PDA

View Full Version : Q's regarding Empire Detachments

Walls
30-03-2008, 01:31
As a new Empire Player I have some questions about Detachments, mostly regarding why you would use certain ones over others.

I understand why you use archers or handgunners: to shoot a charge down
I understand why you might use sword/halberd/spears: counter charges.

I am kinda curious why you use Free Company and why they seem to be a popular choice for detachments. Is it price? Their use of two weapons? I really like the models and would love to use em. It seems they are popular as detachments and am curious as to why so.

Also: why are certain units better then others for detachments? What are preferred choices? Seems to be one shooty, one counter charge. Hard to really gauge a popular choice here.

Thanks in advance!

Arduhn
30-03-2008, 01:34
Two attacks, and cheap, that would be why I would use them. I would never use spearmen as a detachment, cause the counter charge would only get 1 rank of attacks anyway, so you might as well go with swordsmen for better weapon skill and armour save, or halberds for better strength, or free swords for more attacks.

Lordmonkey
30-03-2008, 01:50
i would go with free company and either halberdiers or handgunners. That way you have both massed str 3 attacks and less str 4 attacks. But it also depends on what your parent unit is. I suppose there is a lot of mathhammer involved here which i really dont want to go into...

CaptScott
30-03-2008, 05:34
Yep, two strength 3 attacks is better than 1 strength 4. However for detachments you should be more concerned with keeping them alive (to retain unit strength), rather than getting kills. Therefore choose either halbs with shield, spears with shield or swordsmen. All of these have 4+ save in close combat (remember halbs and spears can elect to use hand weapons and shields), as well as 5+ versus ranged.

As for ranged all are ok, just remember archers can be used a missile screen (-1 to hit due to skirmish formation) and can be used for advanced baiting tactics (have a look over the charging skirmishers part in the BRB to see what I mean).

Irisado
30-03-2008, 09:32
The extra attack, and low cost of the Free Company makes them ideal for a detachment in my book.

I tend to prefer close combat units such as Halberdiers and Swordsmen for my detachments, since counter-charging with two detachments tends to knock opponents off balance. I have taken Crossbowmen and Handgunners as detachments in the past, but they only tend to be effective against smaller units, for example, they won't usually cause enough damage to a big block of infantry. Against small units of cavalry though, Handgunners in particular are much more threatening.

kris.sherriff
30-03-2008, 11:55
Free company in blocks of 9 are amazing detachments.

6 atacks and only contacting 5 guys at most should keep enough alive to negate ranks at the end of combat.

I would be wary agains HE though as ASF eats through them.

Kris

Walls
31-03-2008, 07:11
Thanks for all the help, gentlemen. I like Free Company a lot, model wise, as you have fairly free reign. I am adding a female dwarf and a halfling adventurer model I have to mine for a bit of flair and flavor.

showmydog
31-03-2008, 11:29
free company! if for nothing else then for the models. it really is a splendid kit to play with. cbows and handguns are good because you can deploy small units then run them away... hehehe

scarletsquig
31-03-2008, 11:59
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=14677.0

That's a good post detailing detachment tactics.

Basically, they're there as bait/ support units that are designed to force the enemy into getting charged inthe flank by you.

Empire rely heavily on movement when they've got a big nasty mounted unit of killyness heading their way.

Krootman
31-03-2008, 13:41
people use free company because it is the easest way to get 25 point units that you can run toward your opponent to march block him and slow his army down