PDA

View Full Version : High Elves vs Wood Elves

Mrlemonjelly
28-03-2008, 11:00
I have a roughly 2000pt army of High Elves, and my brother has about the same of Wood Elves. We've had a few battles over Easter - he won two and I won one. My army doesn't seem to be all too effective against him.

I mainly have core units - 30 archers, 15 spearmen/seaguard, 8 silver helms, 2 Tiranoc chariots. He uses lots of archers and even more warhawk riders (4 units of 4 in 2000pts), with a few glade riders for good measure.

I usually take two mages, because he doesn't use magic a lot, but they always get picked off quite early and I lose a lot of points in one go. Whenever I charge him with anything, he flees, so I often end up chasing him around the board. I'm not so keen on things like Swordmasters or White Lions as they're slow and would take too long to get into combat (and get shot up before they arrive - everyone in his army has a bow), and they're quite expensive to boot.

In the one battle I've won, it was a Lord on a dragon (just a basic one - I'm using the 6th ed. army book) that did the most damage, and he didn't quite know how to deal with it. Unfortunately I can't take more than one.

Does anyone have any general advice or tips for fighting Wood Elves? The silver helms always seem to do well, so I figured buying some more cavalry would help. Would Dragon Princes be a wise investment?

xragg
28-03-2008, 12:35
Wood elves are a tough match up for high elves. What works best against my wood elves is magic. Try bolstering up your magic, maybe using lore of fire. Put your magies into units so they cant be easily picked off. Warhawks shouldnt be terribly hard to shoot down, dont forget they dont get the -1 to hit for being skirmishers since they are US2.

Other then that, I cant offer much since wood elves match up very well against their high elf brethren.

Mrlemonjelly
28-03-2008, 13:23
Well I have two mages (one mounted) which I could use. I've never thought of using a different Lore though; I've always just used High Magic.

And I didn't realise that about the hawks (or else he didn't mention it). I shall have to remember for next time. Thanks!

mav1971
28-03-2008, 13:50
Why don't you use White Lions? They're stubborn, 3+ save against shooting and move through the woods without penalty.

Krootman
28-03-2008, 14:07
Wood elves are a tough match up for high elves. What works best against my wood elves is magic. Try bolstering up your magic, maybe using lore of fire. Put your magies into units so they cant be easily picked off. Warhawks shouldnt be terribly hard to shoot down, dont forget they dont get the -1 to hit for being skirmishers since they are US2.

Other then that, I cant offer much since wood elves match up very well against their high elf brethren.

Maybe in 6th ed but always strikes first makes it very hard for wood elfs to beat highelfs, you need to take white lions they are amazing vs shooting, have woodsmen and great weapons with always strikes first.... take them and watch them rip apart his army. Take a bunch of 10 man units combind these with your archers to keep his archers in check and you should more often then not win. Also a dragon mage would really do some damage on his small units.

Kloud13
28-03-2008, 15:19
Yeah, I think Priority #1 for your High Elves, Get the 7th Edition Army book.

White Lions are Specials in the new book, and are fantastic against Strength 3 shooting. And, White Lions can Sail through the trees just as good as a Wood Elf. one note on the Character Korhill, I find he chokes just about everytime in combat, so I just leave him in the foam now, spend those points elsewhere.

I also have been taking a Prince with a Greatweapon, and giving him the Sacred Incense, and putting him in a unit of Swordmasters. The Sacred Incense gives a -1 modifier to shooting him or the unit he is with. Makes the Swordmasters a little more survivable, but vs Wood Elves.....maybe not so much.

7th Edition High Elf Magic, fantastic. Probably the best spell in the new book, is the #1 Spell, Shield of Saphrey (Spelling?) this gives a unit a 5+ ward save for a turn. Last night I took a direct hit on my Swordmasters from a dwarven cannon, suffered 4 wounds, but I rolled two 5's and a 6, and saved 3 of those wounds thanks to that spell. Also, put your mages in units so they can't be picked out.

Spearmen are fantastic, but the unit should really be at least 20 strong, I run a unit of 24 (6 wide) just so I can get 3 extra attacks in, that will even make Heavy Cavalry think about Charging (Unless they are Bretonian) 15 strong spearmen unit, just doesn't cut it, you really need the extra rank for a rank bonus, and to suck up a few casualties so that when you do finallly get them in combat, you still have 3 ranks to fight with.

Silverhelms..... Yeah, Time to upgrade to the Dragon Princes. unfortunetly in the 7th edition book, Silver Helms got moved to special, and you are almost crazy to take them over Dragon Princes. Plus the Dragon Princes are fantastic models. Give them that banner that allows them to ignore difficult terrain, and start charging the Tree huggin wood elves.

Also on that note, in the 6th edition book, by the time you filled you core requirement, you didn't have many points left for anything else, but now that has all changed. now you only need 2 core choices in a 2k game.

So, Get the 7th Edition book, and you will be amazed on how much better the High Elves can fight now.

Mrlemonjelly
28-03-2008, 17:38
Why don't you use White Lions?

I hate the models, really. Plus, I'm not sure a bit unit of infantry would work: They'd be too slow to get into combat, and they could easily be flank and rear charged by his hawks (just like anything else, really). Also, they're damned expensive.

Yeah, I think Priority #1 for your High Elves, Get the 7th Edition Army book.

The Sacred Incense gives a -1 modifier to shooting him or the unit he is with.

[P]ut your mages in units so they can't be picked out.

Spearmen are fantastic, but the unit should really be at least 20 strong,

Silverhelms..... Yeah, Time to upgrade to the Dragon Princes. unfortunetly in the 7th edition book, Silver Helms got moved to special, and you are almost crazy to take them over Dragon Princes. Plus the Dragon Princes are fantastic models. Give them that banner that allows them to ignore difficult terrain, and start charging the Tree huggin wood elves.

Ok, you might have me sold on the 7th ed thing. Do you still get the honours? And do the Vambraces of Defence, Reaver Bow, Silver Wand, and Seer al do the same thing? Those are some of the items I use most often.

Sacred Incense is useful. I attached that to my Silver Helms last time.

Last battle my mounted mage joined the Silver Helms but unfortunately he was charged by some hawks and a Highborn on an Eagle and they killed him before buggaring off again (damn hit 'n' run rule!).

Unfortunately I only have 15, and they're never really that much use, so there's not point in buying more really.

I might get some Dragon Princes then. I think a unit of them, backed up with my Silver Helms and 2 Chariots could be pretty nasty. I hope. Will a unit of 5 be enough to be effective?

InquisitorFenix
28-03-2008, 23:08
As far as the 7th ed. goes, my Elves fear high elf magic ability. High magic is great but given that the majority of his army is made up of moving bow-toters, take Lore of Fire and immolate him. You would also be surprised at how fast Lions can get across the board. My solution for Lions is gang-beating them with Dryads. I let them hide in the Woods, they can keep the greenery cause they know that as soon as they leave they will get pelted. On the same note, if you do have Lions in the forest make sure that you dispell any of his magic like tree singing; d6 str5 hits on your unit, usually multiple times, ain't fun. Overall i would say use magic and cav against him. Warhawks are nice but expensive and they dont hit very hard. Fireball him a few times or shoot them with your archers, they wont last too long. If you take dragon princes, make them more than 5 strong and they can parade through his lines like you wouldn't believe. The problem is getting to his lines in the first place. Giving them the Ellyirian Banner gives you some protection from shooting as you can move through cover too, this should be enough to get you into his lines to wreak havoc. DP's are usually my first target as WE because I know that if I let them get to my lines they will eat me, well they will eat some things before my dryads get them:).

Mike KK
28-03-2008, 23:42
tbh lore of fire is you friend ...wall of fire pwns up them lines of archers badly

Mrlemonjelly
28-03-2008, 23:48
As far as the 7th ed. goes, my Elves fear high elf magic ability. High magic is great but given that the majority of his army is made up of moving bow-toters, take Lore of Fire and immolate him.

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find a copy of the army book somewhere then ...

tbh lore of fire is you friend ...wall of fire pwns up them lines of archers badly

I was thinking that - if there's no hills around he'll use lines of ten archers. If they're in two ranks, however, Flames of the Phoenix (if that still exists) would be more effective.