PDA

View Full Version : how is this vampire hero?

jimyg
29-03-2008, 20:52
vampire
dread knight 25 pts
infinite hatred 25 pts
sword of might 15 points
talisman of protection 15 pts
cusred book 20 points

total 200 points even

im pretty confident in my choice of vampire powers
but im not sure about the weapons and magic items

sword of might seems good
but im not sure about the talisman of protection and cursed book.
i might swap them for either the flayed hauberk, wrist bands of black gold or blood gem.

this vampire will be the leader for my new 1000 point army.

darknar
29-03-2008, 21:21
sword of might is well a meh option in my opinion sure it allows you to be able to hurt bigger monsters like oges and the like and be able to wound them but St 5 for a basic character is good enough

talisman of protection is just not worth taking in my opinion. only a 1 in 6 chance in reflecting 1 attack is not good odds to me.

the cursed book is another item i dont like in this version of vampire counts and feel that it is not a item worth taking,

as you are mounted you may find that you might want to use the lance he comes with(dread knight)and thus skip the sword of might

and instead go for something more expencive like the bloody hauberk which come with a decent armour save and a ward save to boot

or if you want a bit more fun
take the staff of damnation to get an extra free phase of attacking your opponant whilst still counting as charging. what more do you want than a dead enemy at your feet before starting the real close combat phase

anyhow good luck with your new 1000 points of the unliving-dead and drink deeply from your goblet of blood

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 21:32
Why give him Dread Knights and the Sword of Might? Won't he be using his lance?

The cursed book often makes for a nasty surprise - good for challenges. Drop the talisman and the sword, and get the wristbands of black gold if you are concerned about getting shot at.

DarkStarr
29-03-2008, 21:46
Yeah the cursed book is pretty dang handy if you want to solo charge anything and wait for back up. Combined with other abilitys like staff of damnation and a hell steed that flys seems like one huge beat stick suprise assault.

W0lf
29-03-2008, 21:53
Vampire
Avatar (Great weapon), Dark Acolyte
Flayed Haulberk

He deals with big stuff, is pretty survivable and gives you casting ability.

Add a scroll/periapt/stone or something to improve the magical support if you feel its needed.

darknar
29-03-2008, 22:13
Vampire
Avatar (Great weapon), Dark Acolyte
Flayed Haulberk

He deals with big stuff, is pretty survivable and gives you casting ability.

Add a scroll/periapt/stone or something to improve the magical support if you feel its needed.

i would use an avatar acolyte as a bog standard vampire in a core unit or in grave guard to provide killing power and invocation support

thought the problem with this setup is tat he wont be able to do enough wounds to an big guy unit before he gets pounded on by another big guy even if he does kill one.

yes he can deal with big stuff but big stuff ususaly have big strengh and thus may negate most of that 2+ armour save
however the dark acolyte is a good power for an extra spell and powerdice i feel that something to deal with big stuff should try and focus on combat and thus the red fury combined with sword of might, battle, or striking may be more appropriate to get those few extra wounds for more attacks to take that creature down.

vampire WS 6 St 5 is good enough for this i would of thought

jimyg
29-03-2008, 22:48
thanks for all the input

thing is i have this old vampire lord model that i never painted and want to use as the hero in my new army.

here is an example of the model
http://www.bastaic.com/wfb/fey/pics/vampire5.jpg

as you can see hes riding a barded nightmare, has heavy amour and is holding what i think looks like a great weapon.

so what im really trying to do is choose items for him that are wysiwyg with the model.

im totally open to using the dread knight power and just saying he is armed with a lance. do you think anybody would care?

Lordmonkey
29-03-2008, 22:54
Cool model. I think you could get away with that sword being one handed, so perhaps you could give him the frostblade and sent him monster-hunting? :D

im totally open to using the dread knight power and just saying he is armed with a lance. do you think anybody would care?

No, you could always say that his strength is so huge that he can drive a sword through something as if it were a lance, or some similar fluff. Either that, or strap a lance to his back :)

DarkStarr
30-03-2008, 00:13
wysiwyg is more of a 40k issue the rules in warhammer are a bit more simple as far as that goes, you could say hes on a hell steed and it flys with magical energys, I dont think you have to show a shield, but you could always put one on the side of the horse ext ext if you look at the dark elf cold ones they dont show one handers but have them equiped in there characteristics. The only thing you might not get away with on that modle is claiming he doesnt have a mount.

wibble
30-03-2008, 00:59
If you've got enough casting in your other vampires to draw dispell dice, why not give him something like Dread Knight, Walking Death and Hand of Dust. Nasty little surprise in the bound item coupled with the extra combat resolution means he can take on small(ish) units on his own, providing he's not just running out in front of the rest of the army, but having him peel off to take out flankers or something could work to give you time to outmanouver your opponent

jimyg
30-03-2008, 18:33
after looking through the book again im now actually thinking of useing my modell to represent manfred the alcolyte

i would give him a barded night mare and walach's bloody hauberk

he would come out to 250 points, is that too much for a 1000 point force?

Monsterzonk
30-03-2008, 19:34
Can't give Manfred magic armour. His optional magic item is restricted to Arcane Items only.

My preferred Vampire would be armed with Talisman of Lycni, Armour of Night, Sword of Battle and have Hunter in the Dark and Infinite Hatred or Supernatural Horror.
He's not a good general, though, as he'll deploy away from his troops. But he's a great Wizard and warmachine hunter and will cause your enemy a world of pain.
He charges 18", shotting against him is at -2 to hit and he'll have 4 re-rollable S5 attacks. Bad.