PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Juggernaut

Kalist
27-03-2008, 11:18
So I've been toying with this build, let me know what you think:

Vampire Lord 455 points

+1 magic level

Powers: Dread Knight (Lance, Heavy armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare - 2+ armour save)
Red Fury (For each wound the vampire causes it gets to make an immediate attack for free - does not compound upon itself)
Walking Death (+1 combat resolution)

Equipment: Dreadlance (Attacks with this weapon hit automatically)
Staff of Damnation (When successfully cast, models in a unit get a free attack)

This gives you a vampire lord with 4 ST5 attacks that hit automatically, and potentially 4 more free attacks if each one wounds. If you use the staff of damnation on his unit, he gets another free attack which hits automatically, triggering Red Fury again if it wounds. Your armour save is 2+ and you have toughness of 5.

Imagine throwing this guy into a unit of Blood Knights. He'd get a 4+ ward save vs range as well as 'Look out, Sir!'. The extra mage level would give him an extra power dice for IoN on his Knights or to danse them toward an enemy.

The idea would be to run at an enemy (any enemy) and hack them to peices, overrunning into another enemy and keeping up with the mayhem. Challenges wouldn't be a bad idea either, as your 4 free str 5 attacks (plus a potential 4 more if the first 4 land) should be enough to deal with most foes.

This is just a beastly vamp that I think would be a lot of fun to see running around the battlefield. What do you guys think? Monster, or cannon fodder?

tom1354788
27-03-2008, 11:21
actually its strengh 7

Kalist
27-03-2008, 11:28
How come it's strength 7?

ICEMANQ
27-03-2008, 11:29
Stop posting 'dem stats, boy!

But yes, it's been well discussed.

Big point sink of uber death.

Kalist
27-03-2008, 11:33
ICEMANQ Have you tried this strat? Does it work in practice or is it just a fun idea in theory?

daemonkin
27-03-2008, 12:00
On the charge its Str 7 because lance gives +2 Str bonus.

D.

Kalist
27-03-2008, 12:18
Good god, imagine the mayhem that a charge from this unit would cause. Whatever you attacked would pretty much break and run (if they valued their lives).

daemonkin
27-03-2008, 12:28
Bear in mind that the unit you are referring to use will be quite possibly 1k points + and is Frenzied. A smart opponent will just avoid or throw in a bait unit or 2. Really cheap way of removing from the battle.

D.

Braad
27-03-2008, 14:30
Good. I'd like to see this guy being stuffed down the pants of my giant.

Uberunits are nice, but last weekend both my cannon and my giant proved that they can be taken care of very easily. Don't trust on it too much.

ObiWan
27-03-2008, 15:16
Unless somehow your giant charged, I don't see how he could possibly do that.

daemonkin
27-03-2008, 15:18
I hate giants! Bloody things just go through my vamps. If they don't stuff your vamp down their trousers they go mental and turn your lovely new corpse cart into matchsticks.

D.

theunwantedbeing
27-03-2008, 15:25
I watched this guy get sniped by jezzails on turn 1...he never even got to move.(he was on a dragon)

But yes it's burtal when it hits something.
+9 to combat res easily enough.

Red fury tends to be the standard power to give to your vamp lord to make him rediculously powerful.(helps if you roll stupidly high all the time as well)

wibble
27-03-2008, 15:33
to avoid the risk of losing one huge unit, how about this:

Still have a unit of Blood Knights, with some kind of Banner to protect them

Then for the Vamp:
Hellsteed
Flayed Hauberk
Dreadlance
Red Fury
Walking Death
Supernatural Horror

Still a 2+ save, still the red fury and dreadlance combo, but now he can fly and cause terror! slightly less of a points sink too i think.
Although whether this kind of thing works in practice is a whole other matter.
i think i'll stick to a magic heavy list to support things like Blood Knights rather than sticking my lord directly into the fray

isidril93
27-03-2008, 15:39
that is stong but i think it will be usefull in large battle
if it is taken out early in the game, which is very possible you wont be able to recover

Jack of Blades
27-03-2008, 15:49
Yes, it's good, just seen the same setup about 3492 times before :)

Spirit
27-03-2008, 17:11
See i was looking at

Lvl3
Hellsteed
Red fury
Forbidden lore (to get the flaming sword from the fire lore)

Then either 4+ ward and stupid or 3+ ward against shooting. And hand of dust. (i see the wristbands of black cheese being more use full personally)

So your vamp hits a unit, if he gets the bound spell off they take 2d6 S5 hits, then in combat, he flicks on his sword and does untold damage... 2+ to hit with something like 7 attacks? and he gets more attacks with wounds.

If you don't cast the spell, then you have a sword of battle or a sword of might to make up for it, you should still win the combat. And the amount of dice they must have used stopping both bound and a large casting of flaming sword, will mean you can probably get a varghulf vanhells'ed into the combat with him.

Good luck stopping that, and good luck fleeing from a 20" charge.

Add some bats to be thrown in front as both a screen and something closer than 19" away to ensure they cant flee.

Adolphus
27-03-2008, 19:45
he's definataly a powerhouse, but after having played a few games, I have to say I prefer having my general near the center of my army for max efficientcy. That and I usually play against dwarves so a lone character tends to have to dodge nasty rune encrusted bolts.

Lordmonkey
28-03-2008, 03:40
Good. I'd like to see this guy being stuffed down the pants of my giant.

What kind of giant stuff a bloodthirsty vampire down it's trousers? Does he even want children?

Lord Dan
28-03-2008, 04:48
I tried this guy out in a recent 4,000 point game. Since I had two, I could basically do what I wanted with my non-general Vampire Lord. It's fun to use Vampire lords the way we all want to, without fear of them dying and the army crumbling.

The Boomerang

Vampire Lord
Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Avatar of Death
Carstein Ring, Talisman of the Lycni, Sword of Battle

Kapow.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
28-03-2008, 10:19
hes not to bad assuming he survives getting accross the battlefield

Braad
28-03-2008, 15:35
Unless somehow your giant charged, I don't see how he could possibly do that.

Oh, it happens.
How? No-one knows.
But it happens.

(Merely pointing to the fact that there are ways to kill a super-trooper, no matter how well protected. And since in O&G armies everything can happen, this situation is actually more likely than you can imagine.)

darknar
29-03-2008, 22:24
The Boomerang

Vampire Lord

Kapow.

oh this vampire lord is awsome. for a quick upgrade. lose the sword of bbatle and go for 5 attacks with 2 hand weapons. take an enchanted sheild on the second boomarang attack use that so he stays alive longer for more attacks.

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 22:51
I tried this guy out in a recent 4,000 point game. Since I had two, I could basically do what I wanted with my non-general Vampire Lord. It's fun to use Vampire lords the way we all want to, without fear of them dying and the army crumbling.

The Boomerang

Vampire Lord

Kapow.

Hmm... perhaps in a unit with ghouls and another vampire with ghoulkin? :evilgrin:

*Ponders 3000-pt game*

Clan_Czar
30-03-2008, 22:23

The Boomerang

Vampire Lord

Kapow.

That looks like a great combo. Was he in a unit or by himself?

crimslain
31-03-2008, 15:47
How about this combo Ive been thinking about using for the 3500 point Ard'Boyz tourny:
Vampire Lord Not sure on magic lvl yet, but probably lvl 3
Powers: Red Fury, Dreadknight, am thinking about Infinite Hatred, beguile, or walking dead
Items: Blood Drinker, Nightshroud, Wristbands of Black gold.

Putting him in a unit of 5 Blood Knights, Full command, Royal Standard of Strogi. (gives Hatred) This banner is the reason Im thinking about not giving him Infinite Hatred. He gets a 3+ save vs. missle attacks, in C.C., anyone wishing to attack him, goes on Int. 1 and loses all benefits of charging.. With Red fury, you shouldnt have to worry about anything attacking back. Use to to accept/make any challenges the unit faces. And blooddrinker would heal the unit back up to full, usually every combat. I plan on screening them with 2 units of 5 Direwolves, as Im sure they will attract alot of attention. I know it is an exspensive unit/combo, but I dotn think there is anything that could stand up to it for 1 turn except a hugh unit of zombie, like 80 strong. But if I get myself caught in something like that, its my own fault:)

Scythe
31-03-2008, 16:12
I don't really see the point of adding a vampire like that to a unit of blood knights. After all, blood knights are powerfull enough to smash anything up by themselves, without the help of a character. It is kind of overkill. A flank charge could set you back almost 1000 pts.

crimslain
31-03-2008, 19:03
I don't really see the point of adding a vampire like that to a unit of blood knights. After all, blood knights are powerfull enough to smash anything up by themselves, without the help of a character. It is kind of overkill. A flank charge could set you back almost 1000 pts.

Well its actually closer to 800 points. And the added benefit to it, is that the Vamp. Lord has Blooddrinker, which would restore lost wounds to the highly expensive unit of knights, hopefully making them very hard to kill, over than shooting. Also, the lord can leave the unit after he gets to the other side of the board and wreak havoc then too. Also, I thought killing units outright was what you wanted in Warhammer... Causes panic in near by units + overrun, although the latter isnt always good.:skull:

explorator
31-03-2008, 19:38
How about this combo Ive been thinking about using for the 3500 point Ard'Boyz tourny:
Vampire Lord Not sure on magic lvl yet, but probably lvl 3
Powers: Red Fury, Dreadknight, am thinking about Infinite Hatred, beguile, or walking dead
Items: Blood Drinker, Nightshroud, Wristbands of Black gold.

Why go for Dreadknight if you are taking magic armor and a magic weapon? Seems like a waste. You could just buy your lord a mount and use the bloodline points for something else. Blood Drinker and Red Fury is the key.

Joezombie
31-03-2008, 21:55
Red Fury, Forbiden Lore (Shadow) + Blood Drinker, Crimson Gem of Lahmia, Talisman of Licny, pluss whatever u like

This guy charges a squishy unit, during the Magi phase steals a wound, gives up 3 wounds to get 3 power dice, then.. well u get the picture. As long as hes in combat he can keep stealing wounds to get even more power dice.

If everything goes perfectly he gets a whoping extra 8 power dice on turn six

crimslain
01-04-2008, 12:57
Thats a good point, didnt really even think of that combo. Kinda like it too. This is the first time that I can remember having so many option/combos with an army. Really nice for a change. With the unit having the Royal standard of Strogi ( Hate enemies first round), do i really need to consider Infinite Hatred? He has to be mounted to join the unit of Knights doesnt he?

Scythe
01-04-2008, 16:41
Well its actually closer to 800 points. And the added benefit to it, is that the Vamp. Lord has Blooddrinker, which would restore lost wounds to the highly expensive unit of knights, hopefully making them very hard to kill, over than shooting. Also, the lord can leave the unit after he gets to the other side of the board and wreak havoc then too. Also, I thought killing units outright was what you wanted in Warhammer... Causes panic in near by units + overrun, although the latter isnt always good.:skull:

Yes... killing units. ;) I'd rather dump the vampire in another unit, and have two units able to tear anything apart. Twice the effect imho. Still, that is a bit of personal opinion naturally.

crimslain
01-04-2008, 19:49
i understand, let me finish about my other part of the army. i also, have 9 Black Knights lead by a Wight King, with balefire spike, as well as 2 black coaches. 2 units 5 Dire wolves (screen Knights and 1 black coach), 1 unit 10 direwolves, and a Vamp. with talisman of Lycani and hunter in the dark and supernatural horror. I really dont like the thought of putting a Vamp. Lord with a unit of Direwolves, I dont care how big it may be, way to risky. Also, I was thinking about using a Varghulf instead of a Black coach, but for 25 points more the Black coach can do so many more things.

Scythe
02-04-2008, 10:14
How many points are we talking about here? Seems like a definitely hard hitting army, which is an interesting change from the infantry based VC armies... (btw, what do you have to fullfill core requirements? wolves sadly don't count anymore...)

crimslain
02-04-2008, 13:38
3500 points, and yes I have fulfilled the core troop organization (4+)

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-04-2008, 14:10
Vampire Lord

Nightmare
Extra Spell Level
Red Fury
Forbidden Lore (Lore of Fire) - Casts Sword of Flaming Ruin
Walach's Bloody Hauberk
Hand of Dust

crimslain
02-04-2008, 18:52
Hand of dust would truly be a wasted of points with you read the first thread on what unit I was putting him in. In my opinion only...

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-04-2008, 19:14
I was just creating the most hard hitting, badass Vampire I could think of. I don't think its worth putting a tricked out Vampire Lord with Blood Knights. They can kill everything pretty much without that anyway...

crimslain
03-04-2008, 19:56
yes, but the real reason I put the Lord with them, is for Blooddrinker, every wound he causes, he or the unit gains a model back. I think keeping my highest point unit at max. pretty much the entire game is a good idea. for 3 reasons, 1. increasing the kill value the unit has. 2. the psyhco. effect it has on youre opponent. 3. Keeping close to 800 points out of your opponent victory point total...

Gorog Irongut
03-04-2008, 20:34
Then why don't you have a thrall with dread knight, blooddrinker, and anything else you feel like putting on him. He'll do almost as good of a job and he'll be atleast twice as cheap.

crimslain
04-04-2008, 13:22
Because I think Red Fury is a must as well. I know its overkill by a long shot. But I plan on using the Vamp.Lord as a challenge nut. when I charge or someone else charges me, I will use him to accept or make a challenge. He should easily kill his opponent, as he will always strike first, with red fury and the hatred banner, he should do atleast 3-4 wounds per round.

Lord Dan
04-04-2008, 16:04
Oh, there are plenty of awesome character executioners. Here's my favorite:

Vampire Lord, Lv. 3
Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Beguile
Nightshroud, Crown of the Damned, Sword of Kings, Cursed Book

I played a game against a chaos lord on a dragon. He charged me, and then told me how many attacks he was getting after issuing a challenge. I informed him of nightshroud, which meant I went first. He scoffed, and said it was no matter. I then told him the weapon skill of him and his dragon were 1 for the round. Rolled to hit, got 4 hits with hatred, and got to reroll to wound him with beguile. I killing "blowed" him twice, and he failed his miserable ward save twice.

Since it was a challenge and I technically did 3 wounds, I got 3 attacks more which I put on the dragon, wounding it once. With WS1, to dragon didn't do anything in return, and broke from combat resolution.

NONE SHALL PASS.

Scythe
07-04-2008, 18:13
Because I think Red Fury is a must as well. I know its overkill by a long shot. But I plan on using the Vamp.Lord as a challenge nut. when I charge or someone else charges me, I will use him to accept or make a challenge. He should easily kill his opponent, as he will always strike first, with red fury and the hatred banner, he should do atleast 3-4 wounds per round.

He is 'only' S5 mind. Characters with a good armour save (1+ or 2+), possibly with reroll or ward save as well will not keel over death at all most likely. It also reduces the amount of extra attacks you get trough red fury this way (as you only get extra attacks for unsaved wounds). For a challenge beast, I'd probably take something else.

I played a game against a chaos lord on a dragon. He charged me, and then told me how many attacks he was getting after issuing a challenge. I informed him of nightshroud, which meant I went first. He scoffed, and said it was no matter. I then told him the weapon skill of him and his dragon were 1 for the round. Rolled to hit, got 4 hits with hatred, and got to reroll to wound him with beguile. I killing "blowed" him twice, and he failed his miserable ward save twice.

Since it was a challenge and I technically did 3 wounds, I got 3 attacks more which I put on the dragon, wounding it once. With WS1, to dragon didn't do anything in return, and broke from combat resolution.

I am unsure wether this is correct. The book literally states: "enemy models are reduced to WS 1 when rolling to hit the bearer" (emphasis mine). From this, it seems you don't get any advantage on your own to hit rolls.