-2008, 11:15
That and 'Ere we go', they're some old books, but bits of the fluff have been updated (read rewritten) since then. Orks are fantastic though, definitely the GW sense of humour kept alive.