PDA

View Full Version : Decisions?

phoenixcrh
01-04-2008, 15:26
Which of these two armies would you choose to go up against a blind tournemant?

LIST NUMBER 1

General.
Hero. (Kazrik Braybak).
Thane with a runic axe (master rune of swiftness, rune of cleaving), runic shield (rune of stone) and a runic horn (master rune of challenge) = 142. (goes with warriors)

Core Units.
*19 warriors with shields and full command = 196.

2*10 thunderers with shields = 300.

Special Units.
*20 hammerers with shields, a standard bearer and a runic standard (rune of determination) = 292.

*20 hammerers with shields, a standard bearer and a runic standard (rune of determination, rune of warding) = 307.

Runic cannon (rune of forging) = 125.

Rare Units.
Organ gun = 120.

= 1497.

PD 0 DD 4
MODELS 80 + 2 War Machines

Deployment -
Cannon Thunderers Hammerers Warriors Hammerers Thunderers OrganGun

LIST NUMBER 2

General.
Hero. (Kazrik Braybak).
Thane with a runic axe (master rune of swiftness, rune of cleaving), runic shield (rune of stone) and a runic horn (master rune of challenge) = 142. (goes with warriors)

*2 master engineers with great weapons and runic armour (rune of stone) = 158. (goes with bolt throwers)

Core Units.
*19 warriors with shields, a veteran and a standard bearer = 191.

2*10 quarrellers with great weapons = 260.

Special Units.
*20 ironbreakers with a standard bearer and a runic standard (rune of battle) = 297.

*20 ironbreakers with a standard bearer and a runic standard (rune of battle, ancestor rune) = 307.

Runic bolt thrower (rune of penetrating) = 70.

Runic bolt thrower (rune of penetrating, rune of burning) = 75.

= 1500.

PD 0 DD 4
MODELS 80 + 2 Bolt Throwers

Deployment -
Quarrellers IronBreakers Warriors IronBreakers Quarrellers BoltThrower BoltThrower

I like the first because it has alot of black powder weapons and is stubborn, but I like the second because it is a themed underway patrol with good shooting and lots of ironbreakers :D Any advice would be appreciated...

phoenixcrh
03-04-2008, 00:37
bump bump bump

Arguleon-veq
03-04-2008, 01:15
I'd mix it up.

Id take the Quarellers and Bolt Throwers in the first list.

The Bolt Throwers are just flat better than the Cannon, although I would deffo add an Engineer to both.

The Quarellers with Great Weapons will be great in the first list as your Hammeres will definatley stick around, this will allow you to get those Quarellers in on the enemies flanks. I dont really get the Rune of Determination on the Hammers, go for Stoicism for the extra combat res and in case you face Undead.

phoenixcrh
03-04-2008, 01:52
I could mix it up thats not a problem :) but the master engineers go with the bolt throwers and the rune of determination allows me to role a break test on 1d6 with stubborn... making them unbreakable for a turn ;) Thanks.

Dead Man Walking
03-04-2008, 04:09
You want your master rune of challenge char in the hammerer unit. People try to avoid getting stuck in hammerers, this forces them in. Also you want to force units into a combat that the enemy has no chance of breaking (runic banner of immune to fear and terror + break test on 1d6=autopass.) which would be your hammerers not your warriors. Then after you take the charge you counter charge with the warriors in the flank and then you -will- win combat. Always use hand weapon shield.

Characters should take great weapons, not runic weapons. Dwarf fighters are middle line butt kickers, they have a hard time reaching str 7 like most characters. Spending 50+ points on a weapon is unneeded when you can take a great weapon and a 1+ armor save + magic resistance + master rune of challenge. Magic resistance helps the whole unit when a character has it.

I never field engineers, they are nice but you really need your characters as BSB's (which you need in a stubborn army), Challenge thanes/lords and runesmiths. You dont -really- need them on bolt throwers to hit well, and upgrading a cannon to d6 wounds for so many points is probably not as good as actually spending the points on 2 cannons.

I would also field several bolt throwers over 1 organ gun. Rune of penetrating is great at cracking open infantry and chariots.

I never field crossbows, riflers do the job better, they hit easier and the enemy has a harder time saving those wounds.