PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of Musicians in a Vampire Counts army?

Black-Tooth
29-03-2008, 18:42
As the title says, what's the point of having musicians in your units of Skeletons and Grave Guard? I've read the army book and there's no altered rules for musicians in there, so this would mean Skeletons get +1 to their LD when Rallying...But then never break in oder to rally, so what's the point?

Have I missed something here? I presume I have, because it seems odd that GW wouldn't notice this.

Necronartum
29-03-2008, 18:48
Musicians not only add +1 to rally, which is useless as you quite rightly pointed out, but if you draw a combat and you have a musician and your opponent doesn't, you win the combat.

If you both have them, it stays a draw.

theunwantedbeing
29-03-2008, 18:51
Dont take them and I guarantee you will everyually come across a situation where you will lose because you didnt take one.

dejavu
29-03-2008, 22:35
ive had three occasions in the last two weeks where musicians kept me in the fight after drawn combats. theyre totally worth the points.

explorator
29-03-2008, 23:47
I feel musicans are needed in a VC army. Explanation. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2457343&postcount=26)

Ganymede
30-03-2008, 05:49
Musicians in a VC army provide great modeling opportunities. That's reason enough for me. There's also this reason too.

"Dont take them and I guarantee you will everyually come across a situation where you will lose because you didnt take one."

Though, in reality, it should be changed to read "Dont take them and I guarantee you will everyually come across a situation where you will lose a skeleton because you didnt take one."

kris.sherriff
30-03-2008, 10:29
I don't know about lose the game but I have certanly had situations where I have wished I had taken a musician as it would have meant I won by one but I the long run I think I was better off spending the points elswere.

Note I always took musicians in my black night and grave guard units but not sure if I would now that they can be raised?

Kris

untimention
30-03-2008, 10:31
just make sure to paint some lips on him

T10
30-03-2008, 10:36
Bah.

Having a musician increases your hopelessly clumsy combat troops' chances to win, even if only ever so slightly.

And if you have the numerical advantage, winning by a single point is enough.

-T10

Khorneflakes
30-03-2008, 11:04
i just played a 2200 point game with stand in vamps vs high elves, and i only needed the musician once when it was tied, and i wood have won, but lost by one and so lost a skeleton ( big whoop ). all the rest of the game they were never needed as i won or lost but such margins that they woodnt have mattered. plus i also won:D me thinks me will buy a vamp army now:D