PDA

View Full Version : Im after a reasonable fighter...

athamas
30-03-2008, 21:21
For a arena of death...

as i understand it the rulse will be no monsterous mounts, no raising of units, and no general rules loop hole finding and being a cheesy git... [ie the character should win by luck, and good choices, not some obscure little rule]

anyway, aswell as the arena ther ewill be a painting comp attached to this..

and i would like to enter, [as i may be able to paint the one figure in the time i have untill then] But... i want to paint something for an army i like... or a single figure i like...

so... surgestions...

my armies consist of: O&G, Vampires, slaaneshi HoC mortals [though expanding out to other types is fine],

But i do like most armies and ther are the odd figures from each that i get on well with...

so, any surgestions for a good fighter that also has a nice mini that i can paint also.. [i keep on getting stuck with VC, dwarves and HE and bouncing between them, but have not had the chance to play as any of them yet...]

SilverWarlock
30-03-2008, 21:37
if you want something fun to paint have you considered an empire wizard?

you could do some serious conversion with a flaming sword/staff ... and oddly make it a level 4 with Van Horstman's speculum and whatever goes with it. Then go for Flamming sword. And see how the ennemy does with 1 attack, S3 T3

Havock
30-03-2008, 21:46
No monstruos mounts... Doesn't that sort of make this a (magic) shoot-out. with the odd very fast (mounted) character tryig to kill something before it gets there?

Oenghus
30-03-2008, 21:48
Doesn't VHS only work in a challenge? I'd be wary of relying on something that only works in challenges in a special-rules-heavy situation like an arena.

What's the points limit (if any)? Are special characters allowed?

athamas
30-03-2008, 23:41
from what i know characters will be about 8-12" appart

no points limit that im aware of, but no special characters...

Famder
31-03-2008, 02:48
no points limit that im aware of
That's a little lame, it kind of puts some armies at a disadvantage from the word go. I'm assuming magic item limitations still apply in terms of points.

Doesn't VHS only work in a challenge?
Most dual arenas I've been a part of either a) treat all combats like a challenge or b) allow all normal combat rules, ie opponents may still challenge as normal and since you can't refuse are auto-accepted.

You could do:

Demon Prince of Slaanesh with Blade of Ether, Diabolic Splendor, Gaze of Acquiescence. Allows to to always strike first with no armor saves and you still have 5+ ward no matter what with the chance the enemy can't hurt you.

Chaos Lord of Slaanesh, Barded Chaos Steed, Chaos Runeshield, Helm of Many Eyes, Sword of Battle. Negates a lot of their ability to get past your 1+ save before you can hurt them, and has a magical weapon for hurting anyone that thinks Ethereals are cool. Or you could switch out the Helm and Sword for Crown of Everlasting Conquest.

TheDarkDuke
31-03-2008, 02:56
cant really go wrong with a tzeentch lord with armour of damnation,crown of everlasting conquest (unlikely you'll be facing flaming attacks) . if you get lucky you roll orange fire and be able to re-roll pretty much everything from a nearly impossible to kill lord who will still hit back fairly hard or even yellow fire for a 2+armour (if you use a shield) regeneration and a 5+ward.but then it really depends if your allowed magic and point cost limits since both of those can restrict a tzeentch character alot.

studderigdave
31-03-2008, 15:19
can we get a little more clarification on the rules? in my local LGS we had one of these a few months back and it was a ball. we had 2 level, first game was 150 point or less heros, second game was 300 point or less lords.

a no point limit game would result in insanity i think, i would prolly take a treeman ancient with annoyance of netlings and other spite goodness.

blurred
31-03-2008, 15:27
How about this:

Savage orc great shaman
- Boar chariot
- Bigged's kickin' boots
- Skull wand of Kaloth
- Amulet of protectyness

So you'll be hitting three times and each hit is a passed leadership test for the opponent or death. You'll also have their armour and ward saves. Try it, loads of fun. :D

studderigdave
31-03-2008, 16:00
for a laugh i would run this:

goblin big boss
-wolf
-one hit wunda
-brimstone bauble

the classic goblin missile. comming in at just 87 points, this little bastard packs 3 str 10 hits then a d6 str 6 hits when he dies. prolyl wont win ya the game, but just think of your opponenent's face

N810
31-03-2008, 16:10
how about lizardmen Scar vet or Oldblood...
they have a lot of flexability in equipment choices.
http://www.pyramidvault.net/tactics/oldblood/oldblood01.asp
http://www.pyramidvault.net/tactics/scarvet/scarvet01.asp

Oenghus
31-03-2008, 16:18
Yeah, something like an Oldblood with the +1 armor spawning, the +1 attack spawning, and the Immune to Psychology Spawning (don't want some Terror causer ruining your day) plus light armor, a shield, Aura of Quetzl, and the Revered blade of tzunki might work for you.

You'd get a 2+ Armor, 4+ ward, and 5 or 6 no armor save, strength 5 attacks. Alternately, switch out Tzunki for something cheaper and take the Jaguar charm, which would let you pick your fights pretty effectively.

N810
31-03-2008, 16:32
also you might want consider the Bane Head that doubles all wounds

mightygnoblar
31-03-2008, 16:33
a good combination to try would be a slaaneshi chaos lord with the pendant of slaanesh and either slaughters blade or the blade of blood
this means that for every wound you take you'll get +1A, then when you wound the enemy you can restore your wound (while retaining the attack)
it also leaves you with around 45pts to play with for armour or a talisman of your choice

SilverWarlock
31-03-2008, 16:52
and the funny thing is, an empire wizard lord with lore of fire (or beasts for bears anger) and a magic weapon can kill all those options :p

Mercules
31-03-2008, 17:00
Slaughtermaster
Siegbreaker - Str 7 attacks WS vrs their Init
Greedy Fist - Take down other Wizards magic level to let you dominate that phase
Skullmantle - -1 to enemy LD tests
Wyrdstone Necklace -5+ Ward save
6 spells that cast on 3+ and six casting dice. 4 dispel dice.

Tactics: Stay away from melee monsters and spell them to death get in close against Wizards and beat them to death.

W0lf
31-03-2008, 18:58
2nd Gen slaan.
Dominion, Tepok, Diadem
BsB, warbanner.

+2 combat res (or are you all unbreakable?) Fast enough to avoid most combats and overly brutal. Use diadem to save 2 dispel dice and you get 9 Power dice to cast 5 spells that can all have a free dice.

15 Pd anyone?

Copenhagan
31-03-2008, 19:33
High Elf Noble BSB with the Battle Banner, dragon armor, Shield.

If he some how lives the combat res will get the other guy.

Preacher
31-03-2008, 21:20
I have never played a match like this so I m not too sure about all the rules that apply, so everything I type may be just complete garbage, but here goes.

Vampire Lord
Spectral Form(he is etheral so cant be hurt any mundane weapons)
Red Fury(for every would he causes he get to make another attack)
Cadaverous Cuirass( Cannot be harmed by killing blow and poison)
Blood Drinker(For each wound he causes, he gets one back)
Enchanted Shield
+ 1 magic Lvl(so Lvl 3)

Or
Vampire Lord
Spectal Form
Infinite Hatred(always re roll to hit in every round of combat)
Frost Blade (Cause one unsaved wound and the model is completely dead)
+1 Magic lvl

So you can heal yourself on a 4+ and have 3 dice to do it with.

athamas
31-03-2008, 21:34
ok, the rules as i understand them so far...

no secial characters,
no monsters [this inclusdes tree men] or monsterous mounts
raising of units will not be allowed, but most other magic will...
there is currently no points limit
characters will start ~8" appart and die off to see who goes first,
fighting will be as a challenge
combat res will not count, so no breaking from combat... its too the death though fear reactions for attacks in the first round of combat may still apply

im not sure but i think slaan may be a nono aswell due to the stupid amount of magic they can throw out...

if i get any more info ill pass it on to you guys...

thanks for the ideas so far!

SilverWarlock
31-03-2008, 22:37
starting at 8 inches the slann isnt an option because anything mounted will hit him on first turn. So he has a 50/50 chance of auto losing the duel, which means he wont win in a tournament format.

if you dont have combat resolution, the vampires above are decent, but the lvl 4 wizard with speculum still beats anything. Make sure you give him a magic weapon (and preferably a brutally strong one). Sure he wont have a good save, but his opponent gets 1 attack WS3 and S3, so that shouldnt be an issue. Whereas he will take the opponents stats, add an empire magic weapon and go to town on those bad boys.

snyggejygge
31-03-2008, 22:38
a good combination to try would be a slaaneshi chaos lord with the pendant of slaanesh and either slaughters blade or the blade of blood
this means that for every wound you take you'll get +1A, then when you wound the enemy you can restore your wound (while retaining the attack)
it also leaves you with around 45pts to play with for armour or a talisman of your choice

That is actually a very bad combo, either youŽre stuck at S5, unable to even wound most characters youŽll find in these settings, or you will strike last & only be able to heal already lost wounds, not to mention that you lose out on armoursaves by not being able to be mounted, this means that the opponent will probably kill you before you even get a chance to heal back any wounds w. the Blade...
I donŽt understand why Slaaneshi players think this is a good tactic, it only really works against normal infantry, do you really want to use your 400 pts lord killing cheap infantry the entire game?

GrogsnotPowwabomba
01-04-2008, 02:56
Since there is no points limit...

Vampire Lord

Nightmare
Extra Spell Level
Red Fury
Forbidden Lore (Lore of Fire) - Use to cast Flaming Sword of Ruin)
Walach's Bloody Hauberk
Hand of Dust

Hand of Dust comibined with Flaming Sword of Ruin/Red Fury has a very good chance of killing any character in the first round of combat. You will have 2D6 S5 attacks autohitting + 5 S8 attacks hitting on 2+ and any successful wounds granting an additional attack at the same stats. Absolutely brutal...

Mercules
01-04-2008, 03:01
Nightmare is a Monstrous Mount, yes? It has more than one wound?

N810
01-04-2008, 12:21
ummm guys

no secial characters,
no monsters [this inclusdes tree men] or monsterous mounts
I think you are mising the point.

Tarian
01-04-2008, 20:32
Personally, I like my HE Lord in duels.

Barded Elven Steed
Dragon Armor
Shield
Helm of Fortune

-This grants a 1+ rerollable armor save.

Talisman of Saphery

- Treats Magic Weapons as mundane.

Star Lance

- Strength +3 and negates armor saves. (only on the charge!)

For a One v One slugfest, the Foe Bane would be a decent choice, granting a 2+ to wound against anything with 2+ wounds (i.e. all characters)

Granted, you won't kill fast, but you won't die fast either.

BTW, going against the Empire Wizard w/ the stat switching thing isn't too bad with this, since he's still T3 :angel:

GrogsnotPowwabomba
01-04-2008, 21:04
Nightmare is a Monstrous Mount, yes? It has more than one wound?

No a Nightmare is just a Vampire Counts horse.

Famder
01-04-2008, 22:36
Oldblood on Cold One with Quetzl, Itzl, and Whatever other Spawning you desire. Revered Blade of Tzunki, Shield, Light Armor, Aura of Quetzl. 5 Str6 attacks that negate all armor, and you have a 0+ armor save. And most characters are going to be Str 5 or greater anyway so the Aura is best with a 4+ ward. And he causes fear so he might keep a couple characters at bay.

Preston
02-04-2008, 01:08
I have never played a match like this so I m not too sure about all the rules that apply, so everything I type may be just complete garbage, but here goes.

Vampire Lord
Spectral Form(he is etheral so cant be hurt any mundane weapons)
Red Fury(for every would he causes he get to make another attack)
Cadaverous Cuirass( Cannot be harmed by killing blow and poison)
Blood Drinker(For each wound he causes, he gets one back)
Enchanted Shield
+ 1 magic Lvl(so Lvl 3)

Or
Vampire Lord
Spectal Form
Infinite Hatred(always re roll to hit in every round of combat)
Frost Blade (Cause one unsaved wound and the model is completely dead)
+1 Magic lvl

So you can heal yourself on a 4+ and have 3 dice to do it with.

You can't take magic items if you are spectral.

Mercules
02-04-2008, 02:41
No a Nightmare is just a Vampire Counts horse.

I must be thinking of the Winged Nightmare then, right? I don't have the new VC book... Heck I just got the WE book and a bunch of Bulls and Iron Guts. Next... VC 7th Ed. Armybook.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
02-04-2008, 08:27
Haha no worries man... :)

forthegloryofkazadekrund
02-04-2008, 08:37
chaos dwarf bull centaur lord
heavy armour
shield
dark mace of death (or talisman of obsidian if against heavy magic users)

if no limit on magic item points
chaos dwarf bull centaur lord
dark mace of death
talisman of obsidian
armour of gazrakh
gauntlets of bazrakk the cruel

athamas
02-04-2008, 21:18
there is currently no limit of point.. but one is still bound by the limits of your army book selection!