PDA

View Full Version : Reptillien Vampire Slayers

Conotor
29-03-2008, 03:49
I play lizzardmen, and I'm shure I will come into contact with teh new undead sooner or later, and im trying to make a good army for vampire slaying.

Where I play we obay the rules, not some random guy's oppinion of what they should be, so the VCs cannot raise into combat.

First comes the carno. Should I give the old blood 7 attacks for chopping up undead, or should he have parrana bain head / Sword of Tzunki to kill the general?

JSOD: Should I give him a burning blade to counter regeneration, so he can crash carts and vaghulfs?
Should I replace him with a BSB? are BSBs good on undead if you have enouf fear causing units of your own?

For magic deff im planing on skink priest with diadem, + all the tzunki I can fit on the other heroes.

My army is pretty set at 2x10 skinks, 1 swarm, 6 cav, 3 krox, 3 terre, a steg and 3 sallies, as these are the models I currently own. I will soon have 6 more sarrus cav, and 16 sarri.

DarkStarr
29-03-2008, 08:50
Well im not sure if you can raise units with a wizzard who is combat, but you can mose deffinantly raise units who are in combat with a wizzard who is not in combat. Quoted from the vampire counts book on the explination of Invocation of nehek states, "target one of your own undead units or a characters within 18". The target unit regens D6 Wounds worth of models." Now that seems pretty clear that if you can target your own you would be able to cast it even if the wiz is in combat now at the bottom it alos gives a example of how this ability works, Quote "Models that are resurected within a unit that has charged that turn do not gain charge bonuses in the following close combat phase." So if you can raise units in your own undead units then therefor you should be able to do this in combat. I'm fairly sure there will be a faq update to remedy this and then you will have to deal with the fact that vamps can raise units in combat. Where we play that is how we play it because it seems clear the intent of this spell, and we play by the rules not someones crying,whining interpretation of the rules. Good luck

Conotor
29-03-2008, 12:46
We do not allow vampires to raise into combat where we play. Please argue about this somewhere else and stay on topic.

Jack of Blades
29-03-2008, 12:51
Don't really think it's worth giving advice to some kind of rules-lawyer, obstinate and just unnecessarily annoying group like that, but ok...

I like the Oldblood on Carnosaur with 9 attacks. Seems pretty nice against Undead, since you'll hit on 3+ and wound on 3+ against GG, and he's pretty likely to have GW's. Try using a Priest with a Power Stone and cast Portent on him, as that'll likely help a lot.

As for the Scar-vet, the Burning Blade isn't really a good idea imo. While you'd negate Regeneration, you forget that Varghulfs have a high charge range too and they're much tougher than your Scar-vet. I don't really know how you'll deal with Varghulfs, to be honest.

Magic defense seems fine and is probably not worth bothering too much over, at least imo. You can load up on magic defense, but he will probably get one or two key spells off per turn anyway, so it's better to just count on that and plan for it instead.

Xampus
29-03-2008, 15:25
I don't know alot about the lizardmen, but all I'm gonna say is call the hotline. 1-800-394-4263. They can straighten you out about rezzing the units into combat, because that really does change alot of the way the VC are played.

Jack of Blades
29-03-2008, 15:33
I don't know alot about the lizardmen, but all I'm gonna say is call the hotline. 1-800-394-4263. They can straighten you out about rezzing the units into combat, because that really does change alot of the way the VC are played.

Don't think you get the point. They know it isn't supposed to be that way and it's a mistake, which is why they're knowingly exploiting it for their advantage. Nothing says you can't just smash the BRB in their face, either.

They're rules lawyers. If it can be interpreted the way they want it, it's interpreted the way they want it ;). That's what it's all about. Any gamer with some decency would allow IoN to be cast into combat.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-03-2008, 15:41
Especially as the spell contains an in combat example of it's resolution, ergo stating otherwise that it can be cast into combat.

Lord Dan
29-03-2008, 16:07
It's not an "interpretation" unless you want to ignore GW Canada's official position, four of five lines cited from the wording in the rules itself, almost any rulezboy you talk to, AND the fact that it's going to be FAQd in favor of casting into combat soon.

Antigonos
29-03-2008, 16:12
Please argue about this somewhere else and stay on topic.

And if you really ask for help, try being more polite that this. It does not cost you anything you know.

Lord Dan
29-03-2008, 16:16
And if you really ask for help, try being more polite that this. It does not cost you anything you know.

Especially when you're apparently asking the VC community about how to beat their armies.

DarkStarr
29-03-2008, 19:59
Well i called the hotline and they told me that because this spell can be cast on himself and his unit that it most deffinantly is played in combat including the wizard in combat, but weather a vamp in combat can cast it on a different unit while he is in combat is questionable and they also stated that there will be a faq coming on it probably soon. So it is really hard to give you a honest strategy with your vamp killing lizzards when you're group is playing vamps entirely differently than the rest of the gaming community, and that deffinantly changes the way vamps are played.

Adolphus
29-03-2008, 20:17
again as posted before...gw canada already cleared this up, called them myself and inquired, because i wanted to know for hall of heros. if you don't beleive me call them at 1-888-498-7655. but as far as your list goes i have found fighting against slans have been far harder to beat than oldone on a carnasaur....carnasaur is to easyily tied up with throw away units and drain magic is just down right nasty against vc. also my buddy tends to use tons of skinks and krox, and they can be quite a pain as well, but don't bother with saurus calv, they aren't worth the points sink, better off taking more warriors to avoid being outnumbered.

W0lf
29-03-2008, 20:47
Where I play we obay the rules, not some random guy's oppinion of what they should be, so the VCs cannot raise into combat.

Oh i see so your group lacks any common sense or oppinion. I can also take it for granted your vampire counts players are ether not very vocal or bullied into having rules in your favour.

In that case give a hero a great weapon and attack the vampires.

Or why not just tell the vampire players they auto lose at the start of the game? if they agree to not cast into combat they should be cool with that, it dosnt say in the rules you cant agree one player auto wins.

tom1354788
29-03-2008, 20:57
I dont think you will be playing any VC players within your group, if you persicute them as you say you do. So asking for tactics against them is a mute point really.

you should be asking for tactics against VC players outside of your group.

luckyguy
30-03-2008, 02:51
This is a joke right?

How about if your group also just decides that VC must also take break tests. Then you can just kill vampires by pursuing them after they fail a break test.

Conotor
30-03-2008, 03:33
Oh i see so your group lacks any common sense or oppinion. I can also take it for granted your vampire counts players are ether not very vocal or bullied into having rules in your favour.

Actualy our most relied upon rule sorce is a VC player. He plays his army without casting into combat, and announced that they couldn't himself.

Famder
30-03-2008, 04:00
In all fairness I would personally assume the general sentiment of everyone else that they can because that's the way it has always been. However it is can be understood that the only one who can cast on a unit in combat is a Vampire in the unit, since then the example given in the rulebook still applies and there are no BRB rules broken.

With the original question. Slaan's kill vampires because they can't run circles around the magic phase and raise tons of units. If they go magic heavy you can usually crush the vamps in close combat and then the army will crumble.

EldarBishop
30-03-2008, 06:11
OP, check this link to GW Canadas website.

http://ca.games-workshop.com/Community/Hall_of_Heroes/CommissarC.htm

For the 2008-2009 Hall of Heroes season Invocation of Nehek, Vanhels Danse Macabre and the replenished wounds from Summon Undead Horde can target friendly units engaged in close combat.

(These are the rules for a Canada-wide tournament style league.)

WusteGeist
30-03-2008, 06:58
Ok I am going to clear this up for the last bloody time. Look in your rule books all of you. Notice the only thing it says is that magic missiles can not be cast into hand to hand combat. Other wise its good to go. GODS you guys are so damn dense, spells don't need an FAQ or Eratta. There are many other matters that need tending to before some silly ass FAQ or a already plain as hell rules question. Can I cast this spell into hand to hand, humm lets see is it a magic missile? NO, does it say it can not be done? No, ok answer is yes. It's called logic, try it some time. Gods seeing this kicked around time and time again makes me furious.

Heimlich
30-03-2008, 10:19
We do not allow vampires to raise into combat where we play. Please argue about this somewhere else and stay on topic.
Don't be an ass, it's not an arguement, the man is simply stating a fact. Okay?
Btw, I hope you lose against every VC army you play against.

lachlanwizard
30-03-2008, 13:11
Why have all of you ignored a simple request? It is just so amazing that you have all prattled on about such a non issue. He isn't playing by those interpretations, for reasons that he had not elaborated on and yet there was the gall to make these comments without considering his unknown context. The VC player plays like that. Good.

I'm thinking you play a rather flexible army with the ability to move around a bit and ignore any zombies not thrown at you. Probably just run a graveguard/knight can opener unit with the carno/old blood so you can hit at the VC players points sinks.

luckyguy
30-03-2008, 14:01
While I should not have made my earlier smart @ss comment and I understand where their interpretation comes from, the original post is very condescending.

“Where I play we obay the rules, not some random guy's oppinion of what they should be, so the VCs cannot raise into combat.”

This comment implies that a widely played interpretation is just plain wrong. As the replies should indicate it most certainly is not just some random guy’s opinion. Small wonder most do not want to provide worthwhile advice.