PDA

View Full Version : Traitor Legion Loyalists During And Post The Horus Heresy

Aeolian
29-03-2008, 22:33
We can assume that during the Heresy due to circumstance or personal feelings marines of the Traitor Legions fought against Horus. But do we know in what numbers? What the situation was?

Did the loyalists fight alongside the Loyal Legions? Considering how recent the conflict was would any loyalists (especially if there were large numbers of loyalists, there could have been multiple thousands) been tolerated or aided by the loyalist legions?

Would we see Thousands Suns alongside Ultramarines fighting against Sons of Horus or Rogue Imperial Army or Mechanicus?

Eetion
29-03-2008, 22:36
HORUS HERESY SERIES SPOILERS!!!!!

In fact most of the Legions purged their ranks, sending them to fight on the planet before the dropsite massacres..... before virus bombing the hell out of them.... some survived and dug in.... some pretty vicious gfighting took place there it seems.

Lorgar
29-03-2008, 22:37
We can assume that during the Heresy due to circumstance or personal feelings marines of the Traitor Legions fought against Horus. But do we know in what numbers? What the situation was?

Sure, many did. Hundreds of them fought against the traitors on Istavaan III, from Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Luna Wolves and World Eaters. And Captain Garro of the Death Guard escaped with a hundred loyal marines from his own legion, and one marine of the Luna Wolves.

I'm sure there were loyalists in the other traitor legions as well.

If you haven't read them yet, I recommend reading the Horus Heresy novels from The Black Library.

ICEMANQ
29-03-2008, 22:37
In The Flight of the Eisenstein, Garro is treated with suspicion by everyone. The traitor legions involed in Isstvan killed off most of their loyalists. I believe most loyalists would either be chucked in jail for the duration or involved in trivial military actions, deliberately away from their former brothers.

kishvier
29-03-2008, 22:38
A fair portion of the Dark Angels went traitor as well as some in pretty much every other legion from Smurfs to World Eaters.

Aeolian
29-03-2008, 22:39
HORUS HERESY SERIES SPOILERS!!!!!

In fact most of the Legions purged their ranks, sending them to fight on the planet before the dropsite massacres..... before virus bombing the hell out of them.... some survived and dug in.... some pretty vicious gfighting took place there it seems.

Surely there were many who were not with their legion for quite some time, especially when you consider that the legions were dozens of thousands strong.

Lorgar
29-03-2008, 22:43
Surely there were many who were not with their legion for quite some time, especially when you consider that the legions were dozens of thousands strong.

I'm pretty sure that the traitor primarchs made sure that every loyal marine was on the planet when it was bombed (except for those who escaped, like Garro). I assume that they summoned any forces spread out in the galaxy to the Istavaan system, so that there would be no chance of warning the loyal legions.

Aeolian
29-03-2008, 22:47
I'm pretty sure that the traitor primarchs made sure that every loyal marine was on the planet when it was bombed (except for those who escaped, like Garro). I assume that they summoned any forces spread out in the galaxy to the Istavaan system, so that there would be no chance of warning the loyal legions.

Thousand Sons? There must have been other marines garrisoned around the galaxy.

As I said, there must have been at least a few hundred of each Traitor Legion that survived.

ICEMANQ
29-03-2008, 22:49
Told to repaint their armour and quietly swept under the rug. Or join the Inquisition with Garro.

Skirnak
29-03-2008, 22:51
In the old fluff, Garro and others carried a warning to the Emperor about the Warmaster's betrayal (and presumably that of other legions). This hasn't changed, only elaborated on in the new background introduced by the novel series.

In the Index Astartes articles, it stated that the Emperor's Children legion followed Fulgrim and the Warmaster to a man. This is no longer the case.

Lorgar
29-03-2008, 22:54
Thousand Sons? There must have been other marines garrisoned around the galaxy.

As I said, there must have been at least a few hundred of each Traitor Legion that survived.

Why? Except for the Iron Warriors, I can't think of any reason why the legions would leave some of their forces on the other side of the galaxy. Most of them just conquered a planet, and then left it to the Ultramarines to take care of (administration and rebuilding). And if they did, it would have been easy for the primachs to assemble them before they purged the loyal marines.

As for the Thousand Sons, I think that the forces who was away from Prospero when the Space Wolves attacked joined their primarch as soon as they could. Why would they join the Emperor when he had, as it looked like at the moment, ordered their legion to be exterminated? Sure, there must have been some who was still loyal, and I assume we will learn more of them in the upcoming novel Prospero.

Aeolian
29-03-2008, 23:15
Why? Except for the Iron Warriors, I can't think of any reason why the legions would leave some of their forces on the other side of the galaxy. Most of them just conquered a planet, and then left it to the Ultramarines to take care of (administration and rebuilding). And if they did, it would have been easy for the primachs to assemble them before they purged the loyal marines.

As for the Thousand Sons, I think that the forces who was away from Prospero when the Space Wolves attacked joined their primarch as soon as they could. Why would they join the Emperor when he had, as it looked like at the moment, ordered their legion to be exterminated? Sure, there must have been some who was still loyal, and I assume we will learn more of them in the upcoming novel Prospero.

Why would they? The Thousands Suns were forced into Chaos, they didn't choose it.

Lorgar
29-03-2008, 23:37
Why would they? The Thousands Suns were forced into Chaos, they didn't choose it.

As I wrote, they would probably see the whole thing as treachery from the Space Wolves and the Emperor. The Thousand Sons who escaped from Prospero wasn't that tainted with Chaos at this time, they weren't mutated or anything, so why wouldn't the other forces join sides with their brothers?

recceboy
30-03-2008, 21:50
That would be a thing to see, a squad of Loyalists fighting along side another squad .With all those Loyalist troops willing to fight for the Emperor it would be a waste of good troops. Mind you they would be under close watch...