PDA

View Full Version : MkI Thunder Armour - Pre-Heresy Madness Continues!

brotherAkkyshan
01-04-2008, 22:38
Ok, here's the thing... I've never been known for my ability to concentrate on any one thing for more than five minutes! With this in mind, I am starting up my second project log of the week. Already finding it hard working solely on my Heresy-era Thousand Sons I've decided to delve a little further into the wonderful history of the Warhammer 40k universe... the Unification Wars era!

This project will be concerned with turning this little pile of bits 'n' bobs...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/ThousandSons/ThousandSons1001.jpg?t=1207085201

... into something resembling this fella!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/91px-SM-MKI-02.jpg?t=1207663949

I am also accumulating and reading as much pre-crusade information as I can get my hands on, so if any anyone has anything to offer please feel free to chip in!

Triggerdog
01-04-2008, 22:40
Horus Herset Graphic Novels (Collected Visions) are so full of awesome and win that your head might explode.

Deus Ruinus
01-04-2008, 22:40
hmm, this will be very interesting to be honest! but i doubt the marines will like it! if i remeber when the marine looked back at the mk1 thunder armour they think its the crudest thing they have ever worn!

Triggerdog
01-04-2008, 22:53
@ Deus Ruinus

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/Nabondius/40k/1205267204109.jpg

well the Pokemon Slowpoke seems to like it just fine.

Deus Ruinus
01-04-2008, 22:57
Tested on slowpoke? guess thats why the marines didnt get along with it then, it was tested on slowpokes! not superhumans! *sigh*

Daemonslave
01-04-2008, 23:53
This looks interesting - subscribed.

I am also accumulating and reading as much pre-crusade information as I can get my hands on, so if any anyone has anything to offer please feel free to chip in!

Check out the Lost Legions link in my sig, there's a bit of pre-crusade stuff there. Anything else you want to know just ask, at the risk of sounding big headed I'm fairly knowledgable on that specific timeline.

Brother-Captain De Angele
02-04-2008, 08:12
what in the name of waaaghhh! is going on, why is the slowpoke in thunderers armour? the god emperor would not be happy......
oh and this should be an interesting project.

Morning Wood
02-04-2008, 08:57
Watching with keen interest.
Also, who drew the slowpoke? I like it. :)

synapse
02-04-2008, 09:23
looking forward to seeing the finished product!

vice
02-04-2008, 10:09
Slowpoke is slooow.

Hell, another channer.

I think this will be an interesting log, you don't see very many Mk1 marines, less an army of them. Good luck.

PondaNagura
02-04-2008, 16:09
yay my favorite history subject!
thing is there really isnt much info other than a few paragraphs strewn about here or there found mostly in the newer books. i haven't really seen much in the old realms of chaos books, that hasn't been re-iterated in the HH series (artbooks/novels).

it was a more or less lawless time, where nations rose and fell like the remaining buried tides of terra. if you weren't of importance, then you probably weren't recorded.
what is recorded and what remains is borderline myth/legend where the true events have probably been distorted either by the initial author, or later persons for dramatic effect/based on own superstitions...similar to the myths/legends of paleo-cultures

i'd almost look more at the style of the gaming culture at time in which 40k was founded in...the unification wars seem to be a call back to those times when mohawks with studded leather were still cool, robots and cybernmetic warriors ran rampant, and every woman was a mimic to Heavy Metal.

synapse
02-04-2008, 16:21
i'd almost look more at the style of the gaming culture at time in which 40k was founded in...the unification wars seem to be a call back to those times when mohawks with studded leather were still cool, robots and cybernmetic warriors ran rampant, and every woman was a mimic to Heavy Metal.

how very true! do you think if marine scouts we first released today, they would have had mohawks? or is squats came out today that theyd have leather jackets? i think not!

brotherAkkyshan
02-04-2008, 22:29
Sorry folks, there was due to be an update tonight but whilst green stuffing the backs of the legs (which had been painstakingly lengthend the night before!) the legs came apart at the joins! So its back to the cutting board with another pair of legs. Still working on ideas for the torso too! Have had a little practice at making some lightning symbols from both greenstuff and thin plasticard. Hopefully have some pics in the next day or two.

This is the drawing from the Space Marine Painting Guide that I'm working from.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/mk1_thunder.jpg?t=1207664055

Also although I'm using Synapses tru-scale/terminator method for this guy, the rest of the squad will be made using regular Marine legs, arms, etc. The idea being that this guy will be more Astartes than the other, less genetically altered Proto-Astartes.

Wolfblade670
03-04-2008, 05:49
Dammnit, you beat me to it. Oh well. Can't wait to see your work!

brotherAkkyshan
03-04-2008, 23:05
Ok, as promised here is the latest update. These are the updated legs, and I think the pose is slightly better than the pair that broke!

I've gone for fur covering the legs, rather than chainmail, because I prefer the look! That and my attempts at greenstuff chainmail were pretty blurgh to be honest. The thighs still need to be done, the fur will cover the tops of the plasticard bands, which will also have studs added to them.

I'm starting to convince myself to leave the torso as it is (the MkI armour usually has a torso similiar to that found on MkIV Maximus armour), the small buckle in the middle of the straps will be filled with greenstuff with a small lightning emblem.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/ThousandSons1002.jpg?t=1207664134

The helmet isn't staying where it is by the way. He'll be holding that in his left hand. I havn't decided wether to give him an old style bolt pistol (the type that came with metal marines and I think may still come with the plastic Khorne Bezerkers. Anyone got any spare? Let me know if you have!), or to arm him with one of Synapses "extended" chainswords.

Deus Ruinus ~ He'll think his armours the best thing since sliced techno-barbarians because its state-of-the-art as far as he's concerned! This poor bloke is proto-Astartes! The dawn of a new era...

PondaNagura ~ That is exactly the kind of "style" I'm looking for! Remember Dark Future, the Mad Max style game?

doghouse
04-04-2008, 00:48
Excellent idea mate and the model looks great so far!

PondaNagura
04-04-2008, 01:45
awesome start can't wait to see more

Burnthem
04-04-2008, 01:57
He'll think his armours the best thing since sliced techno-barbarians LOL :D

Excellent work so far, keep it up!

brotherAkkyshan
06-04-2008, 21:32
Doghouse ~ Thanks for the positive comments, I have spent alot of time looking at your fantastic creations and always take alot of inspiration form them!

Just a small update, I've now added some more fur and the studs on the thigh armour (aplolgies for the poor pictures).

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/ThousandSons1004.jpg?t=1207664198

As you can (just about!) see, I still need to fill a small gap between the top of the fur and the groin. I'm in a two minds what t do here, I don't know wether the add more fur, which creates a sort of "woolly trousers" look, or the greenstuff chainmail in there which would make it look like fur wrapped around armour. Any thoughts?
I'm currently looking for a good chainmail tutorial so any hints and suggestions would be appreciated!

I've also been reading alot of pre pre-heresy background, so I may add some bits of backstory later. Something for you all to look forward too! :p

Col. Wales
06-04-2008, 22:04
Add some of the roman style Groin straps.

synapse
06-04-2008, 22:16
those cadian helmets really look good on those marines.

quick question: what size base is that? a 40mm one? since i planning on using those bases on my own marines im wodnering what will look best

brotherAkkyshan
06-04-2008, 22:24
Col. Wales ~ I'm not sure what you mean by groin straps, are those the vertical straps that come with (I think) the plastic space marine commander set? If so I think they would make him look to much like a modern space marine.

Synapse ~ Yeah, its a Privateer Press 40mm base. I only have three at the moment, but I'm looking on buying a couple more along with a number of 25mm ones. Do you know if they sell bases on their own (the ones I have, I've knicked from unmade Hordes models I have lying around!).

Brother Plasticard
06-04-2008, 23:12
Synapse ~ Yeah, its a Privateer Press 40mm base. I only have three at the moment, but I'm looking on buying a couple more along with a number of 25mm ones. Do you know if they sell bases on their own (the ones I have, I've knicked from unmade Hordes models I have lying around!).

They sure do (right here) (http://store.privateerpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=118)

Cheers!
Brother P.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-04-2008, 00:58
Fantastic stuff, but the pics appear to be down. Please sort this out - inspiration from your excellent work is required!

Col. Wales
07-04-2008, 03:42
Yep those are the kind of straps I was referring to.

brotherAkkyshan
08-04-2008, 15:13
Sorry about the loss of pictures folks! I'm new to the whole "image hosting" thing and didn't realise that when I re-organised my folders I'd caused the pictures to vanish.

I'll post a new pic or too tomorrow. I've finished the legs, started the torso and glued the head in position (though he is now facing the other way!).

Thanks for the advice too on where to get the Privateer bases. All I need now is to track down some Cadian Heavy Weapon Team heads (the ones with the visor type thingies!), some "strapped" space marine torsos, and some space marine "greaved" legs and I'll be able to crack on! Any ideas?!? :eyebrows:

Deus Ruinus
08-04-2008, 15:36
how interesting, the crude armour is beguining to have me interested! amazing work dude.

brotherAkkyshan
08-04-2008, 15:48
I know what you mean about the crude nature of the mkI armour! I think its got something to do with the fact that I can remember reading the original Rogue Trader rulebook way back when. That was full of "mad max"-esque pictures of guys 'n' gals in studded leather and chains. :angel:

Deus Ruinus
08-04-2008, 15:57
yeah, that was some amazing stuff back then. also its the way how the marines in the horus heresy describe it as well, such as loken reading the history book of terra. however the armour does look cool, but the every first mark model do have thier flaws lol.

brotherAkkyshan
08-04-2008, 16:12
There are some major differences between marine power armour and mkI armour, the biggest being that only the upper part of the armour is powered in any way. According to the fluff this is because during the time of the Unification Wars, most combat was close combat. The arms of the suits were powered to increase the amount of damage they could do with relatively primative weapons. The torso was also more heavily armoured than the legs. The helmets were just that... helmets! Not enclosed, no life support functions and no enhanced senses, etc. I'm not even sure if the proto-astartes had bolters! I'm thinking of arming mine with shotguns (shotguns are sooooo mad max!).

Talking of shotguns, ruleswise I'm looking on using the Space Marine Codex, the smaller proto-astartes will be used as scouts. The larger marines (I'm only making a couple at most) will use normal marine profiles. Maybe in terminator armour... not decided yet, depends how big they turn out.

Deus Ruinus
08-04-2008, 18:41
indeed, seems interesting. i just have to ask though, what colour are you to be painting them? also lasguns were a comon use to the proto-astartes, while the boltgun was a honerable weapon given to the higher ranks only.... well thats what ive been told in the GW could be some lies that they are trying to avoid. but then again in rouge trader the marines did have lasguns in thier wargear list if i remember. ah well. cant wait to see more amazing stuff.

brotherAkkyshan
09-04-2008, 23:00
As promised here's the latest installment!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/ThousandSons1005.jpg?t=1207778286

The legs are done, and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. I decided to go with the full fur as all my attempts at greenstuffing chainmail turned out... blurgh! I've removed the chest eagle, greenstuffed over it and also fill in the front clasp. I was thinking of sculpting a lightning emblem on it but its too small really, so I think I'll just paint the all lightning details on (I'm going for the weathered look, so his armour will be a little scratched up to say the least!).

I've also decided on a weapon too... this is the Ork bolter/shooter thingie that has no glyph on it! I think it looks alot clunkier than a modern bolter or even a pre-heresy style bolter... would be ok too as a "counts as" storm bolter if I decide to use the terminator profile.

I'm having a little trouble with the shoulder pads at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any advice? This is what I'm aiming for (the pic in my avatar has a sort of rim or border, like a modern marine shoulder pad).

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/91px-SM-MKI-02.jpg?t=1207778870

So far I've tried plasticard but it makes the pads too big and they have a huge gap at the top. Hard to expalin, but it dosn't look right! My next attempt is going to be using greenstuff. Hope this works as after that I'm all outta ideas!

PondaNagura
10-04-2008, 00:10
i've tried making those before, it's pretty hard. i used regular marine pads, and filled in central space with greenstuff to be flush with the trim level.
then allowed it to cure for an hour, before pushing up a lip to define the levels.
then i used a mechanical pencil to stamp rivets in.

no pictures, i can't find my camera power cord.

dr.oetk3r
10-04-2008, 00:18
Looks good, except for the fur. Looks sort of daft to be honest :/

brotherAkkyshan
10-04-2008, 12:59
dr.oetk3r ~ I thought you'd dig the fur vibe seeing as you're a Attlian man yourself. The mkI legs were not like modern power armour, they were armoured in whatever way was seen fit at the time. These guys are going to be mounted on snow bases, hence the fur motif. I'm also going to carry it on, on other models too, maybe fur pelts, collars, etc. This guy happens to be going for the 1980's "yeti boot" look (some of you here may be old enough to remember... personally, I'm still having flashbacks now!). :p

dr.oetk3r
10-04-2008, 17:25
dr.oetk3r ~ I thought you'd dig the fur vibe seeing as you're a Attlian man yourself. The mkI legs were not like modern power armour, they were armoured in whatever way was seen fit at the time. These guys are going to be mounted on snow bases, hence the fur motif. I'm also going to carry it on, on other models too, maybe fur pelts, collars, etc. This guy happens to be going for the 1980's "yeti boot" look (some of you here may be old enough to remember... personally, I'm still having flashbacks now!). :p

I'm not against fur. I just feel that it looks out of place on the legs, and would look better as a cloak or something similar. But it's ok, the model still looks great with it. :)

brotherAkkyshan
10-04-2008, 21:39
Ok, so despite standing in my local GW store for half an hour this afternoon reading a copy of the Horus Heresy Collected Visions book (what a exquisite tome! :)), I managed to get a little bit done on this guy once the kids had gone for their afternoon nap.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/dag1974uk/Legion%20V/ThousandSons1006.jpg?t=1207860244

This guys weapon is a *******' handcannon! I had to use the second largest bit I have just to drill out the barrel! I'm still pretty much set on having him holding his helmet in his other hand, though the idea of him holding some form of standard is also an option.

The backpack is now large enough, being made from a chaos backpack and plasticard.

Still need to get the bits ordered for the other (smaller) guys, hopefully I'm going to expand this into a five man squad.

PondaNagura
11-04-2008, 02:59
hmm, i don't really see him carrying his helmet under his arm with that pose. i could see this guy with some sort of pole-arm/standard. like with roman talismans dangling off of a crossbar, anchored to a trident type weapon; since the unification war was a time of barbarity and thus could be both a psychological and actual weapon to frighten those mortal mongrels. maybe have the lightning bolts be the prongs?

but that's me.

dr.oetk3r
11-04-2008, 05:18
Looks good. The Ork Shoota works very well with this model.

KlutzyKultist of Kaoz
11-04-2008, 06:26
I am intrigued. subscribed.

synapse
11-04-2008, 08:25
thats coming along really nicely... i love the ork bolter. looks 'right' somehow

brotherAkkyshan
11-04-2008, 20:39
Having temporarily attached the other arm (blu-tac ftw!), it looks as if he's actually going to be holding his helmet in his hand rather than under his arm. The quick mock-up I've done actually makes him look like he's just torn his helmet off and is about to launch into a charge! I'm thinking of drilling a small "bolt" hole in the helmet, implying someones had the audacity to actually shoot at him, and he's just about to show them the error of their ways!

Praexes
11-04-2008, 21:07
Really nice work so far! Consider me subscribed. ;)

lack0fbettername
15-04-2008, 16:59
akkyshan - i stumbled upone this thread cause im considerin making a few of these myself. I really like what you have done so far, and modeling looks ace.

However a few things bother me. What little i have read about unification era is that they wernt "real" space marines yet, thus they were smaller, also some sources say that the MK1 armor was little more then a slight improvment over current scout/carapace armour.

Its just your guy seams kind of big and high techy for the time he lived in.

Wolflord Havoc
15-04-2008, 19:03
Didn't Straight as an Arrow Garrow originaly hail from Earth (unlike the majority of the Death Guard who had subsequantly come from Purturbos home world) and I am sure he talked about using much older and more basic forms of Power Armor at the very beginning of the Great Crusade?

Been a While since I read Flight of the Eisenstien.

Excellent effort though - I think holding the helmet losely in his left hand is the way forward...

lack0fbettername
15-04-2008, 19:12
Havoc its possible garrow was wearing MKii crusade armour or later.

He was in the death pre-primarch, however that does not make him unification era automaticaly. As with you it has been some time sense i read the book, but i would imagine that he was recruited/geneticaly altered sometime after unification and after the creation of "real" space marines and of the later MK2 & maybe MK3 armour.

PondaNagura
15-04-2008, 20:20
they were genetically modified soldiers. kind of a proto-astartes, akin to what the custodes would become. MK1 was somewhere between carapace and power armor, in that it strengthen upper body and arms, and was probably close to a ceramite/metal composite, though the legs were un-augmented, but often armored. but not fully enclose or had the room to support life-systems like model power armor. alot of the power cabling could have been exposed, and the powerplant were large, crude, and also had heatsinks.

The death guard were originally called Dusk Raiders (their primarch is Mortarion, not Perturabo (IW)). Garro was probably post-unification wars on terra, but may have been around in the early parts of the GC.

so far this a is a great looking model

EmMeTt
16-04-2008, 12:39
I think garro was rewarded special armour by the emperor for his service in the Unification wars or something like that.

Aeolian
16-04-2008, 14:41
I think you should work on the weapons more - the Bolter, directly taken from an Ork, doesn't fit the feel of MK1 to me.. or pre heresy.

I would GS and mod it up to look like something out of RT.

It's all good though.

PondaNagura
16-04-2008, 17:18
i dunno it looks more like an over-sized classic boltgun to me.

LoneSniperSG
03-05-2008, 04:00
I like that improv bolter. Very nice and has the rifle look that a Bolter SHOULD have. (I think they look too much like SMG's to be called a rifle..)

zealot!
03-05-2008, 05:08
hmmm. im interested *subscribes

LordCypher
03-05-2008, 05:49
i'd almost look more at the style of the gaming culture at time in which 40K was founded in...the unification wars seem to be a call back to those times when mohawks with studded leather were still cool, robots and cybernmetic warriors ran rampant, and every woman was a mimic to Heavy Metal.

HAHAHA that is absolutely true. If you look through some of the old Gamesday and model guides from the rogue trader days almost every marine has all sorts of lame slogans on their armor. "Born to kill", "Killing machine". I remember a buddy of mine had a crimson fists army in like 1987 and all the marines had like, 'Aliens' quotes painted on them. LoL but that was the thing back then. 40k was alot more comical back then and it gets more serious in each new edition.