PDA

View Full Version : 3500 Orcs and Goblins 'Ard Boyz!!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-03-2008, 06:49
Alrighty, here's the deal. I've never played in a tournament before in my life. I've never played Fantasy with anyone besides the three buddies I helped get into the game. But the 'Ard Boyz tournament sounds like a lot of fun, and it's free! Why wouldn't I want to get in on the action? So, I've scrabbled together a list. I have some pretty good luck with my 2000 point lists, but I've never tried anything of this size before, and I know the tournament will be chock-full of the Velveetiest army lists in the world - that's a given, becuase there are no army composition scores. So please, tear this list apart and help me become a Warhammer Fantasy champion!!

Lords:
Skarsnik and Gobbla 205

Black Orc Warboss 454
Wyvern, Heavy Armor, Shield, Waaagh! Cleaver

Heroes:
Goblin Big Boss 129
Gigantic Spider, Light Armor, Shield, Tricksey Trinket, Bastabber's Blade

Night Goblin Big Boss 126
Great CAve Squig, Light Armor, Shield, Spear, Wollopa's One Hit Wunda, Brimstone Bauble

Night Goblin Shaman 135
Level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Troops:
Night Goblins x51 (for Skarsnik) 334
Spears, Full Command, Nets, Fanatics x3

Night Goblins x49 (for Shaman) 317
Spears, Full Command, Nets, Fanatics x3

Orc Boyz x40 270
Shields, Full Command

Orc Big 'Uns x40 470
Additional Choppa, Full Command

Wolf Riders x10 164
Musician, Boss, Spears, Short Bows

Spider Riders x5 70
Bows

Spider Riders x5 70
Bows

Special:
Night Goblin Squig Hoppers x10 150

Goblin Rock Lobber 70

Goblin Spear Chukka x2 70

Rare:
Giant 205

Stone Trolls x3 180

Doom Diver Catapult 80

Total: 3499

So... as a reflection of my orcy nature, I don't necessarily have lot of tactics in mind. Skarsnik will be able to fudge up a lot of plans simply through his "Sneaky Schemes" ability. I would love for my opponents' stationary units to have to "move in" from the table edge! The lord on the wyvern is for flying behind enemy lines and causing devastation. The two goblin bosses on the Gigantic Spider and Great Cave Squig are also for devastation, because most opponents plan on heroes that stay with units and fight in ranks. The spider boss and other riders will be able to move around and possibly get flank/rear charges. Giants are amazing, I've never used trolls before but heard they're good... I don't have a heck of a lot of tactics, there will just be so much on the field I have no idea how things are going to work.

Tear this list apart. Tell me what works and what doesn't. Help me be the best Warboss I can be!!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-03-2008, 18:09
So... no one has any sort of advice for a first-time tournament goer? Not even any fellow greenskin players? I need all the help I can get!

Sangria
27-03-2008, 20:39
More rock lobbers! I love rock lobbers, they make the shooting fase a lot more fun. (with bolt throwers it's always "damn, i missed")

If you can split the wolf riders into 2 units of 5 with musician. With suck huge blocks of infantry you don't need the 2nd rank of wolf riders. Also you have 2 units, so that's twice the chance that one of them actually does something :D

The only thing i'm worried about is a strong magic army. But then again 40 big uns should stand up to most things^^

Sarael
28-03-2008, 08:11
If you cut your infantry blocks to 30, you could include a 3rd unit of night gobbos w/ fanatics. Also, I second the suggestion to make the wolf riders 2 units of 5. If you don't want any more infantry blocks, then cut them back anyway to include more special choices, like 4 more spear chukkaz, or a block of squigs.

The huge units will be difficult to move around the table and will have enormous flanks to be charged.

You don't have much antimagic.

When I played O&G, I ran a gobbo BB on spider w/ the LD10 crown, in my unit of trolls. They never let me down, except when I rolled boxcars. Our local O&G guy runs them between his blocks of gobbos to prevent animosity outbreaks, and to rush ahead to pin units in place for a fanatics bomb (regen is a good thing to have when you could be hit by a fanatic).

Giants are utterly reliable against most ranked infantry w/o GWs. Anything that gets a lot of attacks or which have S5 or higher should be avoided though. He will crush most core infantry (and usually smash through cavalry in a turn or two), but specials and rares could be a problem for him.