PDA

View Full Version : Quiting 40K

take19
27-03-2008, 02:12
Hey,

I was wondering what advice you guys could give on this dilema I have?

I've been into 40K for four years now. The past 7 months or so i've not been attending the sunday club I go to at my local gw. This is because I know no-one whos within 2 years of my age who go's there. The two good friends I have *that are my age* who played It both quit last winter. They complained that it was so embarassing to play with children, especially when our gw *with it's fully windowed store front* is right next to a hangout spot for all our friends* so around last summer it all became to much for me so I decided to not go for awhile. However I turned up for gamesday to enter the gold demon, and actually reached the finals *theres a picture of me and the certificate on another one of my threads*. Anyway, my problem is, i'm wondering is it worth me waiting till winter to go to the 'vets' club at my local store which is 16+? Especially when now I would have to balance it with increasing revision/girlfriend/social life/rugby training. I mean I love the idea of the hobby and everything, but I can't help associating it with little kids... now it just seems to me to be like a room that eleven yearolds with toolboxes turn up to:(

So do you think it would be worth me carrying on? Is 'vets' really all that good?

Thanks guys.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-03-2008, 02:17
Oh noes! It's really up to you, man. Being embarrassed by playing a game is a definite indication that maybe it isn't for you, although I think it's ridiculous to be ashamed of playing a game that you really enjoy. It seems like you've been a big fan of 40K, and it would be silly to stop because of what other people think about you. On the other hand, I know it's rough to not have people your own age to play with and normally that's why I only play with my buddies at home, not pick-up groups at gaming stores. If you enjoy the game, keep playing. That's what 40K is all about, having fun. If you're not having fun anymore it's time to get out.

samiens
27-03-2008, 02:18
Well I'm 24 and apart from a low general standard of player you get decent pick up games and a reason to spend absurd amounts on toys! Secondly, if you're big enough to play rugby surely the embarressment factor can't be that big lol! Seriously though, I was speaking to a 15 year old at vets last tuesday, so I don't suppose anyone will care if you turn up a few months early. Finally, just get your girlfriend to play too! I did and its great (aside from the fact I get my **** kicked a lot), particularly as she's as yet unbeaten in the shop and people can react in a funny way losing to a pretty girl!

dblaz3r
27-03-2008, 02:25
Keep your head up mate :) If hanging around a bunch of kids is sucking the fun out of it for you then just stick to painting for awhile, you mustn't be too bad if you got some recognition for your skills. There's plenty of time for games in the future. As for the embarassment thing don't worry about it, you'll soon reach an age where people don't act like school kids and you can do what ever you want without being ridiculed for it. True friends accept you for who you are, not for who they want you to be.

jubilex
27-03-2008, 02:38
Don't really know what to say...
I play nearly exclusively with my mates who are pretty much the same age as me.

I would like to say, that no matter what age you are, keep doing whatever interests you.

But, having said that, I am 40 now. Yeah, still playing with toy soldiers!!!!!!!!
I always have done, why should I stop???

I'll tell you why.

I went to my local gw a couple of years ago, in the school holidays. The place was full of kids.
I noticed someone point to me and say "Who is that?"

THE RESPONSE TO THIS, FROM A GW EMPLOYEE, WHO I HAD TALKED TO I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES WAS "I DON'T KNOW, SOME PEADOPHILE."

That kind of knocked me on my backside.

I've been in the shop a couple of times since, I used to be a regular.

Tbh, I have no idea what the moral of this story is, but I'll be ********d if some **** stops me from doing what I want with crap like that.
If I had the oppurtunity again, I would drag him out into the street...and would still be inside for it.

I don't know, I'm a bit p****d off now, but if you like the game, stick with it.

Blarp
27-03-2008, 02:38
Dude--It's not a "childish" game by any means. On the surface, it may appear so, but the artistic element and rather intricate strategy make it much more sophisticated than "chillin" with "yo peeps" and acting "cool" in order to boost your social ranking (I assume this is applicable, as it can be inferred from your post that you're 15 yrs.).

I'm about the same age, but everyone at my Hordes/Warmachine league is at least 20. Lots of adults (and not just the stereotypical '40 year old virgin' types) are in this hobby.

MrLiy
27-03-2008, 02:42
I know this is generalizing, but from my experience Rogue trader stores usually have an older crowd than GW shops.

Also I'm assuming this, but it sounds like you are in high school. Most decent college towns will have either some sort of Rogue trader/comic store, or you can probably find a club in college where people play. Theres nothing cooler than playing from 6 to 10 then hitting the bar scene from 10 till 2 in the morning.

Seriously high school from what I know is the only time when some 40k players feel ashamed of playing with their toy soldiers.

JCOLL
27-03-2008, 02:43
Hey,

I was wondering what advice you guys could give on this dilema I have?

I've been into 40K for four years now. The past 7 months or so i've not been attending the sunday club I go to at my local gw. This is because I know no-one whos within 2 years of my age who go's there. The two good friends I have *that are my age* who played It both quit last winter. They complained that it was so embarassing to play with children, especially when our gw *with it's fully windowed store front* is right next to a hangout spot for all our friends* so around last summer it all became to much for me so I decided to not go for awhile. However I turned up for gamesday to enter the gold demon, and actually reached the finals *theres a picture of me and the certificate on another one of my threads*. Anyway, my problem is, i'm wondering is it worth me waiting till winter to go to the 'vets' club at my local store which is 16+? Especially when now I would have to balance it with increasing revision/girlfriend/social life/rugby training. I mean I love the idea of the hobby and everything, but I can't help associating it with little kids... now it just seems to me to be like a room that eleven yearolds with toolboxes turn up to:(

So do you think it would be worth me carrying on? Is 'vets' really all that good?

Thanks guys.

You know, something happened to me today that made me question whether or not I should go on with 40K. Like you, it didn't have much to do with the game/hobby - it was outside forces affecting it. It's weird to see your post right now. I came home from work tonight and took a look around my game room. Tons of boxes of unopened minis, shelves of unpainted armies, and a desk full of WIP stuff. I tried working on my stuff a little but it's just not the same. It sounds like you are a little younger than I, but our circumstances are similar. When I really thought about it, I realized that it doesn't matter what others think of your hobby. What really matters is that you enjoy and excel at it. I have painted countless minis and have never had the guts to enter into a golden demon. I have won various contests at local events, but I was thinking of entering a GD this year at games day. Don't give up on this just because your friends don't think it's cool anymore. As you grow up, you will see that it doesn't matter what others think as long as you enjoy it. If your friends opted to not play anymore because of all the kids, that is their decision. But if you like it, stick with it. I have been in the hobby for years and haven't played a real game in about a year. I still enjoy coming home every night and working on my stuff. It's not just about playing a game or painting some stupid toy soldiers - it's theraputic. I was diagnosed with a disease that I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. It's only going to get worse. Working on my hobby stuff is my time to relax and not have to deal with thinking about what's wrong with my physically. It lets me escape for a while doing something I think I'm good at and something I really enjoy. I don't have the option to go 'outside and play' or work an extra job, so I play with my toy soldiers in my down time. If anyone else wants to take a crack at me for it then they really don't know why I do it. I do it for me. I don't think I'll find another gaming league for a good long time, but I'm still going to work on my stuff and expand my armies.

I don't know if I made a lot of sense. I've had a rough day. A rough year. I hate the thought of someone getting out of the hobby because their friends think it's uncool. Cool won't matter in five years. You'll see what I mean. So many things can happen to you in life bigger than friends nagging you and what not. Do what you want to do because you enjoy it. No more, no less.

sabre4190
27-03-2008, 02:49
Well, if the reason you don't like playing is because its nothing but little kids, then joining vets might fix that. I would give that a shot. That, and if you could make finals at a golden demon, you clearly have some pretty intense painting skills.

But remember that you don't have to permanently "quit" warhammer. plenty of people stop for a while, then come back to play later.

Chem-Dog
27-03-2008, 02:50
Investigate Gaming clubs in your area, if there aren't any, start one, even if it's just you and your mates in the lounge.

Blarp
27-03-2008, 02:53
THE RESPONSE TO THIS, FROM A GW EMPLOYEE, WHO I HAD TALKED TO I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES WAS "I DON'T KNOW, SOME PEADOPHILE."

Wow, what a... Person who loses frequently.

Besides that, though, I'll second that RT stores have a more experienced crowd than the GWs. At a GW store, I'll often walk in, ask some kid for a game, and he'll say "well, I only have 14 units, but OK". Of course, I say "Wow, 14 units? Thats much more than I have! That's fine by me!". He pops open his case to reveal a Space Marine command squad and a 9-man tactical squad he bought on e-bay. It's dissapointing.

Slaaneshi Slave
27-03-2008, 02:55
Most people quit at about that age. Then they come back when they realise there is more to life than "street cred". You'll be back. ;)

thechosenone
27-03-2008, 02:55
I'm twenty-five, i've been playing this since i was one of the kids you feel embarrassed to play with. Its a great hobby and don't give up on it because you feel weird playing where you play. I have two GW's by me. One inside a mall which is weird to drag my stuff through but not a big deal. The other is a battle bunker.

I play with kids of all ages. I've never played anyone twelve or under but older then that and you can be surprised. We ran a campaign about a year ago and a 14 year old named tony schooled us all with his eldar.

My advice, find out where the people your age are playing and when. If your picky about who you play seek them out. Every GW i've been to (I have four in a 15 mile radius of my house) has a vet night. And the shop guys are willing to play you too if you arrange a time.

Have fun, to hell with the jerks that make you feel bad about playing

take19
27-03-2008, 03:05
I have to say these responses are overwhelmingly cool ^^ - thanks for all of your input, reviewing what you have all said, I think i'll build my army, then go to vets in the winter once i'm old enough. Even if I don't like it, at least I tried, and gave it my best shot!

Thank you all, very very helpfull :)!

vipernyc
27-03-2008, 03:05
play at home.

jubilex
27-03-2008, 03:08
Just thought of something positive you might enjoy!!!

My mate, norsemantyr, went into a video games shop.

Now something you should know about him, is he's ex army/ex prison guard and tells close combat trainers where they are going wrong...this much is obvious when you look at him.

In the queue, he was behind a kid. When the kid was served, the guy behind the counter asked him to answer a few questions...do you play this, that, etc for a survey.

"Do you play 40k? No? Yeah, you have to be a bit of an idiot to play that."

Up steps the tatooed one, he says "I play 40k!!!"

Shop keeper goes a weird colour and exits stage right...

Epicenter
27-03-2008, 03:20
We all go through years where the opinion of people we hardly know means a lot to us. We call these years adolescence. Most of us, even when going through those years knew that it was foolish to place so much stock on the opinions of others, yet there's a world of difference between being told and having to live it.

If the shame and danger of ridicule from your peers is that great of danger to you? I'd cut back on the 40k - shift your attention to the parts of the hobby you enjoy. Clearly, it sounds like you're a skilled painter and modeller - I'd concentrate on that. Otherwise, spend your time with your friends, chasing girls, the other things that make adolescence fun. The hobby will still be here once you're in your 20s, when things like peer pressure won't matter so much.

You can always come back.

Gensuke626
27-03-2008, 03:25
My suggestion. Keep playing 40k, and push the kids to reach a state of excellence with their painting and playing skills...
Become your FLGS/GW's Wise Beard Man.

Drakon
27-03-2008, 03:42
Stick it out if your doing that good when you young youll be even better as the year go on.

I stop for 10 years and now that im back i wish i hadnt

UncleCrazy
27-03-2008, 05:22
Do these "kids" act like children? You should never judge by age, judge by how they act.

The Orange
27-03-2008, 05:31
play at home.

By George I think he'd got it!

You can always...you know...not hang out at the GW store. I never did. Oh I'll go and browse the shop not carrying, maybe even play a game their once in a while. But by gods, I'm not going to go there and hang with little children either (that a bit too Michael Jackson for me :angel: ). The great thing about this hobby is you can hide it in the closet. (metaphorically and realistically :p )

You should do the same with your old gaming mates. See if their up to some pizza, beer, and 40k at someone's house some time. Hell me and my mates sometimes don't even get to the gaming. We just use it as an excuse to hang out.

Ice Pak
27-03-2008, 05:49
You know, something happened to me today that made me question whether or not I should go on with 40K. Like you, it didn't have much to do with the game/hobby - it was outside forces affecting it. It's weird to see your post right now. I came home from work tonight and took a look around my game room. Tons of boxes of unopened minis, shelves of unpainted armies, and a desk full of WIP stuff. I tried working on my stuff a little but it's just not the same. It sounds like you are a little younger than I, but our circumstances are similar. When I really thought about it, I realized that it doesn't matter what others think of your hobby. What really matters is that you enjoy and excel at it. I have painted countless minis and have never had the guts to enter into a golden demon. I have won various contests at local events, but I was thinking of entering a GD this year at games day. Don't give up on this just because your friends don't think it's cool anymore. As you grow up, you will see that it doesn't matter what others think as long as you enjoy it. If your friends opted to not play anymore because of all the kids, that is their decision. But if you like it, stick with it. I have been in the hobby for years and haven't played a real game in about a year. I still enjoy coming home every night and working on my stuff. It's not just about playing a game or painting some stupid toy soldiers - it's theraputic. I was diagnosed with a disease that I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. It's only going to get worse. Working on my hobby stuff is my time to relax and not have to deal with thinking about what's wrong with my physically. It lets me escape for a while doing something I think I'm good at and something I really enjoy. I don't have the option to go 'outside and play' or work an extra job, so I play with my toy soldiers in my down time. If anyone else wants to take a crack at me for it then they really don't know why I do it. I do it for me. I don't think I'll find another gaming league for a good long time, but I'm still going to work on my stuff and expand my armies.

I don't know if I made a lot of sense. I've had a rough day. A rough year. I hate the thought of someone getting out of the hobby because their friends think it's uncool. Cool won't matter in five years. You'll see what I mean. So many things can happen to you in life bigger than friends nagging you and what not. Do what you want to do because you enjoy it. No more, no less.

Yes, that did make a lot of sense and that's a damn powerful message you sent there my friend.

Straha
27-03-2008, 06:43
Hey,

I'm a Marine (the United States kind) and an Iraq combat Veteran. I also play 40K. A few of the guys in my old unit are also hardcore 40K players. One guy plays Orks, the other plays Tau. Play the game and enjoy it.

Also, if you're playing against 12 year old kids, you're actually a role model. Trust me, these kids look up to/respect you.

Keep playing.

Straha
27-03-2008, 06:44
Yes, that did make a lot of sense and that's a damn powerful message you sent there my friend.

Agreed! And :wtf: is "cool" anyway?

jhon
27-03-2008, 07:44
look i have 3 kids and im 36 i play the game over 10 yrs , and least year i open a club at the town where i live . if you feel age is problem go to a hobbie store or open your own club [ you need a big place though ..] . but if life or other thing stop you or you lost your love with the game is ok to quit now and get bak in later , if you feel you want it to ...

Ronin_eX
27-03-2008, 07:55
If it is the kids then do as the Orange says and play at home. Same thing for the friends that quit, if they haven't sold off their armies then get them over to your place and have a game there.

I tend to prefer it as it means I can sit back and have a few beers with my friends while shooting the breeze. Depending on your situation you can usually find or make some sort of flat surface to play on and find some things to use as terrain and then go to town with it. Playing at home means you can ignore the kids and anyone you don't want to play with. It has comfy chairs as well which is a plus.

I have only played one game at a store in my entire gaming life and I have been doing this for 13 or more years. I don't do tourneys, I don't do random pick up games at stores for me this hobby is all about hanging out with friends and having fun. It also opens up a new side of the wargaming hobby, terrain making. So start getting your home set-up going and start having fun with any of your gamer friends you can wrangle into it.

Tapio
27-03-2008, 08:10
Huh? The opener has problems because he's embarrased to play with little kids, and he ain't even 16 yet? Is it really that bad? Have you even thought about asking someone else at the store to play with you sometime?

The only thing I have a problem with around here is that most people at tournies here are older than me. Heck, it's no surpise to see a bunch of guys in their forties stand around and mumble how things were so much better back in the RT days.

Draconian77
27-03-2008, 08:19
I actually try never to play anyone more than a year younger than me if possible.

But I am a competitive player and the young 'uns have not developed enough to be worthy foes... Play at vets night and tournaments if possible.

Also avoiding their high pitched voice witch resonates with the power of Nel herself keeps me sane.

Sane-er.

Sane-ish?

Damn...

philbrad2
27-03-2008, 10:13
Take a sabbatical from the game, pack up your minis. Most people who do this come back with a renewed enthusiasm. Who knows 6 or 12 months down the line you might (or might not) be itching to get back into the thick of it

PhilB

battle captain corpus
27-03-2008, 10:15
Dude, weve all been there. I wnet through a period of being intently embarrassed about GW for sometime...my "Wilderness Years"...but I came back anew. I found a great group to game with, people older than me even to chat to etc aswell.
If you cant face then whole store thing, and believe ME I understand, then try just quiet painting sessions and online work for a while. If your in the UK I'd be glad to play you sometime...if your close anyway! Hahahahha!

nedsta
27-03-2008, 11:03
i've been around the game since late RT days but i used to play every day when 3re ed came out as my local GW was 3 miles away,i've played 3 games of 4th ed due to spending 7 years in the army,but during that time i found out one of my best mates from the army used to do 40k and we slowly started getting back into it again,now we've both left the army,we are both back into the hobby in a painting sense full time,we speak at least a couple of times a week about the hobby and always sending pictures over the phone about our latest WIP,both going to FW open day again,Games Day ETC,when we go into our local GW's now (not very often as mine is 50 miles away) the staff will spend as long as they can chatting about whats been happening and any rumours they have heard,current projects etc

My point i guess would be that you don't always have to play the game to enjoy the hobby mate,if you can find some guys or girls who are in the same boat then have yourselves a painting night once a week or so,stick a dvd in,get a chinese and roberts your mums brother,who knows where you'll end up :D

Jos
27-03-2008, 11:09
I experienced the same kind of thing but found that it got better when I started playing and hanging out with older players who one actually can make conversation with...
If you look at people as a group, most of them has something they hide/are ashamed of

Urza
27-03-2008, 12:21
I went to my local gw a couple of years ago, in the school holidays. The place was full of kids.

Hi Jubilex,

I'm shocked and disgusted to hear what happened to you. I'm 31 and I occasionally feel a bit uncomfortable when in my local GW store when its full of rampaging kids on a weekend, so I tend to go in when its fairly quiet, ie just before closing time on a Sunday/Weekday.

I never play games in the store or take part in store events, however I regularly buy models and books from there and chat to the staff and I know most of them fairly well.

If a member of staff was to say anything about me along similar lines to what was said about you, I'd immediately take it up with their manager and escalate it until a) the person responsible was either severely reprimanded or out of a job, and b) I had been suitably compensated for the slanderous comments made about me.

Irresponsible, thoughtless idiots should not be allowed to affect your enjoyment of this hobby. Games Workshop management would be disgusted to learn of what happened to you - primarily as it may have put you off of spending hard-earned cash on their product.

Rirekon
27-03-2008, 13:08
<tradition>Can I have your stuff?</tradition>

I quit wargaming about 9-10 years ago when most of my friends moved away from it and the new manager of the FLGS was a right idiot. Only recently got back into it though colleagues at work enticing me into their campaign.

Really if you're not enjoying the games or the situation/environment at the moment then take a break from it. You can always get back into things with a fresh mind later.

frogprince
27-03-2008, 13:47
[QUOTE=Straha;2472156} :wtf: is "cool" anyway?[/QUOTE]

Dude, cool is what happens if you fall asleep in the freezer.

I used to play back in at the end of RT/begginning of 2nd ed. dropped out for a few years due to lack of players/money/enthuiasm about the same age as you are now, but now i'm back!

been playing for 2 years or so now, and have about 7500pt of guard. also have a Fiancee who plays eldar, and is always either complaining that she doesn't have time to paint/game, doesn't have the money to by toy soldiers, or says how great she thinks it is to be a geek.

stick at it if you enjoy it, but if you do drop out, be sure to put *all* your stuff in storage. i lost all my stuff when i dropped out, and now i'm really annoyed i got rid of it. i had the hardback RT, 2nd ed set, loads of mini's, books and stuff. the only thing i have left is a stack of old WD's.

tsutek
27-03-2008, 13:51
Dude.. You never quit the hobby! Even if you stop painting, playing and collecting etc.. 'Tis just a matter of time before you slip up again 8)

sliganian
27-03-2008, 13:52
Well, I am a bit odd in that I didn't start in this hobby until I was 30.
That was 7 years ago and I'm still here.

So, all I can say is this, and it isn't mine but I take it as my own:

You don't stop playing games because you get old, you get old because you stop playing games.

Souleater
27-03-2008, 13:55
I guess I'm not alone in having an entire army that is older than the OP.

I think it probably is worth waiting until vets night becomes available to you. In the months between you can still paint your figures and see if there are any other people in your area or at school who would be intresting in making up a small club or league.

Huw_Dawson
27-03-2008, 14:05
I quit for a year, and came back a damn site happier. Weird how my painting got better after a year off, too.

- Huw

Ozorik
27-03-2008, 14:12
I mean I love the idea of the hobby and everything, but I can't help associating it with little kids... now it just seems to me to be like a room that eleven yearolds with toolboxes turn up to

Find a games club in your area and go to it. If its a decent one you will see that wargaming is a mature activity. You will also be exposed to the gaming vistas beyond the blinkered 'GW hobby'. The average age in the club I go to is probably mid 30s, the youngest regular is probably 16 or so.

Some games clubs are incredbibly crusty though so it may be worth your while going to a few in order to find one actually worth joining.

Budro
27-03-2008, 14:27
Hi. My name is Budro and I too am a 40K player. I've tried to stop. But soon the desire to paint a model is overwhelming and I find myself sneaking off from my wife to paint a grot in the basement.

Seriously, most of the people I play with are between the ages of 20 and 60. I'm pretty much in the middle at 32, didn't start warhammer/40K until I was 22. Played a lot of D&D all through school with my friends and also dated girls, played sports etc. It's only something to be ashamed of if you let be. Yeah, I'm in my 30's and I play with dolls. But I have a fun time doing it and could care less what other people think. Luckily I have a wife who understands my need to get sometimes and play a game.

Iron_Wolves
27-03-2008, 14:29
One thing, do not sell your stuff. I did when I stopped playing Battletech and then I bought it all over when I got back into it. I still have the books and over 100 minis for the game :(.

I have not played in the last few months, but before that I played in a few local RTT where I lived and talk about cheating. I could tell that these locals never played in a bigger event because over half of them cheated. Well this put a nasty taste in my mouth and I packed up my minis (also waiting for the new deamon codex to come out and with school and 2 jobs it’s hard to find time).

Take some time off, have fun and come back into when you are done with your schooling. Make this your hobby, not something that you have to do.

SonofUltramar
27-03-2008, 14:30
If you game at your local GW I would have a chat with the manager and explain how you feel about the situation and see if they can let you go along to Vets night, I know my local GW has done that on a few occasions. You sound like a very talented person and even if its just painting that you want to do for now thats cool and give the shop a miss for a bit. Heck I used to work in GW and i wish i could have had the summer off so doing some painting at home for a bit and going back in 6 months sounds great to me, lol

For me, i'm 25 on my day off, i'm away to pick up some new clothes for the weekend and have a game with my high elves:)

Curufew
27-03-2008, 14:49
Well I've also recently quit 40K because the rules for the game are so bland and strip of any flavour. I like the 40K universe a lot of if it wasn't for the crap ruleset. I would be a happy bunny. If only GW knows how to create a good ruleset...

Victomorga
27-03-2008, 16:01
To the OP:

As a 26 year old nerd, I had to laugh a little at your post. No offense, but how do you think me and the rest of the grown-up nerds feel hanging out in a store playing teenagers?

This hobby is too time consuming, space consuming, and generally inconvenient to allow much room for embarassment. If you really feel like the younger guys you're forced to play are too immature for you to game with, then that is a real drag and I guess inquiring about an exception to the vet's club or waiting till you can get in is your only option. Just Make sure you aren't writing these guys off on age alone; if people made a habit of that, guys in their 20's, 30's, etc. would have all been shamed out of this hobby long ago.

On another note: you can take a hiatus without selling off all your stuff. Those minis will still be there and be playable if you decide to come back years from now. I got into this back in RT days, spent years away from active play, and now still field my old ten-for-ten-dollars beakies.

And finally: maybe you ARE done with the hobby. Don't jump to any decisions, but if you really aren't interested anymore, and those models are still collecting dust in a year or so, sell them. Not everybody does this their whole life.

Jellicoe
27-03-2008, 16:13
As with others I would suggest

i) find a proper gaming club, not only can you get sensible games that arent in a shop window but you can also try out the rest of the huge world that is wargaming. The club I go to does everything from 40k to map and counter to mega games refighting Kursk. Last week was pirate skirmish next time will be WWI cruiser/raider warfare

ii) if you have too many competing interests give 40k a rest and return at a later date refreshed and reinvigorated

iii) stick to painting and modelling for awhile

iv) on no account unless seriously cash needy get rid of your models

As an example, currently mid 30's. I played WFB from more or less 1st ed throughout the 80s and RT when it arrived. I hardly touched it from 1992-99 due to work and university although I spent that time exploring other wargames instead. I properly got back into it with a mate when the 3rd ed Tyranids were released and am now re exploring WFB. Since I never threw out the minatures I still have a functional RT marine army and (with a few judicious purchases) an Orc & Gobbo army based on stuff that I purchased circa 83-88. I have gamed instore and didnt frantically enjoy the experience. I prefer to game at home with a mate and a beer or at a club. The therapy that gaming and modelling gives after a hard grind at the office is immense. External interests such as wargaming are very good indeed for ones mental health

so take a break if necessary, find other gaming venues and environments, check out other games and keep your kit. You will return eventually

Emperor's Grace
27-03-2008, 20:45
This hobby is too time consuming, space consuming, and generally inconvenient to allow much room for embarrassment.

WTF is "cool" anyway?

Cool is the confidence to do what you want regardless of what others think. Did the “Fonz” care what others thought of him hanging out with Ritchie?

I'm 35 and have always been proud of all my "geek" hobbies whether it be RPG, CCG, model airplanes, stamps, TTWG, 40K, board games, costuming, drama club, chess club, etc... I didn't care what my "friends" thought then or now about whether they it was cool. Oh, and I disagree with hiding it in a closet (either sense). Most young adults will only make fun of something until they realize that it doesn't bother you. Then they move on to the next target. My wife (when we were going out) and my co-workers all know of my hobby. (Granted, I don't tell them about it in the depth that I reserve for my fellow hobbyists).

You can always...you know...not hang out at the GW store. I never did. Oh I'll go and browse the shop not carrying, maybe even play a game their once in a while.

I tend to prefer it as it means I can sit back and have a few beers with my friends while shooting the breeze. Depending on your situation you can usually find or make some sort of flat surface to play on and find some things to use as terrain and then go to town with it. Playing at home means you can ignore the kids and anyone you don't want to play with. It has comfy chairs as well which is a plus.

I have only played one game at a store in my entire gaming life and I have been doing this for 13 or more years. I don't do tourneys, I don't do random pick up games at stores for me this hobby is all about hanging out with friends and having fun. It also opens up a new side of the wargaming hobby, terrain making. So start getting your home set-up going and start having fun with any of your gamer friends you can wrangle into it.

As a 26 year old nerd, I had to laugh a little at your post. No offense, but how do you think me and the rest of the grown-up nerds feel hanging out in a store playing teenagers?

Above QFT: The home club is the best. A few friends all hanging out, BS’ing, eating, playing, building/painting, respecting the rules.... Hard to set up initially, but worth it. What’s more, you have near complete control over who is allowed in.

Bunnahabhain
27-03-2008, 21:14
I agree with alot of what's been said here. If it doesn't feel right at the moment, than don't play, but don't sell you models yet. If you don't touch them for a year or a so, then sell them and get out permenantly.

A non GW store based setting will help alot. Better people, and better variety of games.

As for embarrasment, I'm a folk dancer who's ended up up on TV in costume far too often...

Hicks
27-03-2008, 21:27
I hate playing in stores, so I just play at home with my friends. There is 5 of us, so I don't always have to play against the same army. If your buddies stopped because they didn't want to play at the store, why don't you guys arrange to play in one of your house?

A.S.modai
27-03-2008, 21:45
I quitting so I can play star grunt. I hear it's awesome.

Gensuke626
27-03-2008, 21:46
Agreed! And :wtf: is "cool" anyway?

When something is just below room temperature, I believe it is considered cool.

Spell_of_Destruction
27-03-2008, 23:11
Even though I'm only 24 I think I've reached a point at which I'll never leave this hobby. I've played for about 11 years now but during that time the amount of time I have invested has fluctuated dramatically.

I remember my last year at school. Two of my friends who played 40k left the previous year. Others who stayed grew out of it. I wanted to carry on but I basically dropped the gaming side of the hobby for well over a year in favour of other pursuits. I picked it back up again at Uni and now I play as frequently as I ever have.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. It sounds like you're still at school - you might want to concentrate on enjoying other things for a while. If the hobby is in your blood you'll return when the time is right.

Inquisitor_Eljer
27-03-2008, 23:21
I won't stop playing...but I don't frequent the local stores much myself. My local are mostly young teenagers and I've had some bad experiences with them:

A) Listening
B) Not getting distracted A LOT
C) Knocking over my models very frequently
D) Picking up models off the table without asking during a game

The list goes on...I know that bad manners aren't speficially related to the younger croud, but I do believe that an older croud is more mature and has more respect for my figures and the hobby in general.

That basically made my decision and our local 'old-guys' group game in our basements on our own gaming tables with our own terrain and no real hassles from various onlookers. I find I enjoy the hobby more when I don't have to swat hands away from the table and tell the same person 'No' or 'It's your turn' multiple times. And my local GW store is the worst of all...it's too small...it's always packed, the store staff is 'pushy' and the croud is rude.

Basement play is the way to go in my opinion.

Adra
28-03-2008, 00:44
i quit at about 14 years old. just other things took over but i went back when i was 19 and now at 24 im pretty sure im gonna be doing it from now on. true i havent played a game in about 9 months, and my hobby has boiled down to creating cool concept armies with style playing a much bigger role than content, but i still love 40k.

i think a few people are a bit harsh on you for being worried what people think....i mean welcome to the club....who doesnt worry about that. i did when i was 15 and i do a bit now (hardly at all but a little) but eventually you will just realise that you shouldnt have to apologise to friends for doing something harmless that you like.

G.

take19
28-03-2008, 11:57
Thanks for all the replys ^^ - i'll be sure not to sell any of the models I have.

tsutek
28-03-2008, 13:57
One more thing: A friend of mine, abt. 15 years older than me, was really pleased to hear I restarted the hobby.. said that he used to do a lot of modelling when he was younger.. and then he said the magic words:

"It's a good hobby... keeps you out of trouble!" :)

Kriegsherr
28-03-2008, 14:10
Yeah, as has been said, you'll be back...
I also did not play for two years because of sports and school, but I got back at the age of 20 (I guess) and haven't stopped playing for 8 years...

I know some people in your age like to pick on anything and anyone they see as "not cool".... the same people will stare in wonder ten years later when they see you're still playing the same old "geeky" game and have fun in your liesure time while they themselve still just hang around, but are now bored by doing "nothing" (aka "act cool") in their free time for over ten years... some might even ask you to help them get into the game ;)

Don't despair, and certainly don't throw away your minis... you'll find players everywhere (I found a lot in university, and there was even one in my capoeira group... )

MrLiy
29-03-2008, 00:37
I already said my part in an earlier post, but I figure I would add some other stuff...

I recently started taking my minis to work so can paint at lunch (when you spend from 6 to 6 in the office you need to budget time.)

At first I got a couple of stares, and some people almost tried to poke fun, but everyone in the office knows I'm a strong athlete, and have a good social life. So mostly they just walk away.

If your buds in the rugby team give you trouble pay it back to them in field.

RexTalon
29-03-2008, 09:37
Don't let "the man" keep you down. I'm 33 and I still play. I've been playing for quite some time, and I'm not about to quit. I've often wondered what I would do with my "free time" but I really don't let 40k take up that much.

I would say, if you're thinking about quitting, just sock all of your stuff away for a while. That way you are giving yourself the ability to change your mind.

aberrant_unc
30-03-2008, 16:40
Thanks for all the replys ^^ - i'll be sure not to sell any of the models I have.

Thats all you need to know. I took about a 4 year break from 40k because my life had changed, I was hanging around different people, and I was in a really tiny apartment where I didn't have space to paint without crowding my girlfriend.

BUT I was smart enough to keep the miniatures, even though at the time I thought I would never play again. NOW I suddenly have the time, space, and money again and I am SOOO HAPPY I kept all of my figures.

40kdhs
30-03-2008, 21:20
Warhammer 40k and fantasy game is good for everybody because it brings 'old' and 'young' together. I find that it's hillarious to see a 'mature' man roll dices with a kid.

The only downside of this game is you don't often see 'female' players. If you don't like to play a game at a GW store, you can enroll in a 'league' because you will find a lot of 'mature' people there.

I go to a GW store to play games or socialize with other people. Yes, we have 'lunch' or 'dinner' together. Sometimes, a Pizza Hut guy delivers pizza to us at the store.

BajsArne
30-03-2008, 22:21
You might want to consider using less of 'these'. I'm getting Dr Evil vibes.

nedsta
30-03-2008, 22:47
LOL 40kdhs your the 'diet coke' of evil :D

Eldartank
31-03-2008, 02:03
Don't really know what to say...
I play nearly exclusively with my mates who are pretty much the same age as me.

I would like to say, that no matter what age you are, keep doing whatever interests you.

But, having said that, I am 40 now. Yeah, still playing with toy soldiers!!!!!!!!
I always have done, why should I stop???

I'll tell you why.

That kind of knocked me on my backside.

I've been in the shop a couple of times since, I used to be a regular.

Tbh, I have no idea what the moral of this story is, but I'll be ********d if some **** stops me from doing what I want with crap like that.
If I had the oppurtunity again, I would drag him out into the street...and would still be inside for it.

I don't know, I'm a bit p****d off now, but if you like the game, stick with it.

Wow.... I'm just.... Wow..... If a GW employee (or ANY store employee of ANY business) ever publicly slandered and insulted me like that, ESPECIALLY in such an outrageously vicious way, I would have his job. I would immediately demand to see his manager and complain, and I would also immediately call GW headquarters and raise hell. And I wouldn't rule out a lawsuit if I wasn't totally satisfied with the result of my complaining.

Gov
31-03-2008, 04:32
To explain my point, I think I need to go to squire 1.
I started playing war games at the age of seven. The store manager tried not to let me play as the store had a min age of 8. I still talk my way in.
My school had a rule that stop any one under the age of 12 from playing (dam GW and its safety labels, I mean, at seven I knew how to use knives, How didn't?) got past that.
I started on a 2$ NZ a week budget. At the time it was 3NZD to the pound, Skaven took long time...
At 11 I moved to a small town to live with my father. He then got married and has not played me since.
I had not contact with another war-game till age 13.
As it was a small town, War gamming was not even heard of, and I did not fit in at all. None of my step sibling had any interest in the hobby.
Step mother kept trying to get me to get rid of all of my stuff.
At 16 I was kick out of home. I lost the lot.
At 17 I started again from scratch, now in 40k, I joined the Wellington Warlords.
At 19, my current age, I flew to my first out of town event, coming 16 out of 48.

In the longs and shorts of it, if you want to, you can keep playing. You will have set backs, but these can be worked around.

Mates come and go, but the skills that you learn from this hobby will take you places. Believe me.

Don’t loose faith, get your army together, walk straight into the vet’s nights and give hell.

If that does not work for you, last years national champion was 16.

Plastic Rat
31-03-2008, 04:38
Good story... just dear lordy dude, I'd have thought that by age 19 you'd learn to spell or at least figure out how to use spellchecking software. That was painful to read.

Melikai Of IronFrost
31-03-2008, 04:55
Wow i admire all of you guys. Helpin out anyone in need thats why i joined this forum. Ya see i too have been playin for awhile but unfortunely i dont hae a GW near me where i can battle other ppl but luckly i have my 3 other bros and they too are into all this so i can keep back and play with them i am even thinkin of openin my own GW where i live to get more poeple involve (+ to have more victims) So i just want to say you guys are all great.

Patriarch
31-03-2008, 12:57

Demand Manager. Demand sacking. Head office if no joy. Threat with lawyer of still no joy. Sue for defamation if still no joy.

BajsArne
31-03-2008, 13:07
You dont think he might have been joking?

Killgore
31-03-2008, 13:31

said in a public place like that around parents and children if that was a joke then it was in incredably poor taste, especialy considering the job role of the employee

personaly i dont game with young people, 16 is probaly the youngest i would game against, luckily in the wargaming crowd that frequent my local the age range varies from late teenage to 40's, which suits me fine

to the OP i would have a little brake from gaming and finish painting your armys, or have a word with the GW manager to allow you to participate in veterans night, mabey even seek out a local indy gaming store or club?

frogprince
31-03-2008, 14:53
The only downside of this game is you don't often see 'female' players.

My Fiancee plays. Badly, but at least she tries. because we both play, i have the feeling we will be still doing this when we are old and grey.

i mean, that's what kids are for, right? someone else to play 40k with?

40kdhs
31-03-2008, 18:38
You might want to consider using less of 'these'. I'm getting Dr Evil vibes.

it's a bad habit.:D

i mean, that's what kids are for, right? someone else to play 40k with?

I prefer not to play a game with a kid because it's not tactically challenging and he doesn't know the rule.

BajsArne
31-03-2008, 19:48
Tst, I have met plenty of adults who are clueless about the rules.

40kdhs
31-03-2008, 19:51
Tst, I have met plenty of adults who are clueless about the rules.

Very true.!

Polonius
31-03-2008, 20:17
I don't know if this was covered, but this issue pops up from time to time. I know that at that age everything seems incredibly important and incredibly long in duration, but just stash your stuff, paint a little when you feel like it, and pull the stuff out when you want to play again. Polonius' first rule of the GW hobby: never sell painted models unless you know for a fact you'll never want to use them again.

Hollopoint
31-03-2008, 21:35
I find it fascinating how so many people seem to drift away from this hobby for a while only to return to it with renewed enthusiasm and vigour. I did a very similar thing, I played when I was young and then drifted away from it when I was around 16/17, although I always had an occasional check in on websites or through White dwarf.

Iím 22 going on 23 and even though I donít rule-out the possibility of another break along the road I feel as though Iím bound to this hobby in one shape or form for the rest of my life. I suppose I donít have anything new to add other than to echo the previous comments of other posters.

-Lay of the gaming for a bit and concentrate on the painting and conversions until youíre old enough for Vet nights. I suppose you could have a talk with your manager about starting a bit early but I know from experience that older people involved with the hobby can be a little touchy about their time being encroached upon by "strange young folk". :p

-Make sure to also spend time and effort on other hobbies and interests. When people talk about social isolation and embarrassment during high school years it always seemed to be the case that their lives were only war games. Moderation is the key to life and if you do things to much, not only do you run the risk of burning yourself out but you limit the interactions that should be experienced at your age. Meeting girls (or boys), going out to drink and playing sport are just a few of the many things that you should experience. Itís not about one or the other; itís about combining both to achieve a middle ground that will keep you happy. :)

Patriarch
01-04-2008, 12:28

I'm sure he was. But *IF* I was going to make an incredibly bad-taste joke like that:

a) I wouldn't say it in public or earshot of anyone liable to be offended (which is more or less everyone)
b) I would be VERY sure of my target, i.e. they would have to be a good friend I would already know very well for a long time. By the poster's reaction, obviously the redshirt couldn't have been sure.
c) I wouldn't say it at work to a customer. Not if I expected to keep my job.

If some random person or casual acqaintance I barely know said it about me, I'd have slapped him in front of the whole store. We'd see how funny that was.

Back OT, I've no problem with kids filling the GW stores for gaming, which is what they are for - I did that myself at that age. But I'd never play a game there, it's hard enough getting round the shop to the stuff I'm trying to buy.