PDA

View Full Version : Special Characters

Forse
31-03-2008, 17:31
What are the 7th edition rules on SC's?

Are they allowed without asking the opponent?

And is it allowed to convert a SC, and still use his rules?

Finally, is it allowed to use a SC, but change his name? For example, using Karl Franz stats and model, but change his name to Kurt the Fop?

I'm speaking both tournaments and other games.

Thanks in advance.

Gorbad Ironclaw
31-03-2008, 17:33
Just like in 6th edition, there are no restrictions on when you can use special characters outside of having the points/slots to do it.

Tournaments is different and often have there own restrictions(lots don't allow special characters at all).

As for converting the model or renaming them or similar, go ahead.

Braad
31-03-2008, 19:02
An special character that is given in the armybook or online by GW, that does not have a line like "this character has not been playtested that well, so ask your opponents advise" is just that, usable without permission.

In 6th, Grimgor and Wurzag for the O&G book were just as legal without permission as the O&G SC are now.

Actually, apart from Grimgor, the O&G SC are not overpowered or such, and I don't see why anyone would object anyway.

The name never bothers, as long as you use legal stats.

kris.sherriff
31-03-2008, 20:46
My only point would be that if you convert your own guy and wanted to use a SC rules for him that you told me when he was deployed what rules you were using for him. I.E.
This converted empire dude here actualy uses Karl Franz's rules.

Kris

01-04-2008, 03:12
yeah ensure you inform your opponent that the model is using so-and-so's stats.

last thing I want to do is charge a nice looking models then you tell me oh thats Archon the everchose.....WHAAAA

(of course I shoudl be able to guess cause youd have 2 other models on the table to begine with)

T10
01-04-2008, 08:31
Finally, is it allowed to use a SC, but change his name? For example, using Karl Franz stats and model, but change his name to Kurt the Fop?

Player A: "... and that's my general."

Player B: "Hey, that model looks familiar. Is that Karl Franz?"

Player A: "No, it's Kurt the Fop."

Player B: "Ok then. If it had been Karl Franz I would have been really worried and made sure to adjust my tactics accordingly."

Player A: "Roll for first turn?"

-T10

Braad
01-04-2008, 12:34
Player A: "No, it's Kurt the Fop."

Okay... of course you have to make sure your opponent knows what rules-set you are using.
But for fluffy background stories, you can fill in whatever name you like.

eleveninches
02-04-2008, 10:49
Most 7th edition army books dont have special charachters as such. Instead they are in the proper army list as charachter choices. I think the dwarves are the only exception to this

T10
02-04-2008, 11:38
The latest Dwarf Army List predates the release of 7th edition.

-T10

Angelwing
02-04-2008, 12:51
Most 7th edition army books dont have special charachters as such. Instead they are in the proper army list as charachter choices.

They are referred to as special characters in the new VC book.

eleveninches
03-04-2008, 09:38
Really? I could have sworn that they were in the army list proper, counting as normal hero/lord choices

Atrahasis
03-04-2008, 09:42
Regardless of where they appear in the book, they're still special characters.

eleveninches
03-04-2008, 09:49
I meant that they dont just count as specialcharachters as in 6th edition, where they were not part of the proper army list. They are regular choices now, so no permission is needed to use the charachters from 7th edition army books

Atrahasis
03-04-2008, 09:54
No permission was needed in 6th either.

EvC
03-04-2008, 11:12
Yep, that's a long-standing myth that you needed opponent's permission. However the books have simply been modified since 7th edition to make this even clearer, plus they no longer take additional character slots.

Milgram
03-04-2008, 13:01
It's more of a general habit that many people do not like special characters. but as they are more 'family friendly' nowerdays, I try to get my friends to a general 'allowedness' of special characters. ;)

/edit: we also use other 'friendship' rules here when it comes to army composition. I try to get rid of all of them...

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-04-2008, 13:04
They were just as easily usable in 6th edition as they are now.The only difference between how the recent book have done special characters and how it was through all of 6th edition is that instead of being printed after the army list they are printed up front with the other characters. In short, nothing have changed except for a bit of layout.

Lordmonkey
04-04-2008, 01:52
Special Characters are stupid. Make up your own instead of bandwagonning GW's fluff... :D

Having said that, I beleive it's down to the army list entry in the book in question - most current books specify that you need your opponents permission in order to use them, but the newest, 7th ed. ones do not. The idea is that they are no longer overpowered.

Drycha. Deep-striking treemen. Not overpowered. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

EvC
04-04-2008, 09:38
I'd rather face Drycha and deepstriking Treemen than her cousins Mr Ancient with Annoyance, Mr regular Treeman and their mate Benny the flagwaver ;)

T10
04-04-2008, 09:47
most current books specify that you need your opponents permission in order to use them, but the newest, 7th ed. ones do not.

Please name one Special Character that requires opponent permission to use. If you can find even one within the current army books then I shall toast your name with whiskey!

-T10