PDA

View Full Version : Power Stones and Dispel Scrolls

Necrotyr18
01-04-2008, 23:24
Hello fellow Warseerers, I have come across a bit of a stumbling area with these two items after designing a new list.

Well, under Power Stones it states "It is therefore possible to for several wizards to carry Powers Stones, and for a wizard to carry more than one, in addition to one other arcane item."

Now this didn't really bother me until I wondered to myself, say if I take 2 Power Stones can I take two Dispel Scrolls?

It says one other item, does this mean one or one type of item?

Thanks in advance.

SuperBeast
01-04-2008, 23:32
Power Stones and dispel scrolls don't 'count' as your arcane item pick, although you must be able to use arcane items to pick them.

You could take 4 on a lord, for example.
Or a mixture of the two.

**deleted**

Atrahasis
02-04-2008, 00:05
Power Stones and Dispel Scrolls are still arcane items, even if they can be combined with others.

If you take both, then you can have only one of each.

If you are carrying 4 dispel scrolls, you're carrying 4 arcane items, not just one.

SuperBeast
02-04-2008, 00:21
Reread the BRB... Page 121, 'Wizards can have one arcane item as well as carry several scrolls'.

Page 122, 'In a similar way to scrolls, Power Stones are not unique items'.

Reading both sections thorughly, you can have as many of either as your points allow; 1+ Dispel scrolls counts as one arcane item, 1+ Power Stones as the other.

So my initial assumption about DP + PS + A N Other was wrong, so post edited.

Necrotyr18
02-04-2008, 01:29
Thank you guys for the answers.

Atrahasis
02-04-2008, 11:36
Reread the BRB... Page 121, 'Wizards can have one arcane item as well as carry several scrolls'.

Page 122, 'In a similar way to scrolls, Power Stones are not unique items'.

Where does it say that any number of either is a single arcane item?

Permission to carry more than one is not the same as saying many count as one.

Porksta
02-04-2008, 14:43
Where does it say that any number of either is a single arcane item?

Permission to carry more than one is not the same as saying many count as one.

Doesn't matter really. You can have multiple scrolls and multiple power stones, so why does it matter if many counts as one or doesn't?

Atrahasis
02-04-2008, 15:25
Because you can only carry ONE arcane item alongside a dispel scroll, not many.

Taking two dispel scrolls is taking TWO arcane items, and so you cannot take a power stone, as power stones can only be taken with ONE other arcane item, and vice versa.

DeathlessDraich
02-04-2008, 16:36
If you take both, then you can have only one of each.

One Dispel Scroll and several power stones
OR
One Power stone and several Dispel Scrolls

seems to be acceptable combinations.

Skaven are even more flexible:

Several Dispel Scrolls plus several Warp Scrolls (or Warpstorm Scroll pts permitting) plus either several Warpstone Tokens, or just one arcane item like a Power Stone or Storm Daemon.

Anyone in the Rules quiz should forget they have read this as it was meant to be a future question :p

Atrahasis
02-04-2008, 16:44
I wondered when you'd show up :)

Strictly by the rules, a wizard can only carry another arcane item alongside several scrolls or stones. In other words, you have to take 3 or more scrolls/stones before you can take another arcane.

If we relax the restriction by treating "several" as "one or more", then we get the following restrictions (paraphrased):

Scrolls : a wizard can carry one arcane item as well as one or more scrolls.
Power Stones: a wizard can carry one arcane item as well as one or more stones.

With these restrictions, 1 scroll and 1 stone is all a wizard can carry, since both restrictions apply if he takes both. 2 scrolls and 1 stone, for example, contravenes the rules for stones.

Several Dispel Scrolls plus several Warp Scrolls (or Warpstorm Scroll pts permitting)

No, no model can carry more than one Warpscroll or Warpstorm Scroll.

DeathlessDraich
03-04-2008, 08:45
No, no model can carry more than one Warpscroll or Warpstorm Scroll.

pg 121 indicates that wizards can have several scrolls of different type.

Atrahasis
03-04-2008, 08:47
It also indicates that no character can have more than one bound spell.

knightwire
03-04-2008, 19:08
Scrolls : a wizard can carry one arcane item as well as one or more scrolls.
Power Stones: a wizard can carry one arcane item as well as one or more stones.

It does say you can only carry one other Arcane Item, but under Scrolls (p.121) it states: "Unlike other arcane items, there is no limit on the number of scrolls a wizard can carry, other than the total points value of magic items he is permitted."

So if you take 2 Power Stones you are allowed one other AI... unless that AI is a Scroll in which case that limit does not apply as the Scroll rules specifically remove any 'AI' limits aside from total points.

Since Power Stones are described as similar to Scrolls the reverse is true as well. (Not that it makes a difference.)

Atrahasis
03-04-2008, 19:27
Rubbish.

Saying "Unlike other arcane items" does not mean they are not arcane items, it is merely preamble to the following sentence which tells us HOW they differ from other arcane items.

A scroll is still an arcane item, and the rules of mathematics on counting still apply, so 2 scrolls is 2 arcane items.

knightwire
03-04-2008, 19:51
No Atrahasis. I didn't say they are not arcane items. I said they are unlike Arcane Items when applying limits. It's not a preamble at all, it's all one sentence talking only about the item limit for Arcane items. That's the only difference that exists between normal arcane items and scrolls.

You are right 2 dispell scrolls are 2 arcane items, but for the rules in WFB they can not be limited by count.

Atrahasis
03-04-2008, 19:56
Yes they can, by another arcane item limiting their count.

knightwire
03-04-2008, 20:05
If you're talking about an normal Arcane Item I would agree. As it says Scrolls are only limited by points I don't. :)

Nurgling Chieftain
03-04-2008, 21:48
RaI, the phrase under abuse is clearly a mere reference to the normal limit of one item of each type.

RaW, go right ahead and argue to your hearts' content...