PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point tomb kings help needed

kris.sherriff
27-03-2008, 17:42
Hi all,
I was thinking of starting a Tomb Kings army as they dont seem to be used to often around here.
This is the list I was thinking of running what do you all think?

Khalida @ 420 Pts

Liche Priest @ 165 Pts
Hierophant
Neferra's Plaques
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest @ 165 Pts
Hieratic Jar
Dispel Scroll

Liche Priest @ 165 Pts
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

19 Skeleton Warriors @ 230 Pts
Std, Mus, Blessings of the Asp, Banner of the Undying Legion

10 Skeleton Warriors @ 100 Pts
Blessings of the Asp

10 Skeleton Warriors @ 100 Pts
Blessings of the Asp

4 Tomb Swarm @ 180 Pts

Tomb Scorpion @ 85 Pts

Tomb Scorpion @ 85 Pts

Tomb Scorpion @ 85 Pts

Screaming Skull Catapult @ 110 Pts
Skulls of the Foe

Screaming Skull Catapult @ 110 Pts
Skulls of the Foe

Total Roster Cost: 2000

I planned on using the army in one of two ways.
Against an army that is going to close on me fast I would use the swarm set up in front of Khalida's unit of 19 skeletons as a speed bump letting them reform into a combat block and the hirophan can then fly out of the unit. The Scorpions would either hang back to help out in the ensuing combat or move forward to march block and threaten any smaller units.
Against an army that is going to sit back or advance slower I would think about using ICFB to take out any war machines or to slow up any scary infantry blocks with a combined rear charge.

I was worried about the size of the units and the lack of a real counter punch but I was not sure what to do about it without drastically altering the feel of the army.

Kris

Sterling
27-03-2008, 17:57
there are a few bits of advice... I have seen TK be successful with light chariot armies, but I have not seen any other build that worked consistently. I have heard that a list like yours can work, but I haven't actually ever seen it work.

A word of caution... SSC's are a pain in the butt to build and keep together. If I were doing it, I would buy an Empire mortar or Bretonian Trebuchet (not that the treb. is an easy model either) and convert it to an SSC with a couple skeleton crewmen and egypty bits.

SonofUltramar
27-03-2008, 21:33
Having built a SSC i have to agree that they are a pain but they are worth it in game so i'd pin it to heck and back as well as breaking out the GS to help it hold together. As for the army itself well i've not seen anyone use for about 5 years and it wasn't pretty. You can't keep the feel of the army if you want to add a significant counter punch but i'd be tempted to add a small unit of Tomb Guard or Ushabti but not really sure what you could drop?

Xavier
27-03-2008, 21:45
take what I say with as much salt as you like, since I'll just be saying what I'd do for my play style and not what will probably work well for you... Because I'm just mean like that ;)

First off, do you really need a special character, I thought better of you :(

You seem to have gone very heavy on magic defence, that is to say, 5 dice and 3 scrolls, at 2000 points it's not needed that badly and with Tomb Kings there are other things you need to spend the points on.

Your list seems slightly bowline-esque, maybe because that's what your actually going for... go figure... But, have you thought about just using the Scorpions by themselves as combat units in their own right, running all three up a flank could be amusing. But would require your priests to keep closer to them than you might like.

You really need Carrion, I hope I spelled that right, the potential to get a 40" 'charge' in one turn is to good to pass up, though war machines might not concern you that much, you could still do with the march blockers etc.

In closing food for thought, have you considered the casket? Have you thought quite how your going to deal any real damage to things besides your catapults, because the harsh reality of it is you will lose them at some point, somehow, and when you do, your more or less screwed, and toughness 2 swarms will only go so far ;)

kris.sherriff
27-03-2008, 22:03
I wanted Khalida so that all of the bows are poisoned and it means that an undead archer army has half a chance of working ;)

I was considering taking an icon bearer instead of one of the LP but then I would lose an incantation?

I had not even considered Carrion tbh but I will have a play about and see what I can fit in.
I had considered using the Scorpions in the way you suggest and in some games it may be the way to go, I don't have a fixed plan for them and they are there because they are so versatile.

Damage dealing wise, that is one of my concerns, if I cant panic/wear down/hold up enough of the enemy army Khalida and here unit are not going to be able to deal with it but like I said not sure what to drop to give me more punch.

Would really like some ushabti though.

Kris

Xavier
27-03-2008, 22:07
Poison is overrated :p

I wouldn't bother with an Icon Bearer unless you want the standard of the sands? (the one that lets you keep a unit hidden, then 'summon' it.

If your set on a bowline, you could include the casket... somehow, that would give you at least some help on the magic defence side, (-1 for to enemy casting rolls) and means that ultimately they need to come towards you, which they will be doing anyway, and adds yet another incantation to your army, and against some armies, especially the new slightly worse off for leadership undead, it could work well. (If it affects immune to psychology things, which I'm almost certain it does...)

SonofUltramar
27-03-2008, 22:13
(If it affects immune to psychology things, which I'm almost certain it does...)

oh it does indeed, hence why it was always better than the Banshee howl thing from the old VC book:)

kris.sherriff
27-03-2008, 22:26
but is it worth droping a SSC for?

SonofUltramar
27-03-2008, 22:37
but is it worth droping a SSC for?

you'd have to drop more than a SSC to get a Casket, you'd probably have to drop a Scorpion or at least one base from the swarms as well?

I think it could be well worth it if you had it in addition to the two SSC's but only one means that if your opponent gets off one magic missile it means they can effectively knock out all your heavy hitting artillery then you are left with a static casket which could be very vulnerable to any kind of combat?

Xavier
27-03-2008, 22:44
Yea, comparing it to the old banshee scream is where I got the notion it affected them too... (Think that sentence makes sense...)

Look at it this way, you might only have 1 Catapult, but you can effectively use it twice, so still technically have two ;)

The catapults can only really hurt 1 unit a turn, (shot) where as the casket can hurt anyone who can see it, far better in my view.

Remember with the Catapults, as long as you still have a crewman, or the machine itself, you can still revive the missing element of the war machine, so it's not as bad as '1 magic missile' taking it out of the game completely. Though it is a valid point, so like most war machines, protect it :)

kris.sherriff
27-03-2008, 22:49
yes but if I have two SSC's I can potently panic 4 units in one turn considering Khalida casts an unstoppable smiting every turn I only need to get it off once with the other 3 lp for the 4 shots a turn.

Xavier
27-03-2008, 22:53
That all comes down to guess work and scattering though, and has the potential to misfire.

Casket does indeed come down to 'dice rolls' as well, but it is far more, 'easy' to use, and potentially as, if not more, devastating.

Since Khalida already lets you fire one twice, that frees up your other priests for other incantations, no?

havoc626
28-03-2008, 00:11
Good list. I say with the Tomb Swarms that you drop 3 of them, and then get about 5 Carrion. I find that one Tomb Swarm is enough to kill a warmachine crew, and having more than one is more expensive than a Tomb Scorpion, which is a special, but better. You could just drop 2 of the Tomb Swarms, and get a 4th Tomb Scorpoin, but I agree with Xavier in thinking that having the carrion would be useful as charge blockers and war machine hunters

kris.sherriff
28-03-2008, 21:13
How about this?

Khalida @ 420 Pts

Liche Priest @ 165 Pts
Hierophant
Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantation
Cloak of the Dunes

Liche Priest @ 140 Pts
Hieratic Jar @ [25] Pts

Liche Priest @ 140 Pts
Dispel Scroll @ [25] Pts