PDA

View Full Version : Magic and mundane shield and hand weapon

TheDudeGuyMan
29-03-2008, 19:59
Help settle a debate: do you get the +1 armor save when you have a magical hand weapon and mundane shield? How about when you have a mundane hand weapon and a magical shield? A magical hand weapon and magical shield? Thanks in advance.

MalusCalibur
29-03-2008, 20:07
If you are referring to the 'hand weapon and shield' bonus, then it ONLY applies to non-magical equipment.

MalusCalibur

Yehoshua
29-03-2008, 20:28
(I think) a search should show that this has been figured out; a magical weapon and mundane shield provides no additional bonus in HTH to the front, while a mundane weapon and a magical shield does indeed provide the additional bonus in HTH to the front.

This is because p.121 tells us that magical weapons ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of that type, while there is no such rule affecting magical shields.

Atrahasis
29-03-2008, 20:32
Yehoshua is correct - a mundane hand weapon grants the bonus alongside any shield.

theunwantedbeing
29-03-2008, 20:58
So long as your weapon has the rule "hand weapon" and your sheild has the rule "sheild" and you are fighting an enemy to your front whilst on foot, you get the additional +1 armour save.

Your weapon and/or sheild can be magical if you so wish, that changes nothing.
However, there are very few magical hand weapons as almost all magical weapons do not state that they are hand weapons.

Note that being used in 1 hand does not make your weapon a hand weapon.
A spear is used in 1 hand for example, a spear is not a hand weapon.

superknijn
29-03-2008, 22:08
Well, Choppa's do, but that's a special rule.

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 22:58
So a hand weapon + The enchanted shield gives a grand total of a 4+ save in the front? Yikes.

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-03-2008, 03:40
Yes it does. Quite nifty, but also why it's been going up in points in recent books.

And I think the only magic weapon that says it's a hand weapon is the Sword of the Quest(?), the Bret sword that lets you use it either two handed or as a hand weapon.

ZigZagMan
30-03-2008, 18:50
And pistols also say that they count as hand weapons. Not that there are alot of troops that can get Pistols and shields......

Festus
30-03-2008, 19:22
Hi

The really funny thing is, that the Enchanted Shield is not a shield following RAW :D
I tdoesn't have shield in its description - although it then goes on to explain that it is used as such ... stoopid GW rules writers. ;)

But seriously. If I were GW, I would always give the category of mundane equipment a Magic Item falls under. This avoids a lot of arguments in the long run.

Festus