PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt At Vampire Counts Army...

Kabal of The Ordo Mallius
01-04-2008, 15:31
I'll start off quickly. I'm getting into fantasy, I have an okay understanding of the rules, and I used to play wh40k before it got boring. I will be playing Vampire Counts. Here are the models i currently own:
-Vlad Von Carstein
-Vampiress
-Corpse Cart
-Varghaulf
-20 Grave Guard
-20 Skeletons
-20 Zombies
-10 Crypt Ghouls
-10 Dire Wolves

I realize my core section is a little weak, but this is the 1000 point list I have attempted to make using the models I own:

Vampire + Dark Acolyte + Lore of Dead + Flayed Hauberk + Gem of Blood (195)
Necromancer + Sceptre De Noiret + Corpse Cart (155)
Necromancer + Biting Blade (60)
20 Skeletons with Full Command (180)
16 Grave Guard with Full Command + Icon of Vengence (247)
10 Dire Wolves (two 5-man units) (80)
10 Crypt Ghouls (80)

TOTAL: 997 points

My idea is to use my characters to own the magic phase through crap-tonnes of power dice. The vampire will use IoN to get more skeletons, the Corpse Cart Necro will create zombie units, and the last necro will use IoN to replenish units. I will be buying more skeletons and zombies soon so I can stop using fill-ins for newly-risen units. I have considered dropping the Gem of Blood, Icon of Vengence, and Biting Blade to free up 55 points, but I don't know what else to spend the points on. I am considering an unholy lodestone. Ever since my vampire general got owned by a saurus scar veteren I am very timid about combat (hence the reason for the Gem of Blood). So any thoughts about my list? Is it cheesy or even good?

Lord Dan
02-04-2008, 05:04
Not bad. First, drop the biting blade on the necromancer. I don't care if it's only 5 points. He shouldn't be arming himself for combats he shouldn't be getting into. (That's asking for bad things in this game) There's 5 points.

Drop the gem of blood on the vampire and give him some type of weapon. I would reccomend the sword of battle. This leaves you with 10 more points.

Drop a grave guard model. There's another 12. Instead of the icon of vengeance I'd reccomend a war banner, but really that's up to you. It's always been my opinion that if your general dies the game is lost anyway. Fluffwise, my vampire lord's bodyguard would never hang around if my general died.

With your newfound 27 points you can do one of a few things:

-Upgrade your corpse cart with one of its shiny abilities
-Give one of your necromancers a scroll

That's pretty much it, actually. Totally your call.

Good start. Keep em' coming!

Krog Ironclaw
02-04-2008, 05:15
Nice start. But for 1K points, I wouldn't take more than 10 Grave Guard. Just because those points are more wisely spent on core units in such small scale games. The biggest keys to winning with VC are strong magic (which it has in spades now) and weight in numbers. Those 6 Grave Guard that you'd drop would give you another small unit of Skellies or Zombies.

smarr10
02-04-2008, 05:33
I wouldn't use the Icon of Vengeance, it's just a personal opinion but it's like you believe your general is going to die before you even start the battle. Think positive, he will live and lead the GG to victory. In this case I would choose a different standard, perhaps the Banner of the Dead Legion, when you win combat your unit strength is doubled. You're likely to outnumber your enemy so they auto-flee. Or perhaps the Royal Standard of Strigos, there is nothing so satisfying as taking those missed hits and rolling them again.

I would also ditch the Gem of Blood. Think positive, no one is going to touch your general. Give him the Sword of Battle, this will give him an extra (re-rolled?) attack. With his In, WS and St he should eliminate any models in contact with him. Any attacks that get through, well, that's what the 2+ Flayed Hauberk is for.

I would not arm your necromancers. They are relatively weak and are in your army for their spells, not their combat. Take off the Biting Blade and save yourself 5 points. This should leave you with enough points to add some models to existing units.

Be positive and seek out battle quickly. your troops should prevail, especially with hordes of Zombies to help you flank.

02-04-2008, 13:36
Revised list:

Vampire + Dark Acolyte + Lore of Dead + Flayed Hauberk + Sword of Battle (185)
Necromancer + Sceptre De Noirot + Corpse Cart + Unholy Lodestone (180)
Necromancer (55)
20 Skeletons with Full Command (180)
15 Grave Guard with Full Command + Legion of the Dead Banner(235)
10 Dire Wolves (two 5-man units) (80)
10 Crypt Ghouls (80)

TOTAL: 995

I'll wait until i play a few more games to decide whether to decrease the GG size from 15 to 10. Also, what strategy should i aim for when using vampire counts? It seems whenever I add my zombies to the fray they give the enemy free combat res. points. I also find that my ghouls and wolves die too quickly due to lack of armour.

splat
02-04-2008, 14:21
I don't think zombies are anything more than a pure tarpit unit now. by that I mean don't use them to flank and if they are in combat with something already don't flank that unit inless you can be sure to break them in the 1st round of combat even with 8 zombies dieing (or however many the unit could kill in one round of combat).

AnotherZach
02-04-2008, 20:38
Like you mention, its really quite dangerous to add a zombie unit to any serious combat. Throw a decent sized unit of them at either big expensive monsters (dragons, giants) or really high strength enemy units who would wound your normal T3 troops on a 2+ and keep them occupied for 1-2 turns. In some cases the zombie unit may need to be quite large, say 20+.

If you're trying to tie up a unit like this, try to place the zombies so that they block a charge, but angle them so that the enemy is forced to wheel when charging. If you do it right, even once the enemy unit destroys the zombies, they'll be in a position where they can't see any of your army and will have to waste another turn turning around.

Other good uses are march blocking, placing a unit behind an enemy who is about to flee from a close combat, claiming objectives, flushing skirmishers out of woods and harassing light cavalry (they might actually beat light cav!).

03-04-2008, 12:15
At least now i know how to use zombies properly. They do suck.. but they have their uses.

Lord Dan
03-04-2008, 15:54
Oohh, drop unholy loadstone. Several reasons:

- +1 wound per casting of IoN is not worth 25 points. +1 to cast wound be.
- In larger battles, Unholy Loadstones DO NOT stack. That means you have have 5 of them near a unit being raised, and you're still only getting +1 wound.

- -1 casting for enemy wizards makes their spells harder to cast, but also easier for you to dispel. All of a sudden people are using 3 dice for spells that need 7's to go off.
- In larger battles, Balefire DOES stack. 5 balefire could = -5 to cast for enemy wizards.