PDA

View Full Version : Who feeds Terra?

El_Machinae
30-03-2008, 23:39
Do we have any hard ideas on which planets are food and mineral sources for the Sol system? I'd be curious as to how many other systems are absolutely essential to the survival of Terra. Of course, it draws taxes from many hundreds of worlds and so we'd see products from all over a portion of the galaxy.

But it must have an essential support network. I wonder what that is?

Terminatorphoenix
30-03-2008, 23:47
Suprisingly, most worlds apparantly do through Imperial Tithes however I'd imagine Agri Worlds closest to Terra would do have the job.

Lord Cook
31-03-2008, 01:26
This map (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html) is pretty much the best we have as far as I know. It's not detailed enough to show nearby agri-worlds that supply Terra with food and raw materials, but it gives you an idea of the nearby major worlds, like Ryza.

Faolan
31-03-2008, 05:30
Ohh nice link, Cookie.

Chaplain of Chaos
31-03-2008, 05:43
I wouldn't doubt that stations both in space on Mars and on Terra would have massive agricultural greenhouses to supply foodstuffs. Yet I would gamble that most of their food is shripped from nearby agri-worlds.

nedsta
31-03-2008, 07:34
i quite like the idea of a drive-thru McDonalds at the emperor's palace crewed by the Adeptus Custodes :D

Grey Seer Skretch
31-03-2008, 11:02
i quite like the idea of a drive-thru McDonalds at the emperor's palace crewed by the Adeptus Custodes :D

Yeah thats awesome, run by some kind of uber-prefect with a name like Ronaldus Maccus Donaldus, and defended by a specially selected regiment of elite stormtroopers, the 37th Grimaceian Highlanders... On a similar note, where do the adeptus mechanicus get all their printer paper...? :confused:

Archangel_Ruined
31-03-2008, 11:41
I'd think that a lot of the food in a any hive world, which terra is of course just an upmarket version of, is of questionable origin. I'd say a great deal is recycled or grown in system (I'm not thinking green houses, more fermentation pits like on valhalla), and the really swanky stuff that dignitories and high lords eat is shipped in from all over the galaxy.

Faolan
31-03-2008, 13:06
Ah yes, the common practice of Soylent Green type food!

Goq Gar
31-03-2008, 16:41
On a similar note, where do the adeptus mechanicus get all their printer paper...? :confused:

Yeah, isn't there meant to be a supreme lack of trees on terra?

heretics bane
31-03-2008, 17:12
yeah the place is practicly just a hive city, planet sized. but the emporers palace could have a decent sized woodland in it, since it is the size of europe

El_Machinae
01-04-2008, 00:11
This map (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html) is pretty much the best we have as far as I know. It's not detailed enough to show nearby agri-worlds that supply Terra with food and raw materials, but it gives you an idea of the nearby major worlds, like Ryza.

I have great affection for that map!

I was hoping we had a bit more data about the Infrastructure of Terra. They probably have 'regular' Agriworlds beholden to them, as well as a chain of 'fallback' agriworlds which would prefer Terra to their regular routes, if push came to shove.

Daemonslave
01-04-2008, 11:27
There's plenty of food on Terra - the population itself. Just put a few dead devotees in a blender, add a pinch of salt and there we go, Pilgrim paste!

Mr. Shine
01-04-2008, 13:43
There's plenty of food on Terra - the population itself. Just put a few dead devotees in a blender, add a pinch of salt and there we go, Pilgrim paste!

If it's good enough for Him, then it's good enough for the rest of us :D

That said, I'm inclined to agree with greenhouse-esque agri-stations in orbit or throughout Sol. Otherwise the obvious thing would indeed be Agri-worlds dedicated to Terra and the Sol system.

malika
01-04-2008, 13:48
I think there would be systems more near by than Ryza that can supply Terra with the needed goods. Note that Terra is the centre of the Imperium, so while it might be a Hive World I assume it would be very clean and kosher there...oh yeah and veeeeeeeeeeeeeery prosperous.

Lord Cook
01-04-2008, 14:38
I think there would be systems more near by than Ryza that can supply Terra with the needed goods.

I only said Ryza because it was the nearest major Forgeworld we had a name for. Obviosuly there will be far closer worlds used for supplies of everything from tic tacs to plasma weapons.

malika
01-04-2008, 14:42
Nearest major Forgeworld? What about Mars? :chrome:

Chaplain of Chaos
01-04-2008, 15:31
Mar's isn't a forge world.

malika
01-04-2008, 15:48
Yes it is: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mars

Mars is the 4th planet of the Sol system. It is the domain, headquarters and principal Forge World of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Archangel_Ruined
02-04-2008, 11:22
Mars isn't a forgeworld? What on earth gave you that idea, it is the original and greatest of the forgeworlds, home to multiple titan legions and the high lord of the adeptus mechanicus himself.

Magister
02-04-2008, 12:28
With regard to the post on the green house type thing, its very likely as you can still grow plants on building is you have the topsoil, basically lots and lots of roofgardens perhaps, rather than huge greenhouses. And the traitors destroyed the redwoods in the emperors place in the heresy, and considering the place is now one huge fortress, isn't it a bit unlikely thats there are lots of trees for cover and things like that? But hey, no one really knows i suppose.

Archangel_Ruined
02-04-2008, 13:52
I don't think earth has top-soil that you could grow with, it's a polluted mess. It's far more likely that they'd use single celled funghi for mass food production (that's what quorn is, discovered by research students to end third world hunger, used to prove that vegetarians still want meat really).

Archaon
02-04-2008, 19:09
I'd put my wager on a few agri-worlds whose entire output went to feeding Terra, Mars and all of the solar bases.

If anyone of you read the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov he would know that the old empire in these books has a similar scope.. millions of worlds and one centralized planet where the Emperor and the entire ruling body resided. It is exactly like 40K Terra or Star Wars Coruscant because it is also entirely covered in used space.

This planet is fed by 12 dedicated agri-worlds and i can only assume that Terra has a similar system. Orbital hydroponics or rooftop gardens would be just a drop in a huge bucket.. Terra is the quintessential hiveworld with a population denisty we just can't imagine.

LoneSniperSG
02-04-2008, 19:35
Yeah, isn't there meant to be a supreme lack of trees on terra?

On top of that, water.

The entire Earth.. city.. .. makes me want to leave and move somewhere pretty, like Fenris or Catachan.

Drugmoney420
02-04-2008, 19:38
They probably have a lot of hydroponic facilities to grow food but much of it probably comes from agri worlds.

Lord Cook
02-04-2008, 21:49
Mars... home to multiple titan legions and the high lord of the adeptus mechanicus himself.

Minor trivia. The Fabricator General of Mars holds a seat as a High Lord, but there is no such position as 'High Lord' of the AdMech.

The entire Earth.. city.. .. makes me want to leave and move somewhere pretty, like Fenris or Catachan.

Really? On Catachan even cute fluffy bunnies probably have talons and spit venom.

Mr Carrot
03-04-2008, 02:17
Quick point Earth is the most important critical planet for humans in the galaxy there has to be some kind of planet or orbit based food creation facilities facilitating the best tech the admech has to offer to feed the planet in case of say a system seige, a warpstorm cutting terra off from the imperium etc.

Every contingency has to be covered no matter how unlikely.

Essia
03-04-2008, 03:09
I always thought Terra would be self sufficient. inplanet.
It is the last bastion of humanity, with the Big E, Astronomicon, Once home world to a space marine legion.

It has to stand up to unexpected assault, however unlikely it can happen. (like say maybe, The Horus Heresy?)

You can produce enormous amounts of foodstuff if it is grown from tanks like the Vahallans. Its just a matter of taste. Plus there are always tens of thousands of psyker corpses that can be recycled (tasty wyrd hotdogs..... hmmmmmm).The nobility would have delicacies imported form all across the Imperium.

Archangel_Ruined
03-04-2008, 13:11
It isn't a taste issue, quorn is grown in tanks for its high protein, low fat content, and massive ammounts of food can be produced this way from almost any base feed (I am thinking liquidised dead people here, a perfect feedstock for any single celled life). You slap the ingredients in a tank for a week, keep it warm and then harvest the growth. It is far more efficient than plants in both space, energy input, energy return and time. You can do this anywhere, almost for free if geothermal energy is used, and the food recieved is actually far better suited than any grain as a dietry staple. Agri worlds around terra would probably only produce the ritzier food, such as fruits, for the nobility, as vitamins wouldn't be too important in general as they can be manufactured far more easily than providing them in their naturally occuring forms in the diet. It's all a case of simple economics, I doubt terra would rely on any off planet resources for its ongoing survival for strategic reasons alone, nevermind the logistical nightmare of transporting enough food to nourish a hiveworld. Come to think of it, I doubt it would even be possible to grow that much food, considering the area of farmland required to feed even a small city today. If the city in question was the size of a planet, and with a population density far higher than anything in the real world, it would take thousands of worlds to grow enough food for just that one planet. This isn't an exaggeration, as Terra is almost entirely covered with hives, but planets cannot produce food on a mass scale across their entire surface, so if we assume that a maximum 2/3rds of an agriworld's land mass can grow food on an industrial scale, and that most agri worlds have roughly the same land mass as Terra (1/3rd), then only 2/9ths of an agriworld is utilised for food production, as opposed to nearly 1/3rd of Terra that is inhabited. Looking at this shows is really wouldn't be viable to produce food this way.

Iracundus
04-04-2008, 00:23
Hiveworlds around the galaxy rely on food imports to survive. Just read up on hiveworld background such as Necromunda's, or from such areas as Dark Heresy. Terra is no different from any other hiveworld in that regard. There are simply too many people for recycling and limited on world production to fully feed. It's no different from major cities being reliant on food imports, just on a different scale. To a person from an earlier era, it would have seemed "impossible" for such large cities to be reliant on a steady stream of food imports. While it is a strategic weak link, food has always been a weak link of major settlements, so I don't see why people should suddenly think just because it is the capital world of the Imperium it would not be a weakpoint.

El_Machinae
05-04-2008, 00:30
I always thought Terra would be self sufficient. inplanet.
It is the last bastion of humanity, with the Big E, Astronomicon, Once home world to a space marine legion.

It has to stand up to unexpected assault, however unlikely it can happen. (like say maybe, The Horus Heresy?)

You can produce enormous amounts of foodstuff if it is grown from tanks like the Vahallans. Its just a matter of taste. Plus there are always tens of thousands of psyker corpses that can be recycled (tasty wyrd hotdogs..... hmmmmmm).The nobility would have delicacies imported form all across the Imperium.

It's important enough to be self-sufficient, but it probably isn't. There's a scarcity of resources, and Terra likely survives mainly due to the massive tax income it brings in. They need all the available space just for all the bureaucrats, and then use taxes to support those bureaucrats.

Just like your nation's capital. Chances are that it bring in money from all over the country, and uses that income as a major portion of its income.