PDA

View Full Version : Help with IG theme

Philhelm
10-10-2005, 21:50
I had tossed up the idea of having an Aliens theme for my IG or even painting them in the new ACU style U.S. military uniform. I love Aliens, but I figure it might be kind of cheesy. The U.S. military is rather bland for 40K. I need a more striking theme. I have plenty of ideas, but with the limitations of the IG miniatures, I am kind of limited. I'd just like some input here that might spark my imagination. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sojourner
10-10-2005, 21:54
Go elite terror troops. Kasrkin all in black, a bit like the enforcer guys in the Judge Dredd film. Get some of the old Bedford stormtroopers too, for a bit of variety. Artillery and gun crew get old Cadian body armour and berets.

Philhelm
10-10-2005, 22:05
I vaguely remember the movie. Would they be a bunch of faceless, ruthless enforcers that are prevalent in futuristic sci-fi films? Maybe like the police force in the movie Equilibrium?

Barbarossa
11-10-2005, 08:13
Or make feral IG from Cadians and WHFB Chaos Marauders. Flails and Lasguns!

Robot 2000
11-10-2005, 11:17
I was thinking about doing a new army based on the Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front in 1944-45 - very battered, worn looking, field grey colour scheme. etc. Of course they'd have been fighting 'Nids so they'd have had a rather different experience from the Germans, but hey :P

Hlokk
11-10-2005, 11:37
Im doing an inquisitorial strike force. (400pts)

Kaserkin in khaki fatigues with red armour. Im thinking, background wise, along the lines of the blue beret search and recovery teams from X-files season 2, episode 1. They will find something, secure the area, and execute anyone within a certain radius they deem to be infected / tainted.

Failing that, why not try a crusade army, which I would do had I not already had a massive guard army. Take priests, loads of rough riders modelled to look like ancient knights (Infact, use warhammer knights), imperial guardsmen with warrior weapons to represent infantry and you'r well away.

Or an Ad-mech army? You could give them the bionic wargear doctrine that gives them the 6+ Invulnerable. In each squad, instead of a heavy weapons trooper, you could have a servitor modelled with a heavy bolter or a lascannon. Give all your sargeants power weapons and thats it.

Wolflord Havoc
11-10-2005, 11:49
How about using a bright colour scheme to represent the glorious colours of the IG Regiments Home world.

IE they don't use Camouflage "for to do so would dishonour the emperor lalalalalalala..etc etc..."

It would certainly be unique!?!?!?!?

Colonel Kebab
11-10-2005, 11:56
One cool theme(in my opinion anyway!) is that of the ww1 empires(Imperial Germany, Russia, Austria-Hungary, etc.) with eagle standards, masses of men supported by heavy bolters and artillery. Perhaps one tank(preferably none) and then some small conversions might be done to make them look more like it.

Sai-Lauren
11-10-2005, 11:57
You don't have to stick with guard figures...

Well, one of my (many :rolleyes: ) guard projects on the go at the moment is a hive world raised army - necromunda orlocks - having managed to find quite a few of the OOP plastics - van saars and delaques.
Don't really like the Cawdors - although for a crusade type force they might look good, goliaths (mostly plastic) are going to be a slaaneshi LaTD, and the Eschers managed to spin off into a guard army of their own.

Main problem is they're not that cheap. But spin them off on their own and you could have (for example) a Dune still suit army using Van Saars, Mad Max/post-apocalypse with Orlocks, or maybe a Yakuza style army with Delaques - might need head swaps, but they're a starting point.

Another one I'm working on is a Merc army - throw lots of different figures together and see what comes out of the mix.:D

the enforcer guys in the Judge Dredd film
The SJS (Special Judicial Squad).

Or make feral IG from Cadians and WHFB Chaos Marauders
Or reverse it, and use either Brettonian or Empire infantry armed with Cadian lasguns.

Is the armageddon site still up, there were plenty of regiments detailed on there that might tickle your fancy (or anything else for that matter :p) - EoT should have some as well if it's up, plus there's the Sabbat Worlds regiments (does any one know if the Vitrians, Bluebloods and any others with doctrines are going to become official?)

How about using a bright colour scheme to represent the glorious colours of the IG Regiments Home world.
Ah, the famous 13th Cadian Infantry regiment - "The Moving Targets" :D

Moi Dix Mois
11-10-2005, 12:12
Do Naval Security. All in matt black uniforms, I don't know much about specifics but if you look on the front of the Malleus book I think the troops in black there might be NS. Apparantly they do some ground based work (again, according to the Eisenhorn trilogy) and they're a highly elite and professional organisation.

Don't know about tanks though...

Philhelm
11-10-2005, 19:26
Actually, one of my ideas had been a WWI German based army as was suggested. I like the spiked helmets. But how would I model the helmets that the Germans had?

Sai-Lauren
12-10-2005, 09:40
Actually, one of my ideas had been a WWI German based army as was suggested. I like the spiked helmets. But how would I model the helmets that the Germans had?
Armageddon Steel Legion (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301313&orignav=10)(can link to GW, can't we?) are probably the closest in terms of helmets, spikes can be moulded from green stuff - you may want to try and make a few, then make a mould for them to mass produce them.

Brothergrimm
14-10-2005, 15:28
http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/imp_forces.html

Hope that helps