PDA

View Full Version : Declaring magic weapons

Styles
28-03-2008, 11:23
I played an empire player last night with my vampire counts. I had quite a few ethreal units, twice in the game they faced empire heros. My opponent said that they had "magic" weapons, but said he did not have to tell me which ones unless he used their special ability!

Surley if you are useing the weapon you have to declare which magic item it is when it is used, not just when a special ability of the weapon is used?

Turned out one of the items was the biteing blade and the other the hellstrom mace thing, as he attacked other units with the characters and used the abilities and declared then what they were, as before then all i knew was that they were magical.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
28-03-2008, 11:28
you normally reveal an item when you use it

i think its bad form him just saying i have a magic weapon which im hitting you with....but im not going to tell you what it is

i would say if he uses the weapon, he has to say what the weapon is even if he does not use the ability

Lordsaradain
28-03-2008, 11:28
If he's using magic items he has to reveal which item it is as he uses it AFAIK. Also sounds kinda fishy that he just said they have "magic" weapons as soon as he contacts your ethereal units, and then when he's facing something different he decides which weapons they are. If I were you I'd take a look at his list after the game to make sure he wasn't cheating.

yabbadabba
28-03-2008, 12:24
sounds like monkey leavings mate.

AFAIK (without having the rulebook to hand) you don't have to declare what magic items you have at any point unless a) using them or b) compelled to under the rules.

However for somebody to say that just speaks volumes of their poor gaming attitude IMHO.

Festus
28-03-2008, 12:25
Hi

Yes, as soon as he uses it, he has to reveal the nature of the item.

And using a magic weapon to harm ethereals is using a property of a magic weapon. Thus he has to reveal the exact item - and this is not only style or etiquette ...

Festus

Lordmonkey
28-03-2008, 13:44
If he declares hes using a "magic weapon", make him tell you what it is. If he refuses, then you can always refuse to believe that the model in questions' magic weapon allows that model to fight normally.