PDA

View Full Version : Warpstorms - Confusion

Kruz
30-03-2008, 03:47
RAVENOR SPOILER - read ahead with warning.

I'm confused about the effects of warpstorms. I had always been under the impression that they were an inhibitor of warp travel, in effect sealing off an affected system for X amount of decades from FTL travel until the storm blew itself out; but not affecting life on the planet(s). All of the old fluff I remember made it seem like sublight travel was unaffected, and as well as surface life itself. Think of the Age of Darkness - earth is sealed off from the rest of the galaxy by warpstorms. I always thought that this was because the warp storms were, to be Captain Obvious:D, a storm in the warp. Hence they shouldn't affect realspace. However, I just finished reading Ravenor, and in it the warpstorms that are a plot device actually had a terrible effect on the surface of the affected systems, killing many and corrupting the physical surface of the planet.

So what gives? Are warpstorms benign to the worlds they affect, are they not, or is this another example of fluff inconsistency in the Warhammer 40,000 world?

Iracundus
30-03-2008, 03:52
Warpstorms of sufficient power apparently can break out into the real world. Warpstorm Baphomael during the 13th Black Crusade and the storm that finally destroyed Medusa V are examples.

DantesInferno
30-03-2008, 04:01
Warpstorms of sufficient power apparently can break out into the real world. Warpstorm Baphomael during the 13th Black Crusade and the storm that finally destroyed Medusa V are examples.

Or indeed, the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom....

Iracundus
30-03-2008, 04:03
The Eye of Terror and Maelstrom aren't really warp storms. They're permanent overlaps between the warp and realspace. Storms are powerful but ultimately transient (in the grand scheme of things, not necessarily for individuals and their lifetimes) warp phenomena.

DantesInferno
30-03-2008, 04:23
The Eye of Terror and Maelstrom aren't really warp storms. They're permanent overlaps between the warp and realspace. Storms are powerful but ultimately transient (in the grand scheme of things, not necessarily for individuals and their lifetimes) warp phenomena.

Surely the difference between "permanent" and "transient" warp phenomena is just one of degree. For instance, how would you describe the Storm of the Emperor's Wrath? Is something still a warp storm if it's been raging for 5 000 years? What about 10 000?

The Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom are really big, really long-lasting warp storm-style phenomena. I don't mind if you don't want to call them "warp storms", but there's no distinction of substance to be drawn.

Iracundus
30-03-2008, 05:17
There is most definitely a distinction. BFG shows you can have warp rifts, without having warp storms. The Eye of Terror and Maelstrom are huge rifts allowing the warp to pour out and overlap with reality. They aren't actual storm systems within the warp. A warp storm breaking through into reality would be doing so via a rift, but the rift is not the storm. Don't confuse one with the other.

DantesInferno
30-03-2008, 05:50
There is most definitely a distinction. BFG shows you can have warp rifts, without having warp storms. The Eye of Terror and Maelstrom are huge rifts allowing the warp to pour out and overlap with reality. They aren't actual storm systems within the warp. A warp storm breaking through into reality would be doing so via a rift, but the rift is not the storm. Don't confuse one with the other.

I wasn't confusing warp rifts with warp storms. The overlap of warp and realspace within the Eye of Terror forms a warp rift, but it's also a gigantic warp storm.

To quote the 4th ed rulebook on p134: "Like a weeping sore on the verge of eruption, the stellar phenomenon known as the Eye of Terror has blighted Imperial space for ten thousand years. A permanent warp storm of unimaginable size, the Eye of Terror burst into existence after the galactic cataclysm that was the Fall of the Eldar."

DapperAnarchist
30-03-2008, 15:32
They Eye is a storm, which flows out in a rift - if it was just a rift, it'd be easier to leave it.

As for a storm affecting planets? It appears in the 13th BC, and in Medusa V, and, apparently, in Abnett, but I think this is a recent addition. Warp Storms did traditionally provide a good time for daemon summoning though...