PDA

View Full Version : Is a zombie horde cheese?

Grey Seer Skretch
01-04-2008, 08:38
I'm plotting a massive zombie horde b-movie style for my vampire counts army. Anyone used one or played vs one? I'm talking, like, two units of 80 - 100 zombies as the core units in 2000 points here. What do people think?

Abhorash
01-04-2008, 08:45
Just take alot casters and make your army with magic. Works better i think.

][nquist0r
01-04-2008, 09:04
zombies cannot pursue even if they win combat. I dont think they get rank modifiers either now do they? All they are good for is tarpitting and casting behind units to march block. Id say that your in for some pretty boring, and unsatisfying games.

FurryMiguell
01-04-2008, 10:11
i used to play a zombie horde in the last book. it was great fun! (I had some GG and black knights, but they were converted to look like zombies) I think you still could have a fun game, though I dont have the new book yet, so I dont know.

The only bi problem with zombies are painting them. its so boring!!!

Cheers:D

Grey Seer Skretch
01-04-2008, 12:42
[nquist0r;2486379']zombies cannot pursue even if they win combat. I dont think they get rank modifiers either now do they? All they are good for is tarpitting and casting behind units to march block. Id say that your in for some pretty boring, and unsatisfying games.

In fairness they do still get rank bonus, and for every rank of them when (if) their opponents break, they cause hits. I'm thinking a huge, rolling wall of them converted to represent an entire Empire town plus its local militia risen en-masse. This would be lead by a small but nasty coven of vampires, accompanied by a brood of ghouls and beasties to represent their vile minions (and to give me some manouverability and clout in gaming terms)... It'd be very B-Movie-esque, and would be used mostly against opponents up for quite a themic game...

DeathlessDraich
01-04-2008, 13:04
I experimented with an all zombie army in the last army book.

1 game against Empire and 1 against Ogres proved to me it wasn't a good idea.
On average, about 12-14 zombies will be destroyed by a single charging cavalry unit.
Against a unit with a charcter, it is possible that 20 zombies will be destroyed after a single round of combat.
The zombie unit sizes have to be 30 or so, reducing the total number of units.

Present army book:
1) The new VC zombies are even more frail and can only be counted on to hold elite enemy units for 1 or 2 turns

2) Any raised zombie unit (from Raise dead) becomes soft targets and an easy 50 victory points

3) Characters will be isolated since they cannot join zombies.

I think it is necessary to combine zombies with stronger units plus units which characters can join.
A pure zombie horde will not work.

Diakos
01-04-2008, 13:16
Splashing in some ghouls to represent the newer style "running zombies", might help, also some dire-wolves for Zombie hounds could work.

crimslain
01-04-2008, 13:21
Remeber with the new zombies, every time you cast IoN you get not D6 zombies, but D6+4 zombies. I think you need more than just zombies in an army, but you can start out with min. size and be at 60-80 in a single round with Mod. dice rolls.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 14:00
Dont forget if you Vampire has the Sceptre de Noirt(sp.) he gets D6+9!!!

Walls
01-04-2008, 23:35
If zombies kill someone, do they become zombies?

Not only do I think this army isn't cheese, I think George Romero would be proud! I would love to do one.

DarkStarr
02-04-2008, 00:52
I dont think it would be cheese at all, but quite posibly could hold a unit infinantly, That is only 640 points for 160 zombies, moving them around may be a huge problem.

I think zombies are great for drawing out fanatics and casting behind frontline uints to catch them from running and rear charging, and tying up warmachines. But whos to say you cant have 160 of them and just cast more.

Darkangeldentist
02-04-2008, 01:12
I know someone who fielded a zombie horde using the new vampire book. It was looked sick on paper and was just dire to see.

Mannfred and various vampires in a grave guard unit with the regeneration banner (all had master of the dark arts) and some 200+ zombies in 4 units with another 100 more waiting to be brought on. It was just sickening to watch as even a second generation slaan and saurus struggled to make any impact on the horde.

How you decide to play will dictate whether or not it's cheese. The above was entirely characterful for the endless tide of zombies but I'm not convinced it's any fun to face. Half a dozen invocations later Mannfred suddenly decides to sacrifice a wound and casts a couple of big spells and then lets his thralls heal the wound back. Try coping with that kind of magic phase in 2000pts (some 17 power dice).

CaptScott
02-04-2008, 01:49
Personally I think it could be awesome to play against such a list. I mean, how fun would hacking through a rampaging horde of zombies be, just like a B-grade flick!

Moratrs to begin with of course, zombie parts flying everywhere, followed by a frontal charge by the good Swordsmen of the Empire, more zombie parts flying everywhere, a timely flank charge by a Knightly Order, more zombie parts flying everwhere, I'm laughing just thinking about it!

Of course I'm sure the fun would wear off after the first few games, and then they would just be a pain, but still not cheesy.

Lord Dan
02-04-2008, 04:22
Dont forget if you Vampire has the Sceptre de Noirt(sp.) he gets D6+9!!!

Actually it's D3+9, and can only be used on the Raise Dead spell, not IoN.

WusteGeist
02-04-2008, 04:30
All I can say on the zombie army is that you will lock yourself into a game of raise the dead to support the zombie blocks. As you will loose a ton of zombies every single combat they get into. Even a skink can hit and wound each zombie it faces. Sad truth is skinks could actually win combat against the new zombies. So you will have to pour a ton of support into the zombie blocks. They will win no combat and can not chase anything. If you can make it work power to you. But making it work....

Luisjoey
05-04-2008, 07:56
Play this army if you go against soft adversaries; if they put lots of magic and strong units that would be a big masacre for the zombies.

I like zombies too but with the stats there are lots of better things! :(

praesto
05-04-2008, 09:33
Tarpit requires hitting-power assistance, ie. not more zombies....other stuff. And let's be completely honest; even if you have hitting power to assist them, you will need a bunch of kills to win the combat, because they have your units of 80+ zombies to harvest CR from.

With that said, I really applaud the fluff behind the huge chunks of rotten meat army.

Spirit
05-04-2008, 09:58
[nquist0r;2486379']zombies cannot pursue even if they win combat. I dont think they get rank modifiers either now do they? All they are good for is tarpitting and casting behind units to march block. Id say that your in for some pretty boring, and unsatisfying games.

2 units of 5 fell bats to instagib any unit that flees. Problem solved.

Add some varghulfs for combat resolution. That might just work.

Urgat
05-04-2008, 10:15
Not many armies that would let these two fell bat units survive for long, though. Everybody has plenty of stuff to deal with them, and if you get the choice between shooting at a 100+ zombie unit and a group of fellbats, what would you choose? :p

treben1234
05-04-2008, 13:07
zombies, dire wolfs, gouls, fellbats, bat swarms, vangulf, and bloodkights. These sould fit the fluff. You will be missing out on armoured troops but you could convert some othere models to look like zombies but with armour. Think of the fun you can have. Have zombies with swords and shields nailed to them so all you have to do is make sure they face the enemy. Grave Guard are too good to be zombies same goes with Wright Kings.