PDA

View Full Version : vc vs gobo

DarkStarr
01-04-2008, 01:14
How would you guys beat a night goblin army with 14 units of 10 night gobo's and 42 fanatics? Not sure what the rest of the army will have in it. Im thinking just running up some wolves to draw out the fanatics and let them destroy his army, and hope for a winds of undeath cast, and possibly summon up some zombies but not sure exactly. Oh and is his list leagal to include 14 units of night gobos with 42 fanatics?

Also with multiple small units of night gobo's they will die easy, once my wolves have drawn out some fanatics on one side I could fly in a couple vamps out of a ghoul unit and start taking out his army from one side to the other and a varghulf also. What are your thougts, this army does not scare me but some feedback would be appreciated.

xragg
01-04-2008, 01:33
I thought night goblins unit size was 20+

fubukii
01-04-2008, 01:37
well i would say he is cheating since night gobs ae a 20 man unit min.

Id summon zombies in front of his units, then draw out the fanactics and laugh as they kill and panic his whole army by turn 2 or 3. u could also use etheral units such as wraiths or spirit hosts to laugh at his silly gobs and make his army run with terror/fear, it may be more fun then spamming spells and winning by turn 3 :P

Lord Dan
01-04-2008, 02:17
Well, I'm guessing his list will be consolidated to 7 units and 21 fanatics. In which case just send a unit of wraiths up early in the game and run them past his line. Not only do they cause terror, but they force out the fanatics within 8 inches of a unit. In some cases, this will force fanatics through other night goblin units, AND if you do it fast enough he'll end up doing more damage to himself than to you.

Hinge01
01-04-2008, 02:21
I was under the impression that fanatics did not need to be launched at the unit that triggered them? Rather, they could be sent in any direction.

Other then that, Wraiths are the way to go.

Hengl

corvo
01-04-2008, 02:37
Just to clear up the fanatic stuff.

When another units moves into the 8 inch zone, they are launched. But they can be launched in any direction the controlling player wants. If a unit suddenly appears within 8inch, such as by being summoned, the fanatics are sent off in a random direction. I am pretty sure that this is the case in the current edition, though I don't have my rule book handy atm. Someone else will be along shortly to correct me if i an wrong.

Just raise zombies next to them, and race your wraiths down the line behind him. Have fell bats near by to charge anyone still fleeing next turn.

Goldenwolf
01-04-2008, 05:08
Wraiths, Fell Bats, and Zombie Raising. He will hit some of your stuff with Fanatics, just raise more.

Zombies, Fell Bats and Wraiths will release the Fanatics, and he can aim them in any direction he wants. Just make sure you get them to release so he needs 2-3 good rolls to hurt you. Have units of Zombies move and stop on Fanatics, killing them. Have Fell Bats release them by swooping in Quick.

Remember:
If a Fanatic hits ANY piece of Terrain it dies.
If a NG unit that has not released Fanatics flees it tramples it's own Fanatics.
Concentrate all of your magical pain on the flank with your heavy hitters, but load up on the other flank with Wraiths. Anyone outside the 12" range of his general has a LD of 5, unless they have a NG character, so make them pay from your Terror and Fear causing troops.

Hope this helps.

DarkStarr
01-04-2008, 05:37
Yeah it does, I think the army is going to be 280 night gobo's with 42 fanatics and that wont leave him much points for a leader or dispell dice.

Knighta
01-04-2008, 05:51
Use those etheral dudes... Wont need to worry about the fanatic hits, right?

DarkStarr
01-04-2008, 05:55
yeah thats why wraiths and casting winds of undeath summoning spirit hosts would ruin his army while the fanatics tore the rest of it up. And if I kept the rest of my units in or near terrain then the fanatics wont be able to hit them if they die hitting the terrain first.

Oh and does winds of undeath wound each modle in the unit on a 4 plus or does it just wound one modle per unit on a 4 plus?

Khorneflakes
01-04-2008, 07:14
it wounds one model per unit so only 1 roll per unit therefore the more units the more rolls and more chances of getting a 4

warlord hack'a
01-04-2008, 07:21
no longer are fanatics released randomly when something suddenly appears within 8 inch. that was 6th edition and earlier, in 7th they got rid of that rule.

But for the rest it is not smart to take fanatics against undead due to all the ethereal and summoning they can do.

crimslain
01-04-2008, 13:07
DO fanatics count as a single unit per fanatic when it comes to the wind of Undeath spell or would you not roll for each one if the spell was cast?

crimslain
01-04-2008, 13:12
also, how does overrun work with fanatics? Example: 2 units of night goblins are say 2 inch apart from each other. I flank charge them with my black knights, I make the unit flee and overrun into the next unit. I know the fanatics would be released when I was 8 inchs away, but it would be a loopwhole, since no matter what they rolled, I would still hit them since I was overrunning into the unit, but at the same time, they would have to release it into the fleeing unit of gobbos. Can they do that, and do I understand this correctly...?

sephiroth87
01-04-2008, 16:30
The fanatic immediately stops any phase where an enemy unit comes within 8'' of a night goblin unit containing said fanatic.

They can release the fanatics in whatever direction they want. They can even throw the fanatics into other night goblin units if that suits them.

If you overrun and move within 8'' of a unit, you immediately stop and the fanatic gets thrown out of the unit. Then you keep moving. If your move gets you within 8'' with another unit containing a fanatic, the phase immediately stops again to throw out whatever fanatics are at 8'' range.

As far as his list goes, the other posters are right. Minimum size for a night goblin unit is 20 regular night goblins. As far as what I would do, I would send up a small zombie unit of ONE rank. Send them all up locked arm in arm, and set off all the fanatics that you can. Then don't even move if possible, or send something in that's immune to the fanatics, like spirit hosts.

On whether the fanatics are separate units, the Orc and Goblin FAQ treats them as separate units for the waaaagh! magic spell. I'd say they're separate units for the purposes of winds of death.

crimslain
01-04-2008, 20:10
Thx for the info, could you imagine setting off 20 fanatics, then casting wind of Undeath. that would be sick, just to even think about. Well gotta buy more spirit hosts I think.

warlord hack'a
02-04-2008, 07:28
yep, it would, but taking 20 fanatics in the first place is sick as well.. I play 2250 and I field 5 maximum, that is usually enough to either take care of enemy knights or seriously damage the first good close combat unit it sends after me.

Nkari
02-04-2008, 08:16
And yes.. Fanatics count as single units.. so you have 28 unit.. :P or 4 full spirithosts.. =)